Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241769 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1605 on: May 12, 2021, 10:36:46 am »

Has anyone modded personality into the soldiers?

How?

And how would one play this with AI Dungeon?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: May 12, 2021, 04:36:36 pm »

Roughly describe the scenario and soldiers, and give all your commands in AIDungeon first to see how they actually respond to them. Try to mimic thier actions as best you can in-game.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: May 12, 2021, 07:59:23 pm »

Okay, that... actually does sound interesting. I might try that out some time and see if the AI gives any good advice...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: May 25, 2021, 04:57:47 pm »

...ya know, it feels odd no one's ever done Necromunda in this engine. It seems like it'd be a natural fit, although working out a campaign arc would be odd. Storm the spires or somesuch?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: May 25, 2021, 09:18:23 pm »

...ya know, it feels odd no one's ever done Necromunda in this engine. It seems like it'd be a natural fit, although working out a campaign arc would be odd. Storm the spires or somesuch?
Either that or a slowly encroaching Chaos/Genestealer cult invasion.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: May 27, 2021, 01:25:33 am »

Just did some science.  *tosses a full bottle of moonshine*
Huh.  Probably for the better.

Okay so first off, we'd been told that repeatedly interrogating peeps was valid.
I mean, it was.
It's not.

Interrogating captivies takes between 10-15 (sometims 7 or 20+) RH.  Whereas a decrypted data disc is 2  Runt-hours.

New meta is to eat shit if you interrogate everyone.  The game will even tell you that you're behind the times.
Kinda curious if that's true.  I've kept a save -

Either way, I'm in Marrch or June without doing the interception game early.  Frankly, I suspect that the game allows any strategy into the mid-long game!!!!

(Particularly because I watched Dioxine fondly observe someone reach late year 2 with painfully bad tech)
(But it's been over half a year since I interacted with Dio).
My guess - slow runs might still have a chance if they pick up their shit (and also pick up good salvage)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: May 27, 2021, 11:48:51 am »

Hold on - I thought interrogating captives in XPiratez required Brainers?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: May 27, 2021, 12:54:01 pm »

Yep, it's brainers for normal research "interrogation", and runts for capital-I Interrogation of VIPs.

My current game is about 2y in, and I'm mostly using high-end firearms.  I'm interrogating everything I can, though, and advancing much more slowly on theoretical sciences, which has slowed game progression a whole lot. Just saw my first Mercenaries, so that's probably going to have to change quickly, though - fortunately I can buy basic energy weapons. Armor is gonna be the real problem - right now I have nothing that can stand up to gauss or suchlike even a little. But it really feels like slow-walking is much more feasible than it used to be - though note well that I'm playing on John Silver since losing is less fun when you're playing a very-protracted and fairly repetitive game with an excess of RNG.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: May 27, 2021, 01:23:35 pm »

Frick.  Yeah, I meant brainer-days.

What I was... deliriously attempting to say, is that interrogating prisoners takes a lot of brainer time compared to just researching items directly.  You also don't get the score bonus for the prisoner each time (only the first time) unless that's changed.  Not that the score bonus is particularly superior to the ones you get from meaningful tech-advances.  If you need to grind some score, it's better to sort by cost (a nice new feature) and research the random guns/items at the top.

Interrogation is still useful if you're at a progress roadblock, or in rare cases to get certain techs like shadowmasters (shadow chasing?).  Or other techs ahead of time, skipping requirements, I think - but that just makes it a better idea to research the random junk first, increasing your odds.

You also want to research almost everyone *once*.  A lot of even lower-tier enemies unlock research, and it also affects the score for capturing them in the future (almost always positively).

But yeah I did a much more optimized run and, despite having no interception (I'm still incredulous that people do interception with aircars and spikeballs or whatever, anything before Scarab) I had personal labs researched by the end of March.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:12 pm »

Hawk was my first serious interceptor, but I'm 99% certain I was doing Aircar + 25mmx2 cannon. It was really easy to pick up craft weapons off of landed air traffic. Admittedly, the for-when-I'm-traveling game I've got going on my laptop I actually was doing (very careful) Little Bird + 25mmx2 cannon interception. I'm not sure exactly what I did differently research-wise, but that game advanced MUCH faster - terrifyingly fast, I'd argue.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: May 28, 2021, 12:44:44 pm »

New meta is to eat shit if you interrogate everyone.  The game will even tell you that you're behind the times.
Kinda curious if that's true.  I've kept a save -

It does; I got that a few weeks ago when on the easiest difficulty and an incredible lack of any missions... I was so far behind that I want to say it was around June that I got the Builders' Hall contacts. If I recall correctly, it basically said I should aim to have Personal Labs opened in the next few months at the latest, if I want to keep up.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: May 28, 2021, 12:53:37 pm »

Wait, weren't previous versions pretty lenient on the power curve (more waiting for you to take action), at least when not on the harder difficulties? Has that changed?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: May 28, 2021, 02:04:03 pm »

I'm suspicious what happened - at least in my case - was that I figured out the research paths I wanted, and didn't really blindly research, and there's a lot more "affects mission progression" labels than there used to be. I'm pretty sure a lot of things I've put off researching b/c of that didn't used to be labeled...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: May 28, 2021, 03:43:37 pm »

Wait, weren't previous versions pretty lenient on the power curve (more waiting for you to take action), at least when not on the harder difficulties? Has that changed?

It was a game played very suboptimally because I knew I'd only be spending a few hours on it, but somewhere between lack of aggressiveness, bad base placement and bad luck, I had MAYBE two missions a month, and mostly killed my targets instead of capturing them, with the end result of a lack of stuff in the right direction to research.

The poor tech wasn't really a problem yet, but a cautionary statement still came up.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: May 28, 2021, 05:25:32 pm »

I used to be tragically online on the X-Piratez Discord and there was this one guy well into year two, maybe year three, who was telling us about his difficulties.  (Not researching the *correct* techs, staying at an early Pirate state)

And actually, it was kinda working.  He was facing extreme threats, with shields, but he had adapted to them.  It was, legitimately, inspiring.
(this was 6 months ago)
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 153