Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Antilia (MMORPG with Fox-people, steampunk ratmen, and dragons)[In Development]  (Read 12312 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been following this game for a few years now, and I really like its potential.

Why you should care if you're indifferent to anthropomorphic animals and/or MMORPGs: Antilia aims to be innovative, and I think the lead dev a good chance of pulling it off. Crafting swords currently involves moving sliders to change the blade's shape (and stats), then attaching the blade to a hilt or pole, also customized. You can make a golden scimitar or steel gladius with the same recipe. The game is not focused on combat and being the best warrior with the best gear, and has different character advancement paths. The dev team is dedicated to keeping the atmosphere family friendly.

Website

Spoiler: Race 1: Taipii (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Class system (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Payment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crafting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quests (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Economy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Housing (click to show/hide)

Yes, there is a lot of "they plan to do __, DIFFERENTLY!" but the game is already playable, they have their engine, and they listen to their community. I think they have a good chance of succeeding at making a fun game. I'm pretty much burned out on MMOs, and rarely buy any game other than cheap Steam games, but I helped fund this.

Edit: The kickstarter wasn't funded. Development will continue, but the devs spend much of their time at paying jobs instead of working on this full time. Server uptime is limited to occasional tests and events, rather than being online 24/7.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:15:12 pm by Nirur Torir »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

This could either be amazing, okay, or turn into a game where there is 1 best way to do things for every way of doing things.
Watching intently.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile

What Facekillz said, this reminds me of taking bits from both ATITD and SWG, which has ALL of my attention as both of those games had tremendous playability for RP, character customization, and all around non-combat fun. Heck, ATITD didn't even have a combat system last I checked.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My mild interest evaporated when I got down to the monthly sub bit. No thanks.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

furries! This will go badly.
I got nothing

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My mild interest evaporated when I got down to the monthly sub bit. No thanks.

Well the game seems to be awfully similar to Ultima Online. And both UO and WoW have monthly subs without (at least blatant) cashshops.

Well overgrowth seemed to have some succes despite chunks of furry drama being strapped to it.

Anyway this looks like a furry re-imagining of the old old OLD Ultima Online with more modern graphics.
I guess it has a decent chance of being actually decent.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:49:59 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

There is a battle between "Oh my god, playable dragons" and "its an MMO..." going on in my head at the moment.

Will watch this for now.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a battle between "Oh my god, playable dragons" and "its an MMO..." going on in my head at the moment.

Will watch this for now.
From what i see they are basing it on Ultima Online so it will probably stay away from modern MMORPG cliches.
On the other hand (or paw in this case i guess) it has (again just like UO) a monthly subscription so you can't just jump in decide if you like it and buy premium service or leave and uninstall in disgust.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile

So they're trying to keep the atmosphere friendly... With animal-human hybrids in the typical MMORPG 'Less is more!' clothing? I like the sentiment, nootttt so much the execution.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

So they're trying to keep the atmosphere friendly... With animal-human hybrids in the typical MMORPG 'Less is more!' clothing? I like the sentiment, nootttt so much the execution.

To be honest I have never seen a single MMORPG that didn't use the "less is more" ideal for female clothing.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah, some of their ideas look really cool. (magic system thats actually different?!? crafting via minigames to make comepltely custom shaped weapons that are uinque...)
 I don't mind the idea of a monthy subscription per-say (it allows for a game to support servers even with a small user-base, has no initial fee [they mention a free-trial], ..and if i'm really playing something for multiple months, ...paying every month isn't that bad persay.. and if you only play a month or two  [and enjoy it, but get bored after that], then it cost less then a full priced game.), plus it avoids free-to-play gimmicks like adding excess grind then letting people pay money to decrease it.

I tend to think any kickstarter MMO is doomed to fail though, just because they are so huge of a undertaking, and tend to take cost/time overrun to such a extreme that none can survive [without a giant publisher, or cutting all the content/features to bare-bones].. They do seem to have at least made some progress since they are already in a very early alpha state though.

Doubts the kickstarter will reach its goal either way, but its not like you lose your money for backing if it fails:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Probly need to be picked up by some actual game-news websites/people to have a chance.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:03:53 pm by Rift »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

I want to hear more about the combat system and that super-customizable weaponcrafting.  Does it MATTER if I have a long axeblade on my poleaxeorwhatever, if they're too close and I hit them with the haft, does it do less damage, will there be more weapons/movesets than just 'swing left, swing right, swing down, poke'.  I am envisioning like Mount and Blade except open world, with buildable towns and facilities, and am getting pretty hype.

I hope 'You can be an innkeeper!' will resolve itself in a better manner than just 'I loaf around in this one house doing nothing, and another player comes by every hour or so to raid my cupboards, sleep in my beds, and set my building on fire without paying before leaving'.  I am somewhat skeptical of it having a big enough playerbase to make that worthwhile.

I wish the ratdudes weren't expansion material, Skaven are the best.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dev team does a weekly Twitch livestream on Tuesdays where they answer questions. I'd hope that long pole-weapons would deal less damage if you strike with the pole, but the alpha 1 combat system was more of a placeholder "push skill button - swing weapon - hit something in front of you" deal, and they haven't said much about the new system.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
I need to put something interesting here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

To be honest I have never seen a single MMORPG that didn't use the "less is more" ideal for female clothing.

FFXI, when it started, was pretty respectful iirc.

C'mon now. If you not into the furry thing you can simply not comment on it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3