Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52706 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2014, 01:32:11 am »

Did you make pillow forts? Because I think you made pillow forts.  :P

I always had the compulsion to place armour in a humanoid shape on the floor when I was collecting a set.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:38 am »

Did you make pillow forts? Because I think you made pillow forts.  :P

I always had the compulsion to place armour in a humanoid shape on the floor when I was collecting a set.
Of course i did. I think i was obligated by law to make pillow forts since i grabbed the pillows of every building i entered.

I also did the armour thing. Since, after all, it looks far more awesome laid out like that.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:47 am »

I fully admit to getting the mannequin mod and making stoic armored house guards once I took over a vampire den in some dwemer ruins. Their chattle never despawned, so I even had party guests!

That place had some damn sad parties...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2014, 02:51:00 am »

Here's something that's bugging me: every time I get hit in combat, no matter how minor the damage, my (female) character lets out an intense piercing scream. It sounds like she's dying every time, and I reflexively give up fighting for a second or two before I realize I'm still alive.

I have never let out a scream like that in my life, and for good reason: those types of screams take an incredible amount of energy to produce. If you want to let out a scream like that, you have to focus all your willpower on it - you certainly don't do it in the middle of a fight if you intend to keep fighting. I don't even think it's possible to scream like that without closing your eyes.

The reason women so often let out those types of screams in the real world is because they're using all their energy to cry for HELP. They've already dismissed the idea of fighting for themselves, either because they are too afraid, too weak/injured, or because they're conditioned to expect a man (or possibly a mother) to swoop in and save them the instant they call for them.

So, the developers of Morrowind really didn't seem to think very highly of women. There is almost no advantage to being a woman (though there are several disadvantages), and they apparently think every woman lets out a piercing screech at the slightest discomfort. Thanks a lot, developers. It irritates me so much that it actually takes a lot away from what would otherwise clearly be an amazing game. I'm getting awfully frustrated, hearing that in every fight.

So... Is there a mod to make women less simpering and pathetic? Or should I start again with a male character and just pretend I'm secretly transgendered, as I end up having to do in almost every game I play?

Also, a more specific question: when I go to enchanters and click the "enchant" button, I get a very complicated-looking window with every field blank. There are no options to select. Are there some prerequisites to buying enchantment?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2014, 03:10:16 am »

You have to know a spell/have a charged soul gem, or something. Been a while.

I also never noticed the female scream sound. Maybe I had a mod that changed it installed before I even played it once. Or it just never bugged me. I guarantee there's a mod for it though. A sound overhaul or unofficial patch or something. It would probably be piss easy to change manually if you wanted to as well.

Ah this takes me back to my Dark Elf vampiress, trucking around in her full suit of deadric and with dai-katana in hand, fully enchanted and with custom names, mostly to do with the times of the day. Although I did name one piece after Almalexia. Her soul did go into it after all. It was only polite.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2014, 03:11:02 am »

The stat totals are the same for both sexes, but the women tend to have more in their mental stats and personality, while the men have more in physical stats.  It can sort of pigeon hole your character unless you manipulate the stat gain system.  Some races have less annoying voices than others.  Bretons and Bosmer are really shrill sounding.  I think there is a custom pc voice mod, if you find that you can't stand any of them.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2014, 03:45:54 am »

What I mean by advantages and disadvantages is what people were talking about before story- and quest-wise. Male characters get flirted with, etc., to advance storylines, whereas that (surprisingly) almost never happens with female ones.

My character is an axe-wielding Nord, and it is really irritating to hear that shriek over and over again. It's like "I AM HERE TO TAKE YOUR HEAD-- eeeeeeek, a papercut!" I don't want to change *all* the sounds, just that one... I suppose I'll have to do a little work, find out where the sound file is located, find a better one to replace it with...

EDIT: Okay, I think I found the folder and replaced all the overly-screechy "hit" sounds. I listened to a few of the other voice files as well and they all sound pretty awful. I might have to just record my own voice and replace them all from scratch!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:53:59 am by Sappho »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2014, 03:53:33 am »

The only thing I could find that specifically addresses injury screams is this, but I've never used it so I couldn't say how well it works. The download page notes that the mod is dirty, so you'd want to run the .esp through escog first, which is simple to use (point it to Morrowind.ini, select the .esp, press clean, done).

The sound file is almost certainly somewhere within Morrowind.bsa, so you'd need a .bsa (un)packer to do anything useful with it. BSAPACK on this page is the only one I could find that both packs and unpacks, but again, I've never used it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2014, 03:55:47 am »

I found a folder full of MP3 files for each of the voice clips and just renamed/replaced the files I didn't like. I don't have time to try it before work - I'll have to give it a shot in the evening and see if it actually worked, or if I need to do something else.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2014, 04:05:17 am »

Sappho: Apparently a lot of the sounds are attached to the wrong things in the game scripting.

the Unofficial Morrowind patch attempts to fix those, along with other non-game-changing bugs. Quest fixes, typos and the like.

Check it out here: http://www.paulcarr.com.au/elderscrolls/patch/

I think I used to use an earlier version of this when I played morrowind years ago. But that's as far as I can vouch for it, no idea if it'll fix your problem or make an improvement or whatever, it does specifically say it changes "Female Nord Hit sound 'Scream' to 'Grunt'" And the scream seems to be used elsewhere. (In place of the 'gasp', whatever that's currently used for.)

Apparently all the races have these sorts of bugs, but the Female Nords are particularly messed up.

Good luck.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2014, 04:05:17 am »

I forgot about that part.  I think that I still haven't done that yet.  That's probably why I can't remember it. x3
I think there were plans for a similar thing for women characters, and they cut it. :<

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2014, 04:13:55 am »

I found a folder full of MP3 files for each of the voice clips and just renamed/replaced the files I didn't like. I don't have time to try it before work - I'll have to give it a shot in the evening and see if it actually worked, or if I need to do something else.
That should work fine, actually.

I listened to a few of the other voice files as well and they all sound pretty awful. I might have to just record my own voice and replace them all from scratch!
Yep.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2014, 04:18:40 am »

I think I already have that unofficial patch installed as part of the mod thingie Sensei posted at the start of the thread? And it definitely didn't fix it.

EDIT: Also, that mod sounds awesome. If I can just find the time to figure out what sound is used for what, and re-record all of them properly...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:21:11 am by Sappho »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2014, 04:42:01 am »

sluissa: That version of the patch you linked to is outdated (1.6.3b). The MOSG includes version 1.6.5b.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:59 am »

Here's something that's bugging me: every time I get hit in combat, no matter how minor the damage, my (female) character lets out an intense piercing scream. It sounds like she's dying every time, and I reflexively give up fighting for a second or two before I realize I'm still alive.

I have never let out a scream like that in my life, and for good reason: those types of screams take an incredible amount of energy to produce. If you want to let out a scream like that, you have to focus all your willpower on it - you certainly don't do it in the middle of a fight if you intend to keep fighting. I don't even think it's possible to scream like that without closing your eyes.
That's why you can't perform any good magic! You're focusing all your Willpower on sonic attacks!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25