Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Release anticipation hype thread  (Read 6515 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Release anticipation hype thread
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 06:13:27 pm »

Not to mention with a big announcement in the news section right above your utility bar (HOME HELP SEARCH etc.).

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 06:25:17 pm »

*5 days no update*

"So, I just came back from visiting my aunt in Canada. I'll be fixing stuff from the list, which has exploded in size in respect of what I predicted. Don't worry though, it's only 76 more months till the next update!"
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 07:13:00 pm »

*5 days no update*

"So, I just came back from visiting my aunt in Canada. I'll be fixing stuff from the list, which has exploded in size in respect of what I predicted. Don't worry though, it's only 76 more months till the next update!"

:P Hehe.

I think I've been checking the forums every two hours for weeks now.  My oh my.... not rational in the slightest, but probably what any right minded dwarf would do.

I really can't believe it's been almost two years since the last major release.  I really didn't expect that two years ago, so I never made a long term fortress.  Not going to make that mistake again - am planning to play just one fortress until the next release this time.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:28 pm »

I really can't believe it's been almost two years since the last major release.  I really didn't expect that two years ago, so I never made a long term fortress.  Not going to make that mistake again - am planning to play just one fortress until the next release this time.
I know that feel. I haven't played since April 2013 because "the new version is about to come out in a month or two" and I wanted to build up the urge to play; so I'm pretty frigging THIRSTY for it right now. Also, I'm totally waiting to have a persistent world with cities from every race actually being there, and also being able to retire forts.

The thing is: I will make ONE medium-sized 100-year old world to play in the next version, and soak as much knowledge and history from it as I can. Learn the sites, the kingdoms, the characters, the names of stuff, etc; and just play all my forts (both retiring or losing them) in that world, as well as all my adventures, while its entire history unfolds.

Shit'll be cash.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 09:59:12 pm »

The thing is: I will make ONE medium-sized 100-year old world to play in the next version, and soak as much knowledge and history from it as I can. Learn the sites, the kingdoms, the characters, the names of stuff, etc; and just play all my forts (both retiring or losing them) in that world, as well as all my adventures, while its entire history unfolds.

Shit'll be cash.

That's what I'm looking forward to the most. Second most: seeing the inevitable succession world forum stories.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2014, 04:39:43 pm »

:P Hehe.

I think I've been checking the forums every two hours for weeks now.  My oh my.... not rational in the slightest, but probably what any right minded dwarf would do.

I think, many of us have been there...

I haven't started a new fortress in a while mainly because I know that with the next release we will for the first time have the opportunity of retiring and reclaiming fortresses. No more wasted forts because you just want to try something new in the same world.

How to deal with the itch instead?
Time for some sandbox playing around. I learned so many new things recently...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 10:44:55 am »

Same here, I don't like abandoning perfectly functional forts. I'm gonna stick with the current fort until release.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:41 am »

In an offering to Armok, I've been raising perfectly functional forts and then sacrificing all the dwarves to the HFS.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 11:00:28 am »

I'm gonna sacrifice mine to the HFS (or if I ever decide to brave the HFS and conquer it, I'll think of something) in some sort of unholy Armokian ceremony so all of the dwarves can reincarnate into the new version.

If it doesn't die of FPS death first.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 01:00:47 pm »

I know that feel. I haven't played since April 2013 because "the new version is about to come out in a month or two" and I wanted to build up the urge to play; so I'm pretty frigging THIRSTY for it right now. Also, I'm totally waiting to have a persistent world with cities from every race actually being there, and also being able to retire forts.

Shit'll be cash.

I think the best part about this new release is that there may finally be a good reason to keep playing in a single world, rather than making an entirely new one every time I get bored.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:20 am »

That's it. Too much urge and the first versions will be too riddled with bugs anyway. I'm starting a new fort in DF2012.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:34:07 am by Trickman »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2014, 11:22:00 am »

I like having long-lasting forts, so after my most recent meet an early death due to being lost, I'm staying patient.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 11:30:17 am »

That's it. Too much urge and the first versions will be too riddled with bugs anyway. I'm starting a new fort in DF2012.

From what I've heard, the initial 2012 release wasn't too bad. I'll probably wait for Mayday to update his/her graphics pack and wait for DT and DFhack at least to update before doing a fort. So ill probably either play around with the new arena features or play as adventurer while I wait.

Edit: Fixed iphone doing three quotes for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:42:44 pm by smjjames »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:04 pm »

and wait for DT and DFhack at least to update before doing a fort.

Yup, same here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

The new arena features ALONE make for tons of science potential because we now have a laboratory with carefully controlled and configurable climate, complete with weather, seasons (I think), and time of day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6