Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Release anticipation hype thread  (Read 6530 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Release anticipation hype thread
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »

Biggest thing I'm hyped for? Bug fixes. :(

(I will be waiting a while)
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 06:50:38 pm »

Biggest thing I'm hyped for? Bug fixes. :(

(I will be waiting a while)
I would disagree. There are probably a lot of bugfixes in the update; there is just a lot of new ones too.

I for one will be investigating Loyalty Cascades. I've done research on it before (perhaps my biggest contribution to dwarf science), so I want to see where things stand. Toady responded to me in one of the FotF replies along the lines on "They are probably gone; replaced with new exciting ones."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »

cant wait to try new combat and checking out companion loyalty

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »

checking out companion loyalty

Will you leave if I, say, shoot you in the foot with this arrow?  No?  How about if we set fire to your home village?  Really, not leaving yet?  etc. etc.  :D

Hehe, it's pretty rough having anything to do with the player in DF.  After worldgen all the entities are praying to their gods, "please don't let the player embark here, please don't let their adventurer spawn here."  My anticipation is really high, so have to drown my sorrows in other games for the time being.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 05:16:23 am »

You can only climb scenery fixtures in this release. No creature climbing.

You should be able to climb pretty much any surface except for smoothed walls. Also, the main issue with climbing creatures is pathfinding, so it's not entirely unfeasible if Toady can do something about it before release.

When DF2014 gets released I'll likely experiment with new adventurer stuff and forts retirement/reclaim. Also all kinds of bugs-induced !!FUN!! and exploring the new sites.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:27 am »

We're going to wait infinity+1 week of bugfixes. It's going to be worth it though.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:06 am »

I'm really hyped now.
Darn, it's almost been 2 years now, lets hope Toady can change the chedule a little bit and make releases at least once or twice a year.

One of the old bugs that I personally hated was that sometimes you had to get into the sewers to kill a certain monster, problem was that you would drown even though you had"sewer gates" just above you that could have been used to breath from but they didn't count as breathing area due to a lesser bug. Only way to do the quest was to turn into a vampire or other creature that could survive underwater.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 09:39:44 am »

One of the old bugs that I personally hated was that sometimes you had to get into the sewers to kill a certain monster, problem was that you would drown even though you had"sewer gates" just above you that could have been used to breath from but they didn't count as breathing area due to a lesser bug. Only way to do the quest was to turn into a vampire or other creature that could survive underwater.

ewer creatures almost always can be found lurking near the exit of the sewers in the river. If you swim in the river near the entrance you can
atract them to the surface and kill them easily.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 05:35:07 pm »

I know ^_^ , however in most of the cases I got a quest to kill certain sewer creature they could never be found in that entrance and the respawn was a little too much sometimes.
Anyway the bug was pretty anoying for me when I really wanted to scuba dive into that sewer and get rid of my quest target :P

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 11:22:37 pm »

I also thought that the ability to occupy foreign sites with your military was "in for the next release". That and worldgen/history continuing during play is something ive been waiting for since I learned it didnt happen back when I started playing.

Being able to retire forts without abandoning them is something else im excited about.

Switching between fort mode and adventure mode and hopefully the military occupations should make the world feel much more alive and its history subject to my influence.

new combat does sound excitng too as well as the new sites.

Im also looking forward to the invaders of my territory not bing plucked out of the air, so if I either attack them and reduce their numbers or just thin them as they come at me to die reducing the frequency/numbers of further attackers. Again interesting implications for adventure mode and fort mode crossover.

I also dont expect the new version to be viable for a proper fort. Ill still be excited to see the new stuff even if its broken.

And ill be happy to see any bug fixes for old stuff and the ones that follow the next release.

Irist GuruNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 04:13:36 pm »

On the 18th (after this post was made) Toady said there will be both creature climbing and having the ability to jump one air tile vertically...so  YAY! Good news keeps getting better.  That one change alone renders every fort I have ever designed obsolete and I love it!  That will make for a lot of fun and dumb behavior...couldn't ask for more ;-)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »

On the 18th (after this post was made) Toady said there will be both creature climbing and having the ability to jump one air tile vertically...so  YAY! Good news keeps getting better.  That one change alone renders every fort I have ever designed obsolete and I love it!  That will make for a lot of fun and dumb behavior...couldn't ask for more ;-)

Does this mean that dwarves will dodge attacks and fall off cliffs more easily?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:07 pm »

That's jump across one-tile gaps horizontally, not vertically. Maybe they'll try to jump from a higher ledge to a lower one, I guess, but that's not explicitly stated. Also not explicitly stated is whether or not they will have a chance of failing spectacularly at either jumping or climbing. I sure hope so.

I'm even more hyped about populations having a little bit of interaction during play, now. Goblin occupations and infighting, position succession. Things wont stagnate and die quite as quickly now.

Of course I will totally have fun making a monkey adventurer and throwing coconuts at people form the treetops.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »

As things currently are, if a dwarf is on a tile that is next to a hole, if the dwarf is attacked, the dwarf can dodge the attack into that hole.

If dwarves can jump one tile horizontally, can the dwarf fall down the hole when it is one tile away from it?  Might make fighting near ledges even more dangerous than it currently is.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »

As things currently are, if a dwarf is on a tile that is next to a hole, if the dwarf is attacked, the dwarf can dodge the attack into that hole.

If dwarves can jump one tile horizontally, can the dwarf fall down the hole when it is one tile away from it?  Might make fighting near ledges even more dangerous than it currently is.
Or potentially dodge over the hole landing on stable ground on the other side?

I would hope that the AI used for dodging near ledges has been updated to use the new logic for jumping horizontally, making dodging near edges less likely to occur (unless it involves jumping over a gap onto stable ground, such as jumping off a bridge and landing at the mouth of a volcano instead of dodging into the volcano). Although that doesn't sound like proper AI for dwarf fortress, and I'm sure many players would be very upset with their heavily nerfed dodge traps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6