Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241351 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2130 on: November 11, 2022, 02:37:49 pm »

someone mentionned this on a Rosigma board
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10854.0.html

That sounds rather amazing and a possibly good solution to those AI that barely move out of their spawn location

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 11, 2022, 02:51:24 pm »

Someone invented Ants in their Pants?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 12, 2022, 03:19:09 am »

Huh, I wonder if the Ahoy XCOM video will lead to any relative increase of popularity for Open X-Com.

Either way, nice. The biggest cause of me cheating/save-scumming in the game right now is sheer impatience.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 12, 2022, 12:46:13 pm »

Agreed.  I don't care how much harder it is to win against the reformed AI, just as long as it FIGHTS ME.  Camp to eternity is BORING.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 12, 2022, 05:41:20 pm »

I'm okay with camping for 50 turns as long as it's unpenalized (freshness drain...). I just hate having to search an entire tenement to find a single hostile that, instead of joining his buddies in combat, decided to hang out in the kitchen of unit 814 and make an entire pan roast.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 15, 2022, 11:23:03 am »

Got a very good month on 40k+Rosigma, i managed to take out a Necron tomb and a chaos IG big base.
And several terror-style missions that were nicely rewarding in score (good change from winning but having negative) along with some cult sacrifices and Ork transports taken out.

So i thought i was going nicely for a very good positive score like i did the previous month.

monthly score : something like -430

Huh ?
Then my interceptors detected a base on a patrol (you need to have an interceptor stopping then selecting it to patrol for it to use its radar).
Let's see the name "Base #23" ....  :o
With the few bases i took out since the beginning of the game this name means that there are at least 15 enemy bases that spawned around the world and that for some reason escaped my patrols during the past couple of months ?

I never played a mod spawning so many bases in such short time (even more odd considering how very nice my monthly scores have been so far), it's so ridiculous but then i guess it's time to enable the improved radar minimod against anti-player features like that ...

edit : took care of Base #23
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plenty of wounded and lost a good chainsword wielding Assault SM that had survived many battles in the process sadly, 14 more bases to go :/ And that playing with lowered difficulty minimod so enemies die in as much hits as my troop do instead of being more resilient.
Wouldn't be that bad if it was not so costly (so many wounded for a while and some dead) to take out a base , while there are a lot of -1200 score terror mission spawning every months that require your full strength that are heavily hit by assaulting an enemy base.

Too bad the mod balance is so out of control, but i guess it's the problem with content bloat (Rosigma insane amount of new units and weaponry and new features like multi-respawning-multiple-time-on-death enemies, one-hit-kill attack available only for enemies, random dodging that had even more luck-dependant dice roll in combat, base spawnign crazy multiplication, etc...), balancing just become hell in those condition.
Fortunately there are some mini mods that can tone down or remove those extra Rosigma features.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:33:53 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 15, 2022, 05:20:29 pm »

version  of Rosigma 2.1 (there was a .1 update quickly to fix a bug apparently)
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)
important : the current version of OXCE is 7.8 , but 40K+Rosigma are still only for 7.7.3 currently
older OXCE version can be found there https://openxcom.org/oxce/release/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:11:44 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 16, 2022, 12:41:26 pm »

There was a wrongly indexed sound file in Rosigma that prevented it to launch unless you changed in your options.cfg
oxceModValidationLevel: 2
into
oxceModValidationLevel: 0

But the author of OXCE mentionned it's a bad idea to do that because while it allows to play, the fact there's such error means the game will crash at some point.
Fortunately with the help of the OXCE author the Rosigma devs fixed the original wrong indexing, so you don't have to edit your options.cfg for it to play, new fixed version available
It's been re-named version 2.0 (so i assume them calling it 2.1 was a mistake too)
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/rosigma
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 12:46:58 pm by Robsoie »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 17, 2022, 07:12:05 pm »

just wanted to brag, i took out a prepper camp with two hands and a gnome, all wielding the most basic-ass bow and arrows.

the most difficult thing was dealing with the two grenadiers, who were holed up in the camp itself. The camp entrance spawned facing away from my vessel, meaning I was forced to make the hellish RNG trek around the perimeter while pincushioning anyone I saw, and avoiding the constant rain of lobbed nades. It took two save scums (boooo! hissss!) but my three heroic bowfighters pulled through, despite all receiving fatal wounds.

turns out, as long as the enemy has no armor, and your fighters have enough stamina, arrows are fucking great.

x-piratez long game meta remains opaque to me, but I can still have fun before eventually succumbing to assured death.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 17, 2022, 10:43:06 pm »

Bows actually have a fairly viable role throughout as a sort of sniper-grenadier (i.e. nailing specific targets outside of LOS), the main issue is limited damage types and a bit of a hump between longbows and the really fancy stuff. While grenade launchers are great AOE support, think of an expert archer as orbital mini-laser strikes - minimal collateral damage, solid single target damage that can dependably hit most of the map at once (with good placement).

Also the basic hunting bow with fire arrows makes for excellent night lighting if you're facing opponents with superior night vision. Task a single peasant or whatnot with just lobbing out fire arrows every turn around areas you suspect enemies are lurking.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 20, 2022, 03:59:53 am »

Yeah the fire arrow illumination is very useful in night missions. I shot at unlighted locations with it if nothing was visible. You can switch to other ammo once something is visible IIRC, but I kept a few bows and other arcing weapons with range in the transport for night missions to fire at illuminated enemies as well as the usual grenade hurling by gals with major league arms. The hunting bow stays useful for much longer than one would expect because of the fire arrows.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: December 23, 2022, 08:03:03 am »

Doubleposting to say that Xpiratez had an update.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: December 23, 2022, 11:49:29 am »

- Gameplay: Ninjas won't start building bases anymore until provoked (except Jack Sparrow difficulty)
Looks like the ninja toning down is something people were hoping from what i read.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: December 24, 2022, 08:42:34 am »

I haven't tried it yet, still caught up in the new DF version. I think in my last X-Piratez run I mostly ignored the bases until I had better research and aircraft, so I'm not sure I ran into the difficult versions of them. I tend to savescum really often in X-Piratez too so if I ran into them I probably cheesed them pretty hard.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: December 24, 2022, 11:28:20 am »

The last few versions Ninjas were just as bad as ever. The thing there was that it was always a crapshoot - sometimes they'd be awful b/c of their placement (and the RNG rolls as to how many secondary non-basic-airfield bases they'd make), but also in some of my games they appeared to bug their main base out of existence, which needless to say made them A LOT less threatening.

I'm rather curious what the changelog stuff about broken & interrogation means. I assume it only refers to fiddling with how the late-game VIPs are handled.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 11:29:57 am by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 153