Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Release anticipation hype thread  (Read 6522 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Release anticipation hype thread
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2014, 02:26:06 pm »

DF 2012 release was very playable at launch. DF 2010 had some problem with pathfinding and the military, so it took a couple weeks before becoming really playable.

Playable doesn't mean it doesn't have bugs, though. A proper DF player must know how to work around bugs, after all.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:50 pm »

DF 2012 release was very playable at launch. DF 2010 had some problem with pathfinding and the military, so it took a couple weeks before becoming really playable.

Playable doesn't mean it doesn't have bugs, though. A proper DF player must know how to work around bugs, after all.

Well, it (2012) had that game breaking save corruption bug in it for the first few days after the release. Not sure I'd call that very playable, apart from really really short fortresses.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:09 pm »

Well, if there are any major problems, they're likely to show up and get fixed in the first week or two after release.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »

DF2012 got several patches released for over a month, and at least twice the savegames were lost between patches.

This is what I mean. The whole point of DF2014 is creating a world to play all your fortress and stick to it. If Toady is going to release 7 patches where you will lose your savegames in the 4th and 7th patch because of several issues, I'd rather wait until the version is stable to go into fort mode.

Thus, I've got -at least- a couple of months (probably 3 or 4; I'm afraid) ahead of me before I can make my perma-world; so I'm playing DF2012 again now. I'll have time to build urge after I burn the fucking game for a week or two now :P
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »

The only patch with non-compatible saves was 0.34.02 (because of a save-corrupting bug in 0.34.01) and as far as I know is it the only bug-fix patch to break save compatibility in the history of DF. Toady is very careful to keep the saves compatible in minor releases.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2014, 03:22:02 pm »

The new arena features ALONE make for tons of science potential because we now have a laboratory with carefully controlled and configurable climate, complete with weather, seasons (I think), and time of day.

Seasons are just temperature and tree/grass colors AFAIK.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »

The new arena features ALONE make for tons of science potential because we now have a laboratory with carefully controlled and configurable climate, complete with weather, seasons (I think), and time of day.

Seasons are just temperature and tree/grass colors AFAIK.
Well for vanilla arena mode, maybe, but what if someone has a reaction influenced by the seasons, like some variation of the werebeast curse that only triggers during the spring?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2014, 06:11:11 pm »

You mean interaction?

That's not possible. Interactions can only be triggered by these things.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:31 am »

The ability to retire fortresses will be awesome! I can just imagine all the succession games the community will have were they start from the beginning and build up a dwarven empire. :P
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:09 am »

In the past month, anticipation had me replace my F5 key 3 times, cause it wore out.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://zorrilla.me
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 11:51:47 am »

Hi guys. Where are you getting the confirmed features to be present in the next release? The dev blog has nothing marked as "next release".

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »

Yeah, the development page isn't updated very often.
We find new features by following the dev log, listening to DF Talk and stalking Bay12Games on Twitter. Toady also answers questions monthly in the Future of the Fortress thread.

If you want a general overview of confirmed features so far, there's a fan-made (incomplete) list for that.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »

I don't know about you guys being afraid about bed bugs, but when the second that update comes out the womb of toady's computer I'm going to be missing in the units list!

Man I can't wait to play my fortbent fortress.(Putnams mod) I'll send my trolls to raze all the un-derlings dark fortresses and send ambushes to steal various riches from the Prospitians'! Also, thank you Putnam for Fortbent.

Irist GuruNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:36 am »

I led one party member into a room where rested a dead relative, and they fell to the ground crying... which is depressing.

So you could throw a head into a room to freak people out, which is cool, but you can also throw a single tooth, and it would work too, if the person is dead.

It's disturbing that this made me laugh and more eager to play :P I soooo badly want DF 2014!  (those were quotes from Toady's 17th blog post on the front page).

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:07 am »

Seasons are not just temperature and tree colors. I want people to be grumpy and sleepy in winter, and friendly and welcoming in summer.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6