Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52780 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #255 on: December 28, 2014, 03:35:36 pm »

Yes, the story of saving Vvardenfall from da ultimate evul.
actually yea i guess
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
does kind of qualify as da ultimate evul, although unlike the big evuls of oblivion and skyrim it only indirectly affects the world through other people using it...

Morrowind's still isn't exactly an epic to shake the ages...
true

The main thing I remember was: Lots and Lots of Racism.
yeah wasn't it great  :P

honestly i would have liked it if they took the xenophobia a lot farther and for example made it a lot harder to join or interact with telvanni or tribunal temple or other highly xenophobic factions as a non-Dunmer, but I'm sure a lot of people would hate such a feature
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:52:54 pm by TripJack »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 28, 2014, 05:02:10 pm »

to be honest the racism in Morrowind towards the player was kinda tame. It's not like people aggressed you for being a foreigner.

Well, unless you count the Ashlanders, but it's more "hey don't get into the khan's yurt he may take it badly"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »

does kind of qualify as da ultimate evul, although unlike the big evuls of oblivion and skyrim it only indirectly affects the world through other people using it...

Really, I think all the best parts of the plot (like this one) are influenced pretty directly by Daggerfall.  The concept of the "dragon break" came out of the end of DF, and was pretty prevelant through the meta-myth of MW.  Then, the whole idea of "who is using the artifact and why" was a direct port from the plot of the previous game.

There is some REALLY GOOD stuff in this series, unfortunately it is mixed in with a lot of real crap and some seriously pervey and sexually repressed juvenile bullshit.  Even as far back as Arena this has been true.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2014, 08:29:06 pm »

to be honest the racism in Morrowind towards the player was kinda tame. It's not like people aggressed you for being a foreigner.

Well, unless you count the Ashlanders, but it's more "hey don't get into the khan's yurt he may take it badly"
They only presence of a xenophobic faction was the Camonna Tong which only existed in Balmora even though in lore they are suppose to be everywhere in Morrowind and had infiltrated House Hlaalu.Your only interaction with them in the game is a quest from an imperial guard champion to make them "go away". Other than that its just a pub full of pissed off people.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »

I think Morrowind had different starting relations for the different races. Something like members of the same race had higher relation so if you were a Dunmer people were generally around 50 relation as opposed to 40 but eh... that's not much of a difference.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2014, 10:52:38 pm »

I remember the relations difference being 10, which rarely made much of a difference to anything.

I would have liked it if your choice of race had more of an effect on how people responded to you more often, even if it were just mostly flavour text. For me, it would have made my race choice seem more like a choice of character than a choice of stats.

It's a fun game though, I really liked the enviroments. They could seem quite foreign and interesting at times.

Those animations though...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 29, 2014, 06:54:13 am »

You know, I'm looking through the differences table[/url between the three games, and I can't help but notice that in almost all regards there's just being less and less customization/diversity over time. There is *some* progression (like the physics and kinda sorta combat) but that seems to be at the sacrifice of a downward spiral in almost everything else.

I know I'm not reaaalllly supposed to mention the other two games in this, but it's a pretty poignant example of why I prefer Morrowind (as a vanilla game).

Maybe I'm just missing something though.

Oh, have I ever mentioned how you can take almost anyone out with your fists in Morrowind once you're high-levelled enough? (Like, every stat 90+ excluding luck.)
Also, I kinda cheated my stats using the console, but kinda not. Essentially what I did was maximise the stat gains every level up (you know how you get those modifiers? I just changed the stats after I levelled up so 'they' increased it by five).
It was a pain having to set all the skills you wanted to use as minor ones to avoid levelling up too soon, and the min-maxing was a pain so I though 'screw it, every time I level up I'll take the things with the highest modifiers and make up the difference via console commands' and it made the game so much more enjoyable. The character also progressed pretty naturally, since I could actually take my major skills as my major skills without having to worry about training up the minor ones enough to give me x5 modifiers in three stats.
At least the enemies didn't scale like Oblivion so if you *didn't* min-max you wouldn't actually be getting weaker compared to the world around you.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 29, 2014, 07:42:53 am »

Morrowind is best elder scrolls, although to be fair I only played skyrim and morrowind. But whenever I see the faces of people in Oblivion I am convinced about not playing this game.

I hear Daggerfall is interesting, although playing a RPG in first-person style is disturbing to me.  2d topdown view is fine, isometric 2d is good, 3d is best, but first-person ? no.

I tried one of the Might and Magic games and abandoned it quickly because of this.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2014, 12:13:28 pm »

interesting... so you played all of morrowind & skyrim with the 3rd person camera??

in morrowind's case at least that means watching even more crummy animations :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:15:43 pm by TripJack »

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 29, 2014, 03:59:46 pm »

Never could force myself to play it for more than a few hours. Oblivion goes much better. But yes, Morrowind is better than Oblivion(only not for me) and especially than Skyrim.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:02:37 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2014, 07:14:32 pm »

I find Daggerfall fun. The main draw is the character creator that has a whole bunch of advantages and disadvantages to make rather specific class types.

The dungeons are, of course, the biggest issue in Daggerfall. Those things are mazes of the worst kind (and the main quest dungeons are even worse being bigger) but it is possible to get used to them and recognise the modules of room layouts to make things easier.
Since Daggerfall plays on a larger scale there is some interesting mechanics at work. Towns and villages have special holidays that provide free services at temples or inns and the like, there's multiple levels of shop quality that give you either better or worse gear, you can buy a house and a boat with the loan or letters of credit system at the banks.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2014, 07:32:08 pm »

I find Daggerfall fun. The main draw is the character creator that has a whole bunch of advantages and disadvantages to make rather specific class types.

The dungeons are, of course, the biggest issue in Daggerfall. Those things are mazes of the worst kind (and the main quest dungeons are even worse being bigger) but it is possible to get used to them and recognise the modules of room layouts to make things easier.
Since Daggerfall plays on a larger scale there is some interesting mechanics at work. Towns and villages have special holidays that provide free services at temples or inns and the like, there's multiple levels of shop quality that give you either better or worse gear, you can buy a house and a boat with the loan or letters of credit system at the banks.

I never did play Daggerfall actually. Is it worth playing if I like Morrowind/Skyrim and sorta Oblivion? I know very different obviously cause its older. The dungeons look epic though, none of the linear point a to b call of duty style stuff of Skyrim.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:29 pm »

Arguably. It really is considerably clunkier than even morrowind, so you'll be fighting UI and whatnot if you go back to it. It's alright if you can get past stuff like that, but it's definitely something that's even more of an acquired taste than the more recent elder scrolls game. Fairly rewarding once you get to that point, but...

... that said, this is still the morrowind thread, and we really should be keeping discussion centered on that. Elder scrolls threads have an incredibly nasty tendency to implode when people start getting into pissing matches over the different games. Which they do, close to inevitably.

So... yeah. If y'all want a inter-elder scrolls discussion thread, maybe make it? Safer that way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:25 pm »

I don't really see it devolving (at the moment at least). We all seem to think Morrowind is the best one and thus are all in harmony.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 29, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »

i like oblivion better in every way but lore, loot and meta-questing (I.E how quests are doled out and how the player is expected to progress through them, as opposed to the content of the quests themselves)

and the meta-questing only got better than Oblivion with Tribunal, though really you probably won't find a copy of the game without tribunal but w/e
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25