Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is secure beekeeping actually possible?  (Read 9471 times)

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is secure beekeeping actually possible?
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:26 am »

I read the thread on secure beekeeping, and it addresses half the problem. You're best off with 40 hives and one beekeeper, you put each hive adjacent to an "outdoor" square (e.g. opened to the sky then roofed over with glass), and you DON'T MOD THE BEES TO BE LETHAL. Ahem. You can also allow only half of the hives to ever be harvested, so that the other half ensure that there are always hives ready to be split. But then your idiot beekeeper will consistently go outside and collect bees from hives in the wild rather than the two-steps-away indoor hive just waiting to be split. I tried putting my beekeeper in his own military squad (in full steel armor, for good measure and in expectation of failure) and burrowing him indoors. To no avail; three beekeepers in a row were caught somewhere off in la-la land when an ambush arrived. I shudder to think what it would be like somewhere with evil weather.  So: is it possible to keep beekeepers from going off chasing wild hives? All I can think of is to pave over all outdoor hives and hope no new ones arrive.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Is secure beekeeping actually possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:12:53 am »

Wild hives only appear on [soil] type floors. If you floor them all over outside you won't have any outside to worry about.

However, it's been my experience that dwarves will pick a splittable tame hive first if it is closer.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:14 am »

Wild hives only appear on [soil] type floors. If you floor them all over outside you won't have any outside to worry about.

Then it appears I have another reason pave the entire map.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:54:57 pm »

Or you could just lock him in, and have a chute for giving him stuff, and another chute for him outputting honey products.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »

Or you could just lock him in, and have a chute for giving him stuff, and another chute for him outputting honey products.

That doesn't work. You just get an infinity of "can't find path" spam, I think. Either that or the beekeeper just stands in place until getting call-of-natured (hungry, thirsty, sleepy).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »

I have 40 hives, 10 of which are set to not be gathered. This is about what you need in order to always have a splittable tame hive ready, though if I wanted to ensure that a splittable tame hive was always available I'd go for 12 or maybe 15 'no gather' hives.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:22:20 pm »

I have 40 hives, 10 of which are set to not be gathered. This is about what you need in order to always have a splittable tame hive ready, though if I wanted to ensure that a splittable tame hive was always available I'd go for 12 or maybe 15 'no gather' hives.

Yeah, I had eighteen of thirty-six set to no-gather, and there never seemed to be a shortage of splittable tame hives. But my beekeepers insisted on going out and getting slaughtered.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:34:12 pm »

BURROWS.

Ahem, burrows.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:39 am »

BURROWS.

Ahem, burrows.
If this

That doesn't work. You just get an infinity of "can't find path" spam, I think. Either that or the beekeeper just stands in place until getting call-of-natured (hungry, thirsty, sleepy).

Is true then it would presumably be the same for burrows.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 05:30:20 am »

Correct. Bee keeping labor for "Install live bees" does not obey burrow restriction, because items DO NOT LOCK FROM TASK. (That is WHAT CAUSES the bee keeper bug! LOL!)

You can still prevent wild hives from forming by flooring over the whole embark.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:52:21 am »

Just a heads up on flooring over the entire embark: there is a longstanding bug in which any vermin colony, including hives can also spawn over water.
Depending on which would be more work, you could also attempt to maintain so many safe hives that it prevents outside hives from spawning because there is a set # of vermin colonies that can exist at any one time.
You can also semi-control where they spawn by destroying any hives that you don't want outside, and hope they spawn somewhere safe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:54:11 am by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

You could just flood the world with magma once a season or so, to clean things up.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 02:23:21 pm »

Or cast the world.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 10:44:37 pm »

Any idea what that limit is?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:46:54 am »

For what?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: [1] 2