Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Release anticipation hype thread  (Read 6513 times)

stonewall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Release anticipation hype thread
« on: January 15, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »

Was hoping to get a discussion going as to what everybody hopes for and plan to do in the new version, be it adventure or fortress mode.

Looking forward to climbers? Which feature has you gotten your hype on the most?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Release anticipation hype thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:53:55 pm »

Wait.

The first few versions released probably won't be playable. And even if they are, there will be so many small bugs that it won't be very enjoyable.

After that I plan to wait some more while all my favorite third party addons update (DFhack, Dwarftherapist, various binary patches and plugins, etc)

As for actual features, I've lost count of all the cool stuff I want to see. New combat system needs to be explored, really want to see some of that post worldgen action take place, and of course explore the various new sites. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 03:57:44 pm »

Being able to retire forts without them going belly up.

Climbing Giant Cave Spiders.

Sending out my militia to raze cities and towns rather than waiting for a siege or ambush to fulfill my warlike urges.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:03:03 pm »

Play Adventure mode! Even if it horribly bugged, there'll be enough new stuff to keep me occupied until the kinks are all ironed out. Plus, you get to control combat actions more when you're an adventurer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:49 pm »

Sending out my militia to raze cities and towns rather than waiting for a siege or ambush to fulfill my warlike urges.

I don't think being able to send out your own armies is due for this release.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:40 pm »

I can't wait. Seriously. I'm not even playing anything else, and I don't have much to do here ( I work overseas in a isolated place).

The first versions are very bugged but I enjoy finding bugs and reporting them.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »

Yeah, its going to be a disaster for a good six months. I am very much hoping for a very long, longer than usual bug fixing period. 34.11 was left for years with many unfortunate bugs that will likely be around for more years.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:53 pm »

Don't forget the new environmental controls for arena and the ability to put dirt, sand, and grass tiles (just the floor I think, no dirt walls or anything).

Even if there is some horrible bug that makes fort mode unplayable for the first few updates, there is still plenty of opportunity for fun and science in the new arena environmentally controlled laboratory and playing around in adventure mode.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:15 pm »

Embark on an auto-reanimating biome for the first time in a year or more.  I HaZ undead SCIENCE to perform.

You know the traditional hallway bedroom, where the dwarf's bedroom is just a bed and a door?
Well, next release, a lot of traders are going to be sleeping in those bedrooms, just with a more...permanent sort of bed. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30:54 pm »

I wont be touching Fortress mode for awhile till the bugs get worked out like others have said, but am really looking forward to playing in adventure mode with the changes, especially if I'll be able to set up my own little home for the guy without having to use the DFHack utility to turn a lair into one.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:15:18 pm »

I think I'll start out just playing around with the new mechanics until most of the bugs are fixed as well. Particularly looking forward to playing around with the new trees in fort mode, seeing how many goblins I can kill by cutting them down. Gonna be trying out adventure mode for the first time as well, so will probably be fooling around a lot at first before I get the hang of things ^^

Then, when things have settled a bit I'll be doing a full proper multi-fort world with a bunch of different adventurers, interacting in as many ways as possible :D

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 09:16:11 pm »

I'm going to build a tower in fort mode, get every dwarf on the site killed, then bring a necromancer adventurer to settle there, hopefully permanently. My ambition is to have such a character witness hundreds of years of history, potentially playable all along. And if that doesn't work out, I'm sure it will at least be !fun!.

Nor is climbing creatures, I think. Just walls. It's good hype, though!
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:58 am »

I'm going to build a tower in fort mode, get every dwarf on the site killed, then bring a necromancer adventurer to settle there, hopefully permanently. My ambition is to have such a character witness hundreds of years of history, potentially playable all along. And if that doesn't work out, I'm sure it will at least be !fun!.

I'm pretty sure we have climbing now. It was inextricably linked to elven sites, for obvious reasons.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 12:19:56 am »

I'm pretty sure we have climbing now. It was inextricably linked to elven sites, for obvious reasons.

I think Toady mentioned that only the PC can climb. The AI doesn't utilize it, for now at least.

MeTekillot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:45:47 am »

You can only climb scenery fixtures in this release. No creature climbing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6