Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241361 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2115 on: November 01, 2022, 11:55:09 am »

If all else fails when it comes to ninjas, you can always debug-kill. When it comes to certain ninja foggery I don't feel any great shame in it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: November 01, 2022, 04:45:32 pm »

I ended up doing the usual trick with a Hunter-Killing baiting the defenders out while I had my menace craft land at a forward base.

The actual battle was trickier though. I didn’t debug-kill, but I did use an absolutely disgusting amount of save-scumming — even for me.

Problem with me and ninja (forward) bases is just how dense the map is with enemies. There wasn’t really any time for me to sneak in the back when I spawn with 5 enemies immediately facing me and many more about to attack on their turn.
I had multiple grenades thrown into my transport, and it was at this moment when it burst into flames that I realized I forgot to pack fire extinguishers. Fun.
Turrets weren’t much of a problem. I brought a large number of RPGs and rockers and had someone sitting at the top of the transport with a mortar. Main problem was the aforementioned grenades and just how many enemies there were.

Ultimately though excessive use of RPGs and CAWS got me to the end, if barely. Every single person I sent has a 60-90 day injury time.

…now just to repeat this 5 more times for each other forward base.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: November 03, 2022, 09:45:22 am »

Rosigma for 40K got updated to 1.09D
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 09, 2022, 12:17:07 pm »

Sent my Rhino Squad (full of MK7 tactical armored SM with each a plasma gun) into a newly spawned CSM base.

The first level went surprisingly well, didn't tried to clear the whole map an headed to the elevator area to transport all my guys to the underground level. 
The underground level started well (plasma is good) , until a couple of chaos terminator started to throw rockets multiple times by turns and destroyed 5 of my marines...  meaning the super expensive loss of 5 MK7 armor, 5 plasma guns, oh and 5 space marines but they're easily replacable as i still have my Drop Pod team while i rebuild my number, but the amount of armor and plasma gun crafting time that's a big loss..

But in the end we prevailed, but man that was completely hard.
though i hoped for more adamantium component :/

the terribly bad difficulty balancing of a Space Marine run made me stop playing with Rosigma after some point, but since i discovered the following mods i have fun again as with all of that it finally feel like the enemy take as much damage as my troops (previously it always felt i needed a lot of shots to take down an enemy while said enemy was one shotting my heavily armored units)
Spoiler: mods list (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 12:25:52 pm by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 09, 2022, 01:05:14 pm »

40k is rough because you can't use the vast majority of the loot EVER, unlike all other X-Coms. I imagine ideal play is to have a Market right away, and prioritize manufacturing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 09, 2022, 01:54:47 pm »

Things are also locked behind some specific researches, and lots of researches are doing nothing out of just adding a picture in the codex, so you'll have to explore the research finder to quickly find which researches are actually worth doing.

And you really want to not waste any time with useless "cosmetic" research, as you can get very hard enemies very quickly so you want always better guns.
That and in addition there are tons of gun variants with some less useful than other, cluttering a lot your item list, always only focus on what can kill everything fast instead of gimmicky weaponry.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 10, 2022, 02:28:12 am »

Things are also locked behind some specific researches, and lots of researches are doing nothing out of just adding a picture in the codex, so you'll have to explore the research finder to quickly find which researches are actually worth doing.

And you really want to not waste any time with useless "cosmetic" research, as you can get very hard enemies very quickly so you want always better guns.
That and in addition there are tons of gun variants with some less useful than other, cluttering a lot your item list, always only focus on what can kill everything fast instead of gimmicky weaponry.

Almost sounds like you dived into discussing X-Piratez for a second there, LOL.
But yeah, that does define 40K.  But 40K is generally quite shallow.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 10, 2022, 06:01:25 am »

After playing xpiratez that has so much content it's certain you'll find every mod shallow :D

Though i wouldn't really call 40K shallow, especially with the multiple playable factions that features their own troops, vehicles, weaponry etc... there's quite a lot in that mod, and with the rosigma expansion there's even more content.

But the gameplay loop, diversity of mission and other activities are nowhere as developped as xpiratez for sure.
And the game balance or progression is rather bad (fortunately as mentionned before there are mini mods that can help there)

edit : X-Com Files version 2.7 got released
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:40:57 am by Robsoie »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 10, 2022, 01:12:52 pm »

Chryssalid Gas Grenade.
Zombification in a can?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 10, 2022, 02:12:43 pm »

I assume it's the same sort of thing as the anti-hellerium damage type in XPZ that works on chryssalids (and... many further uses).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: November 10, 2022, 05:11:50 pm »

There was a quick bugfix update to xcom files,version 2.7b

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 11, 2022, 02:33:42 am »

Chryss-gas is indeed Anti-511 damage. It wrecks anything with hellerium based metabolism, potentially setting it on fire.

Super effective against Chryssalids and Zombies, effective against Ubers.

Like Choke damage, bypasses energy shields. Unlike Choke damage, it merely needs contact with victim, not actual inhalation.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 11, 2022, 12:31:40 pm »

Restarted once again  ::) with new update. Got a workshop in may of second year and sickbay shortly before becuase of abysmal luck with loot. Barely scraping by despite destroying ninja outposts with cheats. First time i see a loanshark message.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least catgirl's plate armor is buyable instead of craftable.
Also new inventory system is constantly throwing me off. In particular, it appears to put double of gals' weapons on loot page, and i'm not sure if i accidentally sold all my fuso swords through "fence" or through loot screen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:58:33 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 11, 2022, 01:22:56 pm »

I really like the idea of the new inventory system and when it works, it's genuinely super convenient. But uh. I'm not sure I'd recommend it in its current state. And whether or not it improves from that current state in the future, I don't know -- the philosophy of the Open X-Com Extended developers on adding new engine stuff is always a bit weird.

The main things are modifying inventories of agents currently assigned to a craft, and the whole putting your guys' gear on the loot page. For the former, if you change someone's loadout and they're already assigned to a transport, then they don't actually bring their new loadout with them. They have to be unassigned from the transport then re-assigned to bring their different loadout aboard; otherwise, they'll start their missions with an empty inventory. The latter is even more fun, since it fucks with auto-sell. Don't need any more of a certain gun and set it to auto-sell, but have it equipped to one of your gals? Congratulations, you are now auto-selling your own equipment!

It still can be worth it right now though if you can stomach the quirks. Despite my problems with it, I haven't disabled it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 11, 2022, 01:38:00 pm »

Yeah, I don't think it's worthing using it yet, and honestly after using for a bit the marginal efficiency increase isn't worth all the fiddly-ness of it.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 153