Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exploit?  (Read 1791 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploit?
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:13:53 pm »

I may have discovered an exploit. It is a side effect of the introduction of giant drowspiders.  As goblins bring loads of them, it is possible to set up a massive amount of web farms. A single siege can bring several dozens of spiders. I got 2 pages of drowspiders off a four squad ambush. A spider can shoot 5-10 webs every few steps and with the spiders accumulated with a few sieges, you could basically use the clothes made from the silk to buy out every single caravan, and still have nine tenths of the stuff left over.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

AirPhforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploit?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:59 pm »

But all that created wealth will cause much stronger invasions. You may have the goods but lack the manpower to deal with the invasions brought about by your massive wealth inflation.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:36 pm »

But all that created wealth will cause much stronger invasions. You may have the goods but lack the manpower to deal with the invasions brought about by your massive wealth inflation.
That is true. However, it is still sort of exploit. In vanilla, you can only get a silk farm by capturing a gcs, and gcses are rare. In this mod, you can get one going rather quickly and easily.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:34:45 am »

Masterwork has dozens of ways of generating as much wealth as you could possibly want to.  I don't really see a problem with this.

The problem I see is dealing with those fucking spiders in combat >:(

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:29 am »

I never use silk farms since usually I'm trying to keep my created wealth down.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:43:14 am »

From what I can tell, it's not much of an exploit when generating that much wealth that quickly can in very short order call down enemies you are simply not equipped to deal with when you're so low down on the tech tree.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:33 am »

It's still an easy fix. Just make the webs worth 1 or 0, like forgotten beast webs. Although I personally like having my enemy give me tonnes of valuable thread and cloth.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:11 am »

The drowspiders are an issue anyway, because drow, goblins and orcs always arrive with them. We need more different pack/pull animals for these guys.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:57 am »

You could make the webs auto-dissolve to prevent their abuse.  Whether or not you want to is another question.

evilman222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:27:30 am »

I hate those spiders... Yes, they are a good source of wealth, but they have a bad habit of webbing my entire army, and letting them get beaten to death without fighting back. Really annoying when they somehow toss your adamantite-clad soldiers into the lava mote because they can't fight back.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:58:29 am »

Just don't fight the goblins with soldiers when they bring spiders. If you have a couple hundred traps, almost nothing will get through.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:02:39 am »

You call it 'exploit', I call it 'feature'.

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:33 am »

I hate those spiders... Yes, they are a good source of wealth, but they have a bad habit of webbing my entire army, and letting them get beaten to death without fighting back. Really annoying when they somehow toss your adamantite-clad soldiers into the lava mote because they can't fight back.

Aren't air mages webimmune?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:33:24 am »

yes
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

Pit the spiders?  I guess it is an exploit, but you still have to make a lot on decisions to use the spiders, and there are hidden costs.  The only way it gets bad is if you turn off all the hard siege races, but that is a whole different level of "exploit".

If you want to see the effect of rapidly raising your wealth ealry on, go make some 300 gold bearing rock mugs when you embark.  I can attest that while this rapidly gives trade goods, it can really make life hard.
Pages: [1] 2