Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52712 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2014, 03:42:44 pm »

Only male characters get flirted with? No love for the ladies?
It could be worse. You could be argonian or khajiit.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2014, 03:47:30 pm »

Aw yeah, postin' in a Morrowind thread.  Good God did I love this game.  I can honestly say that between playing the game and modding the game, I've probably sunk more hours into Morrowind than any other game I've owned.  I haven't played it in years because I look back on it the way a recovering heroin addict would.

Still remember one of my great in-game accomplishments of mastering Enchanting.  Daedric dai-katana with Absorb Life and an amulet with Constant Effect Levitation.  So bad ass.

I've been through Balmora many times already, it just didn't occur to me that joining the Thieves' Guild might be useful until just now. I've completed quite a few quests already, actually, yet I'm still only level 1. I haven't had any major troubles yet, though, so I'm not going to worry about leveling for now. I'm sure it'll happen on its own eventually, as long as I keep using my axe to kill people and aggressive wild critters.

Honestly, aside from the record-clearing thing, the Thieves Guild is not useful.  It also exposes one of the few major shortcomings of Morrowind, necessary but major.  Because every single area and quest in Morrowind had to be hand crafted, most of the many guild quest lines are fairly short and easily completed aside from the occasional wicked hard combat.  Because the Thieves Guild quests involve no combat (that I can remember) and sneaking can be accomplished as easily as just staying out of ray-tracing range, you can easily become Master of the Thieves Guild in about a week, at level 1.  And then... you have nothing else to do with the Thieves Guild.

Becoming leader of the Great Houses has the same issue, you just find yourself wishing there was more to do after all that work.  I'm sure there's mods for that though.  Goodness are there mods.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2014, 03:51:21 pm »

Magistrate's mods add to Mage and Thief Guild's, I think.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »

PTW

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 05:24:45 pm »

Still remember one of my great in-game accomplishments of mastering Enchanting.  Daedric dai-katana with Absorb Life and an amulet with Constant Effect Levitation.  So bad ass.

Basically this. Enchanting + Constants + spellcraft. Flying belt? Yep. Flying belt on an archer? Yep. Jumping is SO old-fashioned.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2014, 05:46:41 pm »

That's one thing that really disappointed me about later Elder Scrolls games. Making your own items in Morrowind was just fun, balanced be damned. Same story with making your own spells. By Skyrim enchanting and spell crafting is so tepid, developer-made items are spells are just flat out better than anything you can make for the most part.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2014, 06:00:01 pm »

That's one thing that really disappointed me about later Elder Scrolls games. Making your own items in Morrowind was just fun, balanced be damned. Same story with making your own spells. By Skyrim enchanting and spell crafting is so tepid, developer-made items are spells are just flat out better than anything you can make for the most part.
Same thing for the prices, really. In Morrowind, magic items are so valuable that you actually can't find people to buy them at cost.

Best thing about Morrowind in comparison, though, was the fact that you could kill anybody. If you wanted to, you could wipe out all elven life.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2014, 06:47:38 pm »

Same thing for the prices, really. In Morrowind, magic items are so valuable that you actually can't find people to buy them at cost.

Best thing about Morrowind in comparison, though, was the fact that you could kill anybody. If you wanted to, you could wipe out all elven life.

The degree of customization this allowed was nuts: I had an atronarch character whose clothing was enchanted to do anything to expensive to simply cast. The left glove caused levitate, the right caused water breathing, the rings killed and healed, the boots were the boots of blinding speed. 

Granted I also exploited the "religious" atronarch exploit, by praying all the damn time and never running low on mana as an outcome. 

Honestly, aside from the record-clearing thing, the Thieves Guild is not useful.  It also exposes one of the few major shortcomings of Morrowind, necessary but major.  Because every single area and quest in Morrowind had to be hand crafted, most of the many guild quest lines are fairly short and easily completed aside from the occasional wicked hard combat.  Because the Thieves Guild quests involve no combat (that I can remember) and sneaking can be accomplished as easily as just staying out of ray-tracing range, you can easily become Master of the Thieves Guild in about a week, at level 1.  And then... you have nothing else to do with the Thieves Guild.

Becoming leader of the Great Houses has the same issue, you just find yourself wishing there was more to do after all that work.  I'm sure there's mods for that though.  Goodness are there mods.

I'm not sure you remember the thieves' guild that well: a lot of the quests are very hard early on (especially the second quest you get in Balmora: pickpocketing is not easy in Morrowind, lotsa reload try agains). Lockpicking is skill based, but you do meet the Security master early, so it isn't hard to maximize. Also the last two quests are to kill some of the more dangerous opponents in the game: the top two enforcers in the Camonna Tong and the Master of the Fighters Guild.

Thieves' guild is not the quickest way to get rich, but it is important in providing fences and bounty reduction. It is also one of the "good guy" factions in a largely morally ambivalent game. Compared to Hlaalu and fighter's guild, the thieves' guild are saints.

And yeah the mod I posted early in the thread: Antares big mod, makes it a lot more fun. You can choose "target" as an option in conversation marking anyone for robbery and send thieves to procure their items for you. I've only used it with a character who wouldn't personally steal (to keep an air of propriety, Redoran etc), and with my master thief, who ordered underlings to do it in exchange for promotions (I think I got a second land deed that way to start building two strongholds)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:57:40 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »

Well you could always track down Creeper or Mudcrab to sell your more valuable loot, although that still wasn't enough for the truly valuable items.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:34 pm »

Well you could always track down Creeper or Mudcrab to sell your more valuable loot, although that still wasn't enough for the truly valuable items.
Yeah. I remember the first time I ran into this was when I wanted to sell off that magic ring of camouflage or somesuch that the imperial guy gives you if you kill off the guy in the Balmora corner club for him.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:50 am »

Never did find the mudcrab.  I moved expensive things through the enchanting process.

You have to shell out a large fortune for the high level enchantments, so once the guy is holding your gold you can get it all back again by off loading your most expensive stuff.

Or, you could just put the expensive garbage on display in your house.  I never got into that much, but it seems like most of the people writing about the game online spent most of their time on interior decoration.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:20 am »

Or, you could just put the expensive garbage on display in your house.  I never got into that much, but it seems like most of the people writing about the game online spent most of their time on interior decoration.

Well, you do get some fancy houses, and I collected every notable thing in the game (i.e. gems, scrolls, weird static items, and every weapon with a good material or too expensive to sell at price).  I didn't really do any interior decorating, but I did have a floor in my Telvanni stronghold dedicated to holding all my special crap.  I dunno, it just felt right.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2014, 01:20:32 am »

Yeah... yeah. Sometimes you just want to steal every lantern, torch, and candle from three different towns and drape a building in light.

... I did that a few times, actually. Habitually stealing light sources is something I have to actively prevent myself from doing in Elder Scrolls games. There's just... something about being THE THIEF OF LIGHT,* heeheehee.

*... no relation to Homestuck. I was stripping balmora of illumination and cackling about being the thief of light before I ever encountered that particular work.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2014, 01:21:07 am »

Well, you do get some fancy houses, and I collected every notable thing in the game (i.e. gems, scrolls, weird static items, and every weapon with a good material or too expensive to sell at price).  I didn't really do any interior decorating, but I did have a floor in my Telvanni stronghold dedicated to holding all my special crap.  I dunno, it just felt right.

Decorating Uvirith's grave was why I got my second mod: Book rotation, letting you place books every which way (my first mod was to get rid of the annoying magic glow).

Gathering books in Morrowind was amazing. Maybe it is just because I am a book-obsessed academic irl, but Morrowind got something right, that Oblivion and Skyrim didn't quite.

There were the skill books: collectible because precious. All that Oblivion and Skyrim kept as a legacy.

There were the Canticles of Vivec: nonsensical gibberish (+skill) for some, metatextual commentary on the structure of gaming piercing the fourth wall for others. I held the latter interpretation loving the tongue-in-cheek use of postmodernistic play as religious dogma (by Vivec, god of poets, liars and other tricksters).

Finally, there were the books on the Dwemer.
Some popular, some utterly unique.
The best of all, the Rosetta stone, central to the archmage quest, perhaps the best written quest (again to someone deeply traumatized by academia) in the game, where you solve an ageless mystery and displace the archmage, not by killing a monster, or finding a treasure, but by interviewing scholars, reading, comparing data and making a scholastic argument :D

Sure you could just kill the archmage, but beating him in academicism: priceless.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:23:09 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2014, 01:27:27 am »

I always collect something in the Elder Scrolls games. I'm a pack rat so i grab everything i can but in Morrowind i especially loved pillows. ALL of the pillows. Seriously. Not nearly as cool or useful as books. But still they were important to me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:30:22 am by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25