Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52784 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2014, 08:58:44 am »

Obvlivion?
Oblivion is... Meh.
Oblivion has nehrim, and nehrim is pretty awesome.

... that said, this is the morrowind thread, and the OP notes kindly to avoid, y'know, arguments and such. So we should probably nix discussion of those other ones. Down that path lies yet another locked elder scrolls thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »

Fine fine, but just to close off.

Morrowind: Good
Oblivion: Crap/Boring
Skyrim: Meh (good or better with Mods)

Anyway, talking about Morrowind specifically, did anyone else ever try abusing alchemy to make Fortify Speed potions that crashed the game?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »

Eh, with morrowind if I felt like abuse I just whipped out the soultrap glitch. Usually did that with a few utility spells anyway, honestly...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »

First encountered this game on Xbox, it was a horrible buggy mess on console but I loved it to death. There was an amazing exploit with constant effect enchanted weapons where if you held X+L+R it would rapidly, permanently stack said enchantment.

Anymore, I have it on PC, the discs being one of my treasures. However, I just can't look at the original graphics anymore, and the overhauls to run it make my laptop cry.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 24, 2014, 07:34:48 pm »

First encountered this game on Xbox, it was a horrible buggy mess on console but I loved it to death. There was an amazing exploit with constant effect enchanted weapons where if you held X+L+R it would rapidly, permanently stack said enchantment.

Anymore, I have it on PC, the discs being one of my treasures. However, I just can't look at the original graphics anymore, and the overhauls to run it make my laptop cry.

There are ways to upgrade it without the full overhaul.  Try just doing Better Bodies + Better Heads + Better Clothes + area texture replacers. That ran reasonably well on my old XP computer and looked much, much better.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 24, 2014, 07:36:06 pm »

It's the FOW that bothers me most, though.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 24, 2014, 08:10:33 pm »

-snip-
*checks sig to make sure link is still there*

Hey guys I just want to talk to you about the OpenMW project since it was mentioned and this thread is alive again. I build OpenMW as a hobby for myself but can attest to the new engine. Currently at this point you can play the game and finish it, theres still bugs and some events missing but you can run around and blow up the mountain.

OpenMW started as a small project as to port the game over to OGRE and other open source libraries. It even got its blessing from the original devs! Its main function is to utilize the original file assets maintaining complete compatibility with files including mods. That means you don't have to convert any files to some format or unpack the BSA files, just point the launcher to your morrowind folder and you're good to go. With this engine many features are now exposed for modding. We have complete control with all of the modeling and shaders without needing to use hacks or DLL tricks. Physics is easily manipulative with animations. Also included is the complete stability. I don't I have ever managed to complete half of the game without crashing 20 times, its literally black and white compared to the original engine. The engine has the potential to update Morrowind into a modern state with all of the graphical effects you expect.
Best part about this, not only are they building a new engine, they are building a new modding tool also! OpenCS is a sidealong project that just like Construction Set, you can build and modify the game with access to the ID tables and even has 3D rendering to boot. With this not only you can continue working with the old mods you can also access the new features too.

Skywind may be a nice conversion but if you really want something unleashed, you gotta get your hands on OpenMW. You got builds for Windows, OSX, and Linux so the game can be played by any machine. At this point they are still working out on the AI and bugs but its so close you can taste it.

Heres a Video release from last month for some insight on the progress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfq2j8bgQnM

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 24, 2014, 08:15:51 pm »

FOW?

I remember playing this. I could have were it not for the fact that the fog was abysmal. Constantly. As in it NEVER went away. I could see five meters ahead of me at the best of times.

I think I'll give skywind a stab instead.
FOW = Fog Of War

OpenMW is alright and does many things I want from the MW overhaul without so much of a CPU hit, but it's pretty incomplete atm.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 24, 2014, 09:35:07 pm »

FoW is usually applied to strategy games. Games like this have regular old fog.
FoW was an old technique to render less objects. Morrowind eats CPU back in the old day so by default the Fog was close.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2014, 10:51:36 pm »

Draw distance. Fog hides it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2014, 06:09:50 am »

Back before I lost my save I used a mod that expanded the view/pushed the fog back. I warn you that expanding it too far made the world lose a sense of scale.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:VULPINE]
    • View Profile
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2014, 08:53:26 am »

Heh, heh, I have the GOTY edition for the original XBox, I never really managed to get far on it. I always use the Fortify Attributes/Soultrap cheat spell, then soon get the Fortify Skill and do the same to sneak around Morrowind as a Khajiit assassin. Shanky-Shank-Shank.
I WILL BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

FOW?

I remember playing this. I could have were it not for the fact that the fog was abysmal. Constantly. As in it NEVER went away. I could see five meters ahead of me at the best of times.

I think I'll give skywind a stab instead.
FOW = Fog Of War

OpenMW is alright and does many things I want from the MW overhaul without so much of a CPU hit, but it's pretty incomplete atm.

or in the wargaming community FOW, is flames of war. #knowingishalfthebattle...gijoe!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2014, 12:17:12 am »

This game is my all-time favorite. My cousin bought it when it first came out and I learned the game by watching him. I kind of hated it at first, but I started to like it after playing it. We played without any mods and we didn't know how to exploit enchanting and alchemy system. We ran around in circles trying to do quests and end up getting involved in some other quest or dungeon. I kinda liked it. You actually had to pay attention to road signs and ask for directions to strangers.

There was a pair of magical boots called "boots of blinding speed" which increased your speed but almost completely blinded you. There was a guy who fell from the sky in the wilderness near Seyda Neen (I think it was a levitate spell experiment gone bad) and he had a good magic longsword for starters, and it was the sole reason why I always took long blades as one of my major skills. I always held onto that sword for a long time. I remember walking and hearing this scream from the sky, and when I looked up, I was so startled to see that guy.

I always took Sneaking, Alchemy, Light Armor and Long Blade for my majors no matter how many times I started anew.

I did lots of hardcore roleplaying with and without mods. I remember jumping from rooftop to rooftop in Balmora like a parkour freerunner and robbing top levels of houses clean without being seen to the residents. I remember crafting woodcrafts to sell, spend my money at the racist Dunmers' cornerclub, and try to collect enough money to buy a house and furniture. I made the economy really difficult and I never looted armor and weapons out of corpses so it was very challenging. Before I learned about the house mod, I killed the resident of a shack in Seyda Neen to claim it.

I have the route from Seyda Neen to Balmora and Caldera completely memorized with all the walking and dungeoneering I did around these routes. Drop me in any place around the Southern coast and disable the map, I'll find my way. I don't like the Northern parts of Vvardenfell though.

As for the expansion packs, Bloodmoon was really awesome. It was fun to build a frontier settlement and getting to decide what to build and where to build. And being a werewolf was much more interesting than in Skyrim. It's not like in Skyrim where you turn voluntarily. Every night, you'll transform and have to kill a humanoid. If you don't kill, you start to become weaker. It's easy to manage in Solstheim with the amount of respawning bandits but it's difficult in Vvardenfell. I had to do old-school city raids and kill guards (only source of respawning meals I knew) for that.

I kinda hated Tribunal though. The whole time you are in a damn city that's the size of four average Skyrim cities combined.

Man, good times. I last played it a year ago, I think. I was in the middle of the Tribunal main quest. Never managed to finish it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:19:03 am by Leatra »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2014, 04:15:54 am »

There was a pair of magical boots called "boots of blinding speed" which increased your speed but almost completely blinded you. There was a guy who fell from the sky in the wilderness near Seyda Neen (I think it was a levitate spell experiment gone bad) and he had a good magic longsword for starters, and it was the sole reason why I always took long blades as one of my major skills. I always held onto that sword for a long time. I remember walking and hearing this scream from the sky, and when I looked up, I was so startled to see that guy.

Wasn't a levitation experiment, it was a jumping one. On his corpse are three Scrolls of Icarian Flight that fortify your Acrobatics by 1000 points for 7 seconds.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25