Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52746 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #270 on: December 29, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »

I had fun with Oblivion and logged hundreds of hours into it. But I don't think I'd play it again, since Skyrim and Morrowind contain (between them) all the things I liked about it but done better.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 29, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »

A (something disharmonious) approaches.

Tribunal was self contained, though. I'm pretty sure it didn't affect the base game world aside from the DB attacks and minor changes to Ebonheart. (As well as a dialogue choice or two about the DB)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:23:14 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 29, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

It allowed the journal to organize by quest.

Or maybe that was Bloodmoon. Either way, vanilla had an awful journal.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 29, 2014, 09:24:53 pm »

Yeah, the original journal was pretty terrible from a meta perspective, but from an in-universe one that's how a journal would actually be arranged. So it's better as a sort of... Realism thing. Still terrible though, but it was an advantage if you wanted your character's journal keeping to be like how a real person would do so.

What did you think about Oblivion's level-scaling in comparison to Morrowind's fixed state?

I think if you look at this and scroll down to the 'Skills' section it's a pretty good representation of the mindset that seemed to go into developing each of the different games.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:29:11 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:56 pm »

I called that loot system for some reason.

It was fucking awful and mods are a godsend.

For vanilla experience, Oblivion is easily the worst of the latter three, but its modded experience is top notch. The gameplay is marred greatly by some systems, but those systems are moddable. Skyrim has problems in much more insidious ways that are far more difficult to fix. Morrowind is the best vanilla-wise, I'd say.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:32:50 pm by Putnam »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:02 pm »

I think if you look at this and scroll down to the 'Skills' section it's a pretty good representation of the mindset that seemed to go into developing each of the different games.

I'll have to say that's probably the main thing that put me off Oblivion (at least, not including people randomly having their voice actors switched. Seriously, I'd swear for all the non-important (and even some important) NPCs they just hired three people to do random lines and then mixed-and-matched. Also the faces, my GOD the FACES) was the loot and level-scaling. It was sort of ridiculous seeing bandits in full glass/daedric armor. Oh, glass armor was hideous in Oblivion though that one is purely subjective. I liked the more sharp, angular look MW had going.

Remember Caius Cossades? Screw him.

Also, Morrowind had Dai-Katanas. WHERE ARE MY DAI-KATANAS, OBLIVION AND SKYRIM!?
Actually, now that I think about that, I have to find a mod to add them in.
The Daedric Dai-Katana was a thing of beauty and glory.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:34:54 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2014, 09:41:43 pm »

Skyrim did that best. Leveling up brings new enemies but the weak ones are always there, though everywhere was still the same no matter what level you were.

I liked being able to mop up weaker areas or sneak around hire level areas and get goodies before I was probably supposed to a lot.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2014, 09:44:59 pm »

"Better Weapons mod", or something like that, has daedric dai-katanas of the Morrowind style in it for Skyrim.

I think with the levelling system Oblivion used it to handle too many elements. Skyrim handles that better with things like bandits having upper limits on their armour and weapon lists, as well as some items always being found in the same locations.

I think the remaining element that I really don't like when it comes to levelled things is levelled quest rewards. Either an item or an amount of gold is determined by your characters level. I feel like this is trying to control the players game too much in regards to not getting powerful items early on. Part of the fun in Morrowind for me was knowing where powerful items were to gain an early boost in strength.
The biggest issue with these levelled items occurs when you go through a large dungeon, fight a boss and get a sword that, because you did this rather difficult dungeon at level 3, only has 13 damage plus 3 unblockable damage.

Edit: More on topic with Morrowind. The few mods I remember running way back when were "McAsmod's Werewolves", "Vampire Embrace", a series of mods called "Less Generic NPCs" that gave the non-quest NPCs unique dialogue, there was also a lich mod but I can't remember the name. Also "Better Heads" and "Better Bodies" to change the segmented limbs and add some new faces.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:57:03 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »

Does anyone remember if you have to progress further in the main quest before Almalexia does all that stuff with you as the Neravarine in Tribunal. (Spoiler alert. Of course, not really, since it's a 17 year old game. Give or take.)
I mean, I always killed Ra'Virr because he had those nice swords on him, and his house made a good early base.

I think a small amount of scaling for enemies is fine, but for quest rewards and while with end of dungeon stuff it's iffy (they really should have just given the dungeon a level range) it's a no-go.
The biggest issue I had with the quest rewards scaling is that it basically encouraged you to not do any quests until you were level X because otherwise the rewards would suck, not because the quest was actually too challenging.

Oh, and the guild system for everything but the DB and maaaybe the Mage's SUCKED in Skyrim. It was so much better when you felt like your guild was... A guild. It actually had presence in the world, with a building in almost every city.
The companions inundate you into their 'special inner circle' waaaaaay too quickly as well. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:56:05 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2014, 09:56:44 pm »

Tribunal really makes no sense unless you enable it after the MQ.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2014, 09:57:18 pm »

It was nice to get a full set of good light armor early on though.
The circle is complete.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »

Does anyone remember if you have to progress further in the main quest before Almalexia does all that stuff with you as the Neravarine in Tribunal. (Spoiler alert. Of course, not really, since it's a 17 year old game. Give or take.)
I mean, I always killed Ra'Virr because he had those nice swords on him, and his house made a good early base.

I think you had to be named the Nerevarine to proceed in the quest. I really can't remember but since it involves Almalexia and those swords Hopesfire and Trueflame I would guess it would require some progress. The Dark Brotherhood assassins attack you straight out however, being sent after you by Helseth and that doesn't make much sense.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 29, 2014, 10:04:18 pm »

Helseth's amulet is f*cking OP. Even come lategame I had a little bit of trouble fighting him until I decided to start throwing those INSANE darts at him. The ones dropped by the dwemer bots that come into play later on in Tribunal.
Seriously, those things were ridiculous. 50-70 (plus enchantment bonus) on a high accuracy fast firing ranged attack? What the HELL!?
For reference, a daedric dart from the base game was... 2-12.

*edit*
They weren't as ridiculous as I remember, but they were still 20-50.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:08:13 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2014, 10:16:04 pm »

I think you had to be named the Nerevarine to proceed in the quest. I really can't remember but since it involves Almalexia and those swords Hopesfire and Trueflame I would guess it would require some progress. The Dark Brotherhood assassins attack you straight out however, being sent after you by Helseth and that doesn't make much sense.
Na, once the Dark Brotherhood attacks you start the Tribunal questline, just like when the guards mentions about Solsheim starts Bloodmoon. Tribunal will be alot harder as the expansion isn't leveled but you can still go around and do Bloodmoon as the hard stuff like Spriggans and Wereswolves don't spawn in until lvl 16+

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2014, 10:30:26 pm »

Na, once the Dark Brotherhood attacks you start the Tribunal questline, just like when the guards mentions about Solsheim starts Bloodmoon. Tribunal will be alot harder as the expansion isn't leveled but you can still go around and do Bloodmoon as the hard stuff like Spriggans and Wereswolves don't spawn in until lvl 16+

There are werewolves guaranteed in the main quest line... Though I gather you're probably talking about the random level 90+ ones that wander around.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25