Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241797 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1575 on: February 15, 2021, 04:40:41 am »

I do not remember if servitors can heal HP, but I do remember them repairing armor.

But now that you will be taking a Valkyrie, you can also use Guardsmen medics.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 15, 2021, 05:18:48 am »

I will have to check those guardsmen medics, but my apothecary is so incredible that i think i'll get another one.

After selling the drop pods (it does not even give you money to sell them) and buying a valkyrie (those slow merchants made me miss another space hulk mission, they really disappear fast), a terror mission soon appeared and i sent the valkyrie (you can only pack 10 marines , it was 12 in drop pods) to location.
After a slow flight, when closing in, i noticed 2 enemy fighters flying, one that went directly in collision course with my valkyrie and destroyed it.

I'm so happy i don't play in ironman, as i noticed that i forgot to give a pilot to the ship (probably why it couldn't defend itself well) , that loss of so many of those expansive armors would have been enough to make me throw my monitor through a window :D

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 15, 2021, 05:43:19 am »

After a few unsatisfactory starts, I settled on an Imperial Guard regiment.

Got to say, I'm loving the Chimera- 24 guardsmen can come on missions (or in my case 18 guardsmen, 2 in Sentinel HWPs) and whatever cannon it's mounting (some kind of auto-las?) is a way better landing area clearer then the drop-pod explosions.
The first time I called an airstrike it was glorious! (the second time I called it, I found out I only get 1 per mission, which makes sense.)
And did I mention Sentinels can stomp on people? Just come up to a chaos marine and *crunch*.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 15, 2021, 01:08:37 pm »

Ran in a terror mission that had several chaos raptor with plasma weaponry and a lot of huge "red metal robot lion" named "chaos juggernauts"

I had several of my devastators armed with heavy bolter shooting AP ammo at one of them at full auto , along a grenade from a scout (that didn't died to the usual enemy grenade spam), and the thing was still eating with no problems the poor useless guardsmen that were also present in that mission.

And there were a lot of those murder giant robot lion khorne thingies running around the map (even more than the chaos raptors).

About grenades, it's still the best weapon as it does high damage and never miss , in fact i don't think i ever lost more than 5% of my dead troops to anything else as bolters/plasma and laser seems to miss a lot (both in my troops hand and in the enemy hands), but grenade, that's the way apparently.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:10:39 pm by Robsoie »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 15, 2021, 01:43:27 pm »

That was certainly my experience!  Did a test run last night, sent my drop pods to a landed chaos vehicle of some kind.  There were  like 6 cultists quite close to the pods, and I only managed to take out 3.  I took 2-3 grenades in return and lost almost all my squad.  It wasn't a serious attempt, though - there was a CSM, and the enemy craft's gun was still active since I'd ignored the pedia's advice 8)

I'll have to try more seriously later, and consider bringing grenades of my own.  And presumably only attacking disabled craft and special missions at first.  Seems like a lot of cool content - I only knew about the Arbites faction in the vaguest of terms, but their "penal" soldiers along with armored ones looks pretty fun!  I like that they came with some stun rods too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 15, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »

Has anyone figured out how to do training "side-missions"? I unlocked them in research, but don't know how to start one.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 15, 2021, 03:25:25 pm »

Ran in a terror mission that had several chaos raptor with plasma weaponry and a lot of huge "red metal robot lion" named "chaos juggernauts"
They're more gigantic angry red metal armored daemon bulls with teeth, and yeah you need even stronger weaponry then Heavy Bolters if you really want to hit them hard in this as they've got amazing toughness and armor it seems.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 16, 2021, 01:29:54 am »

They're more gigantic angry red metal armored daemon bulls with teeth, and yeah you need even stronger weaponry then Heavy Bolters if you really want to hit them hard in this as they've got amazing toughness and armor it seems.
The good thing about bolters of any kind is, that their AP rounds have a 0.1 armor pre-damage multiplier. That means that after resistance is applied, but before armor value is, armor value is degraded by 10% of the nominal damage. So unless something is outright immune to AP damage, bolters will eventually kill it.

I think plasguns have a 0.05 armor pre-damage, I do not remember what else, other than melta stuff, has it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 16, 2021, 11:29:16 am »

Lasers have pretty good armor pre-damage (15%?).  Opening fire with lasers, then finishing off with bolters, is a thing.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 16, 2021, 04:20:35 pm »

Has anyone figured out how to do training "side-missions"? I unlocked them in research, but don't know how to start one.
They auto start on the geoscape. But boy is it tedious to manually fire off shots for 24 guardsmen.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 20, 2021, 05:42:25 pm »

Chainswords might work, although it might take a few marines, several whom won't make it.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 16, 2021, 02:12:34 pm »

XPiratez had a new update, I started a new game on it. The early game balance feels much better than a few updates ago.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 18, 2021, 09:20:07 pm »

XPiratez had a new update, I started a new game on it. The early game balance feels much better than a few updates ago.

Oh, it actually has balance now?  That is an improvement!  :P

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 02, 2021, 04:34:43 pm »

I have been playing on and off xpiratez for years now. It is challenging to get into, but still, I think not as much challenging as xenonauts x-division. It is very enjoyable if you don't fail badly (but all of it is on you game mechanic wise) .
What i want to write about is that i have tried to play 40k mod for first time. 40k base mod + sisters expansion (completely unrelated to issues below - only started playing astartes). IMO IT IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE PRE-ALPHA VERSION:
1) Mod page says you should use version X of openxcom. When trying to run version X with this mod you are informed it needs version Y to work correctly. Ok, someone doesn't update it, nothing to worry about.
2) After half a month of game time I have a first mission - cultists summoning. More on supposed difficulty later on. I have finished it quite easily. Little surprised about enemies spawning in the end of the mission. Here comes the problem mission ended with a crash because not all cutltist died - some were bleeding out. They are considered captured by the game. Game CRASHES because mod is set to give "live alien" of cultist it has no definition of. Ok, I know how openxcom works thanks to trying to make xpiratez fun experience for myself. Simple fix - remove live alien capture from cultist. I hope it won't break future expected research. Replay last few turns of the battle.
3) Second mission similar to first one. I have already fixed that. No problem here.
4) Terror mission with orks - had to retreat early with some losses. Couldn't really sustain required losses against ork bikes. Early extract didn't give any problems.
5) First detection of enemy "ufo". Couldn't get to it in time because it was at the border. Short time after that I get crashed because of some range detection error.
I have already abandoned the project not even playing through the first month. It is more like developing the mod instead of playing it.
Out of first 4 first "encounters" it would end it 75% crashes. I have decreased it to 25% thanks to knowing the engine. Didn't even bother with 2nd game-breaking fix in 1st month. For that DIY 1-liner fix the only thing mentioned on openxcom forums (i've checked) is "it will be fixed in next version". Last version is 2 months old.
DO NOT PLAY 40K MOD UNLESS YOU ARE A MODDER YOURSELF AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR FREE TIME. THIS BELONGS IN THE TRASH/DEV-ONLY FOR FEW YEARS (considering development time).
Most problem with base x-piratez I have encountered over the years was being blocked out of some research branches that you wouldn't even notice if you didn't know they were there (:* gnomes).
Will not even go into how much detail and open-xcom mechanics "bootypedia" go into vs what 40k offers.

edit: forgot about difficulty: whoever said summoned chaos creatures were hard/imbalanced, never had to play against mercs/tanks in x-piratez
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:13:07 pm by lastverb »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 02, 2021, 05:22:30 pm »

I thought that, as of a few months ago, the only tech branches in XP you could get locked out of were the exclusive ones (like the Tiny Drill colors) or by doing something egregiously dumb (like selling the Tiny Drill, despite the warnings). Most things even have multiple backdoor routes, if convoluted, like if you refuse to join the Mutant Collective.

(And thanks for the WH warning... I was actually going to give it a shot after this XCF run, but... Eeek.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 153