Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241440 times)

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1890 on: July 06, 2022, 03:36:52 pm »

What about changing the formula instead of editing the save for each soldier everytime it’s needed ?
Is it doable ? What would feel "good" ?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 06, 2022, 04:23:14 pm »

I don't have Rosigma yet, but my solution would be to add the following to some facility you always have exactly one of, like the access hatch (and the aboveground base equivalent I guess?)

sickbayAbsoluteBonus: 0.0
sickbayRelativeBonus: 5.0

This heals 5% of each soldier's health per day, stacking with the 1hp per day with no facilities.  >20 days sounds roughly reasonable but it's easy to tweak.  Using the "relative" bonus instead of absolute means that high-health soldiers aren't penalized, is the main thing.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Research
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 06, 2022, 05:33:24 pm »

Thank you for that Rolan7 !
I have been googling around to find where the formula was actually located so i could simply edit it, but it seemed that it was hardcoded. And scripting a workaround like xpiratez does with its freshness + mana system was way beyond my knowledge.

That solution to add those bonus to a basic facility sounds really perfect to fix that massive recovery time problem of those high health troops.
20 to 30 days max sounds very good in gameplay term.

EDIT
the access lift ( STR_ACCESS_LIFT ) and access outposts ( STR_ACCESS_OUT ) facilities for 40k/Rosigma are defined in the terrain_40k.rul of   mods\40k\Ruleset\  (they're not present in the mods\Rosgima\Ruleset\  oddly) so it's where you'll need to add the sickbayAbsoluteBonus and sickbayRelativeBonus entries

Looking into the files, i noticed the existence of an Apothecary Bay (and some other type of Bay for the other factions you can play as) that provide those healing bonus, but on my playthrough i never saw it so i guess it's beyond the mid-tier research (or higher), that you should postpone for a while until your troops are good enough.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:25:58 am by Robsoie »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 07, 2022, 11:28:31 am »

Thanks for that- I've not tried the 40k/ROSIGMA mod yet, but I've added the same tweak in anticipation for when I do. I know just about nothing related to 40k, but more XCOM is more fun, right?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 07, 2022, 12:10:27 pm »

That combination of 40K and Rosigma is rather amazing with an incredible amount of content.
It's not yet on par with the insane amount of stuff found in X-Piratez, but it's on its way as the Rosigma expansion is continuously worked on with even more stuff added on each release.

Similarly to X-Piratez, one of the difficulty is to get familiar with the truckloads of weapons and ammos as there are several variants of the same weapons (that have their own stats or firemodes) and another difficulty is how to get a feel of the enemies power level in comparison to yours if you're not expert in wh40k.   

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:15 am »

I don't know if it's a game mechanic of tabletop wh40k , but there's a good interest in having some troops with laser in 40K/Rosigma , laser destroy armor.
Meaning you have some guardsmen making holes in that heavily armored brute and you can finish it easily with some bolters.

Apparently there's mention of a monster that is extremely resistant to both bullets and lasers, but not to fire, so make sure to always have some flamers around, and flamers are awesome anyways, got a triple kill combo in the same shot recently with a scout and a flamer :D

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 08, 2022, 11:41:45 am »

It's been a long time since I was current w/40k stuff, but a couple editions ago lasers didn't degrade armor - and for that matter, I HAVE seen recent Necromunda rules which are broadly similar, and there's no armor degradation there. Armor stripping is something being imported to that ruleset - but at the same time, there's some logic to doing so, as 40k almost always gives a chance to damage things, even if it's a tiny chance, and the OXC engine can have situations where it's literally impossible for a given weapon to hurt a given unit. Generally, laser rifles in 40k are middling-to-weak weapons - they're more reliable than conventional assault rifles (autoguns), but no more accurate or deadly.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 08, 2022, 02:02:13 pm »

Sounds like they just want to add in the laser armor pre-damage mechanic from X-Pirates, yeah.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 08, 2022, 03:42:21 pm »

Almost every weapon in Rosigma has at least a little armor damage, just lasers specialize in it (while otherwise being pretty weak). Lasers also tend to be on pretty crummy weapons platforms (e.g. poor accuracy, no aimed shot, or some other flaw) so they are still not ideal to be using.

Balance for tougher enemies in Rosigma seems to be based on giant armor and health pools, so you have to grind down the armor. Not entirely sure I like it, but it's different. (For your own troops there are armor-repairing support troops.)

Anyhoo, I switched over to X-Com files before too long, as Rosigma still feels fairly unpolished / in progress.

At just about the end of year 1, and I can see why it's a popular mod. Pretty polished, interesting variety (though still somewhat grindy like XPZ), and it is setting up a neat narrative arc of playing 'pre-xcom xcom'. Also feels a bit like a missing link or even synthesis between oldcom, newcom, and even XPZ lore-wise.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 08, 2022, 04:13:59 pm »

I really like X-COM files but while it’s still pretty gradual the switch to more traditional X-com gameplay feels super jarring. Just… a bit disappointing. You’re playing the pretty unique early gameplay then the mod just starts taking that away and it feels more like traditional X-Com with some extra mods.

Still good throughout regardless. I just wish it let the focus more on the early style of gameplay.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 08, 2022, 04:39:57 pm »

I have admittedly never actually played a vanilla oldcom campaign, hah. Crazy, I know.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 08, 2022, 05:15:34 pm »

I have admittedly never actually played a vanilla oldcom campaign, hah. Crazy, I know.
BURN THE HERETIC!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 09, 2022, 05:16:30 am »

Blaster Launchers are so much fun in the original xcom.

Just be worried about what is a safe distance, it's very common to lose half of your squaddies by misjudging how big the explosion radius is.

In other news, Rosigma has a 1.08C release
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 09, 2022, 08:40:34 am »

I don't have Rosigma yet, but my solution would be to add the following to some facility you always have exactly one of, like the access hatch (and the aboveground base equivalent I guess?)

This heals 5% of each soldier's health per day, stacking with the 1hp per day with no facilities.  >20 days sounds roughly reasonable but it's easy to tweak.  Using the "relative" bonus instead of absolute means that high-health soldiers aren't penalized, is the main thing.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Research

An update on this,  after a few days of playing with this, it unfortunately was not working.
Learned on the openxcom board that OXCE makes a difference between lowercase and capital letters, so it must be
sickBayAbsoluteBonus: 0.0
sickBayRelativeBonus: 5.0
and not

And only then it worked.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 09, 2022, 09:29:22 am »

Imagine an OpenXCom mod based on all of the 80s UFO myths- that's basically oldcom. It's worth playing at least once.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 153