Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How will jumping affect YOU?  (Read 3680 times)

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How will jumping affect YOU?
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:54:12 am »

To me, critter jumping is not a source of worry! It is full of wonder! I no longer have to build such complex scaffolding to create my masterpieces, and I can create pits without stairs leading out of them. My forts shall be even more beautiful!!!

What about you guys?
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How will jumping affect YOU?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 02:06:43 am »

not all that much...wait, is this also the update where cage traps get nerfed? I keep getting the arcs mixed up...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:13:31 am »

I foresee platforming, lots of it. Players constructing jumping challenges for themselves and others, and then going through them with adventurers or seeing how invader AI handles the obstacle course. Perhaps generated site will start to have (more) situations where you would need to either fly or make a jump to get by.

I for one plan to create a gauntlet for POWs. I let one out of the cage, and if they make all the jumps, the mook gets to go home. But if they miss a jump, they have to answer to the justice of a magma-carp and giant-magma-sponge filled magma moat. Magma.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:38:12 am »

I'll have to make either bigger walls or bigger moats. One-tile wall won't hold them anymore.

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:33:33 am »

IIRC, smoothed natural stone walls will not be climbable, so a 2-tile ditch dug in natural stone on at least the fortress side should stop most invaders. Better yet, deep, cast obsidian moat filled with magma or speeding minecarts.

I think I'll have a lot more fun with trap design in this version. Most certainly some fun with design flaws as well.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:07:05 am »

I'm really excited about this update, particularly for enemy jumping and climbing (which I'm glad to hear is going to be in).

I love the game but really it's absurdly easy to succeed once you get a few basic concepts down.  Now if they nerf cage traps and make it possible for enemies to either climb or break down drawbridges we'll be set.

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:58:34 am »

Not that much, I guess I'll have to make my moats wider-

cage traps get nerfed

AW HELL NO

;D

But yeah not having miners perpetually stuck in holes is going to be more useful than it should in my case.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 12:20:13 pm »

Nerfed how?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:59:39 pm »

I assume there will be some factors that involve how likely it is to work or hold the creature.. For example right now a simple, poorly made wooden cage trap will hold a dragon (and everything else in the game).. Which makes no sense.. I assume that a 'nerf' for them would make some creatures immune (and not just cause they avoid the trap but cause they just cannot be caught by it) and some creatures able to escape poorly made (or depending on the material) traps.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

Stop panicking, everyone, there are no nerfed traps planned for this release. Yet.

On topic though, I'm looking forward to goblins climbing on trees and jumping over walls. Maybe a magma trap that involves a bait animal on top of a tree - and when the goblins are up there, it's going to get awfully hot, hehe...
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 02:32:52 pm »

I'd say there are going to be new ways of delivering goblins to their place of death, that's it.
Fool them into jumping onto a hatch, time it's opening so it happens while goblin is in the air.
The aboveground castles are probably going to be more challenging though, considering that goblin will also be capable of swarming dwarven champions with the new combat system.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »

I'm looking forward to the jumping. I just like the idea of having a 1-tile wide jump to get into your fort and then a weapon trap on the other side.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 03:15:16 pm »

It just means you need more than just a simple wall. The wall will need a slight outward overhang.

EG,  something like this:

Z0:
(outside)
O=======O
(inside)

Z1
(outside)
O+++++++O
O+++++++O (<--Z0 wall underneath this one)
(inside)

Put some weapon traps on top of it if you are feeling paranoid. :D (Since they are jumping, they cant dodge the trap on landing!)
:D

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »

Just got hit with 'waiting for version x' syndrome hard.
So hard.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 07:22:08 pm »

Stop panicking, everyone, there are no nerfed traps planned for this release. Yet.

On topic though, I'm looking forward to goblins climbing on trees and jumping over walls. Maybe a magma trap that involves a bait animal on top of a tree - and when the goblins are up there, it's going to get awfully hot, hehe...

ah, thanks.   

oh, and I'll probably just build walls like an inverted pyramid, since I'll have the hang of mass-wallbuilding forts by then. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:24:07 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: [1] 2