Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Muses of Joan Bentson: Today Is The Last Day Of Your Previous Life  (Read 2344 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: The Muses of Joan Bentson: Sign Ups
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 07:58:00 pm »

Done!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:02:37 pm »

Okay, I'll start working on the post tomorrow. See you guys then.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:05 am »

January 1st, 2014.
Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Joan Stats (click to show/hide)

You wake up as Joan drinks her morning coffee. The sun has barely risen from the sky, yet she seems to be up and about, albeit with a vague sense of unease. Hopefully that won't transform into full-on dread but it seems that happens basically every day. Joan has nothing else to eat. You can't actually remember when Joan could afford basically anything apart from microwave meals, cigarettes, or coffee. Speaking of, she's lights up her first cigarette of the day. She thought she wouldn't be a smoker, but it turns out that smoking is an excellent substitute for breakfast.

She also thought she'd be living in a proper place by age 24. Turns out, she's still in a single room apartment that is so small she could touch the two opposing walls without extending her arms fully. The only things in here is a microwave on a table (Under which is a minifridge), a typewriter (It was cheaper then a computer and it's lasted her for several years), and her bed, which she is currently sitting at. She stashed a few piles of books under the bed. You're not sure if Joan could actually survive without those.

Well. The postman might have brought the editor's letter by now. The postboxes are downstairs, in the lobby.  Maybe Joan should go check on that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Muses of Joan Bentson: Today Is The Last Day Of Your Previous Life
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 11:07:36 am »

"Check the postboxes, Joan. Though the news are unlikely to be good, you must continue on this path regardless of your chances of success."

Perhaps she should indeed check the postboxes. In fact, she must. It has to be done right now. Check the post boxes. Your very existence depends on it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:47:13 am by Harry Baldman »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 11:32:07 am »

"Eh, you! Yeah, you! Right there! Go check the postboxes! This isn't the time for philosophy! This is time for ACTION! Action Philosophy, that'll work!"

Check the postboxes, and, uh, can I have a cigarette? No, no, as VP, I shouldn't smoke...
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 05:08:16 pm »

"While your other muses wish you to do action for the time being, I say we plan ahead. We must earn enough money to buy actual food! Yes. Food. Especially cheesecake. ONLY cheesecake. But now, just check the mail, my vassal."

Check mail.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 05:12:12 pm »

"Check the mail. Check out for spies. Check out that lavish Frenchman in the corner. Mainly just check the mail."

Check mail.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 05:16:07 pm »

Throw that cigarette away, Joan. I've already told you that you are simply wasting your potential, and we'd hate to see that happen to such a strong person, wouldn't we? Go check the mail now, hopefully something useful has come in for you.

Chastise for smoking, check mail.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 10:24:03 am »

"Yeah have a cigarette, you want to turn your body into an industrial novel factory you're going to have to have the right input. Best get some coffee on while we're at it kid. But then it's novel time chief and we're going to take that cigarette and mug of coffee and any letters from the mailbox and the typewriter, obviously, under the bed. Yeah and then we're going to write.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 11:21:42 am »

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Joan Stats (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Everyone
CHECK THE MAIL!
Joan goes out of her apartment, down the corridor, into the stairwell, and goes down about six flights of stairs until she reaches the bottom. On one hand, she always feels tired after that and she occasionally likes to imagine her apartment getting an elevator. On the other hand, she's never felt more healthy after working off those cheesecakes into something other then fat. She walks into the lobby of the apartment, where Tacita the security guard is. Joan has an incredibly awkward crush on her: you guess it's something about her hair. Joan always had a thing for amber-colored hair, on guys as well. Unfortunately, she's never gotten to act on it.

Tacita nods at her. Joan smiles awkwardly, then tries to get the mail incredibly quickly. She opens it and finds the mail within. A single letter, from Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Publishing. She takes it.

"So, how's the writing going?" Tacita asks.

Joan nearly drops the letter in shock. Her heart is beating like the clappers, and you feel terribly embarrassed. "Oh, good! Just you... You know, just doing... Things."

Tacita raises an eyebrow at this awkward smalltalk, then as the lull in the conversation develops, Joan opens the letter.

"Joan,
We have noticed an increase for demands for romance novels judging by the requests. So, we need you to do a romance novel. We have three specific requests for a book: you must take on at least one, but taking on more would increase the quality of the work and thus your paycheck.
1: There must be a character named Bogomil Thomas.
2: There must be a fight scene at the end of the book taking place in a farmhouse.
3: There must be a traveler at the beginning.
Thank God for clients with vague ideas for what their book should be. Now, get writing.
- The Editor."

Joan puts the note in her inventory.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 11:26:04 am »

The Lonely Road

2 and 3

"Hey! We got a job! Great! Now do something already!"

EDIT: "Here's how it starts. It shows people traveling across this one field over time, and around the Civil War, there's a big battle, with this little log cabin sitting in the background. Then a road is built, and the log cabin becomes a house. Finally, we get a woman sitting at her window, watching a man, wearing a pack, walking down the road towards the west. Wait. The log cabin was there since the first colonists landed, and this is all from the point of view of people watching through the window! That's great, who's the best, me! Figure in the Field, you take over. Talk about who that guy is or something."

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:38:53 am by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 05:19:54 am »

(Sorry for the delay!)

"Alright, here's a nice character building moment: So this traveller guy is bearded and mysterious, right. He comes to the window and knocks on it and he's smoking a clove. Wait, is that anachronistic? Maybe he's chewing tobacco. What time is this? He says his name's Bogomil Thomas and he's looking for his father that used to live in this house. Now, the protagonist slams the window on him, yeah, this sets up a mystery. Um, there should probably be some dialogue or some such. What do the rest of you think?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:33 am »

((Good gods, I'm late for this.))

"Bogomil Thomas is, of course, a monk. A middle-aged, small and withered man with a deep sadness in his eyes and an unfortunate tendency to smoke nearly as much as he breathes, rolling another cigarette as soon as he's done with the previous one. When the window is slammed on him, he shrinks back, feeling deeply injured by the gesture."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:21 pm »

(Right, posting an update soon, so get a move on with the posting, please.)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »

I'll post soon, sorry I've been so backed up with schoolwork that I'm falling behind on many RTDs :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3