Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241712 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1635 on: August 31, 2021, 01:38:14 pm »

Resizing the geoscape can be important because at certain resolutions the "unallocated runts/brainers" readout doesn't appear.  I can't find any option for it, so I think it's default behavior but I didn't know about it for a long time because I hadn't scaled my geoscape.

But yeah I've been running 2X Geoscape and 2X Battlescape in a 1024x768 window.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 31, 2021, 01:43:39 pm »

Resizing the geoscape can be important because at certain resolutions the "unallocated runts/brainers" readout doesn't appear.  I can't find any option for it, so I think it's default behavior but I didn't know about it for a long time because I hadn't scaled my geoscape.

Is that what those numbers in the upper right corner are? I've been passively wondering about that for years and just figured they were some kind of flavor text.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 31, 2021, 01:45:38 pm »

That's them!  I also turn on the funds display in the Bridge options.

Oh and the readout only appears if some people are unallocated.  It's usually a very convenient warning, though that makes it somewhat annoying when you have projects that take up workshop space (displacing some runts).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 01:49:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: August 31, 2021, 03:29:37 pm »

OMG, having just seen the CHILLIN' label, I absolutely couldn't figure out WTH those were. That's both very useful and probably something I'd not have figured out for several more years.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: August 31, 2021, 03:35:53 pm »

I love xpiratez but I find it to be very... opaque. I often feel as though my playthroughs are destined for failure because I don't understand some meta-strategy or optimization. Since I continue to learn little tricks, I'm happy for now, but I really wish a properly formatted .pdf manual existed. The in-game pedia is obnoxious, and some of the fonts have poor legibility.

ssethtzeentach will eventually review this game, calling it now.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 31, 2021, 03:49:35 pm »

100% true.  I'd almost say you need to join the Discord to know what the hell you're doing, and the Discord is... aggressively unfiltered, let's say.  Dioxine is casually derisive, sure, but he isn't the worst part of the discord by far.

And apparently we got a update TODAY that "significantly changed early and mid game campaign dynamics".  Like yeah dude, same as it ever was?  The fact that he had to point that out specifically terrifies me.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/x-piratez/downloads/dioxine-xpiratez-m1
She/they

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 31, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »

Playing on the 4th difficulty pre-codex, I'm finding most encounters to feel easier than before with three glaring exceptions-- sky ninjas seem tankier than I remember, ratmen missions seem to spawn you in a killbox half the time (one map, I couldn't even get a single gal out of the ship before two of them would die to a shotgun salvo from three ratmen... nope'd my way out of that mission), and I'm not sure what weapon it is, but somebody in the Temple is able to throw 3*3x3 fireballs that are super annoying.

Has anybody tried exploring a no-codex run yet?
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 31, 2021, 06:01:27 pm »

Jesus.  I only play on second difficulty, so that the enemies have intended levels of bullshittium.  And to be honest I still reload to the default autosaves.  I'm not good, I'm just looking to have fun.

Getting good at this OldCOM kinda fucked up some people.  I've seen people exploiting the mechanics.  It's a dark path.
She/they

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 31, 2021, 06:09:10 pm »

I usually play on the 4th because, at least a few versions back, there was no mechanical difference between 2/3/4 other than number of units that spawn, which wasn't much of an issue. Just meant that instead of trying to capture everybody, you'd just kill half of them and capture the laggards. Sure, your casualties would increase slightly, but your rate of growth was far quicker and allowed you to more easily outpace and time-based growth.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: September 01, 2021, 05:22:52 am »

Playing on the 4th difficulty pre-codex, I'm finding most encounters to feel easier than before with three glaring exceptions-- sky ninjas seem tankier than I remember, ratmen missions seem to spawn you in a killbox half the time (one map, I couldn't even get a single gal out of the ship before two of them would die to a shotgun salvo from three ratmen... nope'd my way out of that mission), and I'm not sure what weapon it is, but somebody in the Temple is able to throw 3*3x3 fireballs that are super annoying.

Has anybody tried exploring a no-codex run yet?

The priests sometimes have flamethrowers.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: September 01, 2021, 08:56:14 pm »

I've been playing The Great War of The Worlds, which I thought would be harder since its set in WWI era, but those Bolt Action rifles are as deadly as the default rifles while being significantly more accurate (stupidly high).  So, it's kinda easier?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: September 03, 2021, 10:52:37 pm »

I love xpiratez but I find it to be very... opaque. I often feel as though my playthroughs are destined for failure because I don't understand some meta-strategy or optimization. Since I continue to learn little tricks, I'm happy for now, but I really wish a properly formatted .pdf manual existed. The in-game pedia is obnoxious, and some of the fonts have poor legibility.

ssethtzeentach will eventually review this game, calling it now.

Part of the issue is that the XPiratez dev hates it when there is a single successful strategy that is different from what they want. So the balance often changes based on people reporting something works well, or an annoying person on Discord saying something kind of works, and the dev wanting that person in particular to fail. And because the dev doesn't like much of anyone, most changes are nerfs instead of making things easier.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: September 30, 2021, 10:43:30 pm »

Kinda a really basic question that I just realized I don't know the answer to: what's the damage range for weapons that don't explicitly list one? Is 50%-150% the norm, or is it something else?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: September 30, 2021, 11:59:25 pm »

Good question, actually it's 0-200%!  It's listed in the "Combat 101" entry.
I like the weapons like sniper rifles which roll twice and average, since their damage is so much more reliable. 
She/they

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 02, 2021, 07:33:46 pm »

I always thought the 40k mod could implement Gene Seed for Space Marine recruitment.  The game can track player corpses, so it shouldn't be too hard.  Explosives would be an issue, but aren't they always?
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 153