Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gearhead abandoned?  (Read 5631 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Gearhead abandoned?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:23 pm »

I never DID get the hang of gearhead. I need to take a swing at it again.

Certainly one of the more interesting roguelikes I've played.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:12 pm »

Or all those robotics creation formulas.

Ah, yes, robot creation. I still have fond memories of the loyal companions I built out of superglue and chainsaws...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 02:15:52 am »

I was real bummed to see the wiki reset.  Lots of cool formulas that are good to know, like how many companions a character can have in GH1 with X charisma and Y leadership.  Or all those robotics creation formulas.

EDIT: The GHwiki is available via wayback machine, but most of the content seems to inaccessible.  Need to fiddle with it a bit more.

WaybackMachine GHwiki page
I have been debating taking a stab at reviving this monster. Unfortunately, I have little coding experience and not even sure how to compile stuff, to be honest.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

blazing glory

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:09 am »

Pity,watch dog won't let me see it (or what little of it is there) so I guess 1 thing I won't learn about gearhead is how on earth you make robots,or lot's of other things I would like to know,if the wiki is revived then I guess I'm not viewing it. Wondering if anyone would consider me a loony if I make a gearhead questions thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 04:11:50 am »

japanese gearhead wiki

has links and stuff

it tells you very important things if you live in a foreign land

blazing glory

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 05:20:03 am »

japanese gearhead wiki

has links and stuff

it tells you very important things if you live in a foreign land

THANK YOU! love google chrome  :D it allows me to translate it from japanese to english!

blazing glory

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:21 am »

however it requires a bit of an open mind because they have different names for stuff for example instead of good and evil you have Hero and Unscrupulous,still by far better then nothing

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:49 am »

Yeah I couldn't get the most recent archive.org snapshots of the wiki to work via the gearheadrpg address.   BUT some work with the chaosforge address - http://gearhead.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Guides:Lancemates and Cyberware, but a lot of the Guides don't :(

EDIT:  I mean putting the chaosforge address in archive.org, I see that wasn't real clear.   Like https://web.archive.org/web/20070616043914/http://gearhead.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Guides:Selecting_Cyberware
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:30:15 am by gimlet »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:41 am »

Thanks, I wasn't able to get the Lancemates guide to work (although I've had luck with the robotics guide).

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:56 am »

So I started gearhead 1 and got a bunch of access violations. I'm on windows 7, would that be effecting it?

Gearhead 2 works fine.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix it?

I'd include more info but that's basically all there is. :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 03:15:52 am »

Well. The basic SourceForge download link is a trick and won't give you everything you need to play the game. There are two solutions.

First, you can go under the SF page's "Files" tab, open the 1.100 section, and download the file gh-1100-sdlimage.zip; when you unzip that into the same directory you unzipped gh-1100-sdlwin.zip into, the game will have its missing graphics and be able to play normally.

The second and frankly better solution is to do the same thing as above, but instead of getting the image file, download gh-1100-doswin.zip and make your life better by playing the console version of GearHead instead. I wish I couldn't say this, because the SDL version is superficially cute looking and I have always really wanted to like it, but the ASCII version's UI is so much less painful to use it's not even funny...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:10 am »

sdlimage didn't solve the issue, the "Series" folder is supposed to be in the same folder as the .exe right?

Nevermind, got it!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:38:23 am by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:59 am »

Pity,watch dog won't let me see it (or what little of it is there) so I guess 1 thing I won't learn about gearhead is how on earth you make robots,or lot's of other things I would like to know,if the wiki is revived then I guess I'm not viewing it. Wondering if anyone would consider me a loony if I make a gearhead questions thread

Double post, but let it be known that I would have no issues with a gearhead questions thread, as it's certainly one of the more dense roguelikes out there!

Some notes for starting out for anyone new (Gearhead 1, Gearhead 2 is an entirely different beast in a lot of ways, but some of this will still be relevant):

In the starting village, you can find both an old phone and a mine on the outskirts, on one of the floors of that mine (I found it on the fourth, but it could be anywhere? I'm unsure), you can find a mining drill, which is an amazing personal scale melee weapon, and on the final floor (fifth), you can find a mining robot which handily deals with starting mecha scale combat! Mostly because the strongarms early enemies like to use are more of armored exoskeleton sort of things rather then legit giant robots, so you have a nice size advantage on them, but still!

Use skills! Notably repair skills, even though you have to buy materials to repair with, it's more cost effective (I think?) to repair your mech/gear/body yourself, and I'm pretty sure it gives you more exp to spend on skills/stats, which is important, because at least early on, the game likes drip feeding you exp, sooo having another source is always great. It may also give you points towards getting a new stat upgrade chance? I'm unsure where the "upgrade stat" option comes from on the menu, I just know it showed up shortly after I started using reflex based skills, and it happened to be a reflex stat up.

Personal scale gear is totally worth investing in. It's comparatively cheap to mecha gear, and some decent gear can make anything without a gun trivial (and even some gun wielders), free exp. I use melee, but I'd imagine ranged works fine too.

You will be perpetually unhappy. I'm not sure how to fix that, but it doesn't seem to effect much anyway. I do recall from asking a few questions ages ago on the forums that stuff like chocolate bars will improve your mood, but it didn't seem to do much for mine. Can't hurt anyway, the stuff is dirt cheap. This may be due to my character's low charm? Like, I'm happy, I talk to people, it goes poorly, I get unhappy maybe? It seemed like it was more due to all the fighting I was doing on personal scale.

Survival is worth investing in (at least for me). Using it on dead animals will sometimes get you a pelt (which you conveniently sell on the spot), or meat which can be eaten, and is a handy "on the fly" source of food. It's not major, but it's nice. While we're on animals, if you try to grab stuff from corpses, you'll get loot from humans, and money from animals and humans. Large sums from humans, single digits from even multiple animals.

Annnd finally another free mech in the starting town is at the mech fighting... place. Look around a bit and ask the arena manager for a rental mech. You'll have to pass a test, which requires some knowledge in mecha piloting, fighting, and artillery, but more robots is more good.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:11 am »

Yea, chocolate and to a lesser extent things like the most expensive meal in restaurants, deluxe noodle cups and deluxe rations help with mood.  I usually kept a HUGE pile of chocolate in the mech, since it was random when a store would carry it so I would stock up bigtime when one did.

Oh, and especially notable in personal scale combat, experience gain is modified by the value of worn/carried gear so don't go hog wild using really expensive stuff to kill rats.  And to be really abusive:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:22:49 am by gimlet »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 09:36:02 am »

That "weaker weapon gives more exp" thing is really neat, I like that it gives you a reason to not just slap on the best gear and go to town.

Maybe I will have to give martial arts combat a shot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3