Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 242094 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1455 on: April 21, 2020, 12:27:35 am »

I could've sworn that if you knocked a living humanoid unconscious, they wouldn't rearm themselves and would thereafter count as defeated for the purposes of ending the map (since they'd have zero morale?)... was that changed in the last few versions, or did something Weird happen? Specifically, I had an altar boy wake up on one map that shot me in the back, and a drifter on another where the map didn't end until I knocked him out. In both cases, they woke while I was standing next to them so I'm sure they weren't units that I just didn't see.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 21, 2020, 03:26:13 am »

AFAIK, surrender mechanics are separate from hostiles picking up weapons.

That is, if all living humans/mutants on the map had been knocked unconscious, panicked, berserked or been MCd, and there are no other hostiles conscious, all humans/mutants surender.
But whether they do or do not pick up weapons has no bearing on this, or the other way around.

Also, hostile morale behaves similarly to your own. It regenerates when they kill someone or when they panic/berserk. And they can panic/berserk without a message.

However, the drifter one sounds strange. If the map ended when he was knocked out again (rather than when you ended your turn afterward), then he must have been the last enemy.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 21, 2020, 05:10:57 am »

Yeah; I for a while, I've always operated under the assumption that all living units being knocked unconscious once would end the mission, and that's held true for J14 up through K2. (Never checked what happens with robotics, and I'm pretty sure zombies have to all be unconscious simultaneously.)

But the hostiles picking up weapons after getting knocked out and recovering... I'm pretty sure that shows up as an option in vanilla OXCE, but I've never encountered that in XP, prior to moving to L1A1. Guess I'll have to start emptying guns from now on... happen to know if they'll reload weapons if I just leave the gun and ammo at their feet?
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:47 am »

Yeah; I for a while, I've always operated under the assumption that all living units being knocked unconscious once would end the mission, and that's held true for J14 up through K2. (Never checked what happens with robotics, and I'm pretty sure zombies have to all be unconscious simultaneously.)

But the hostiles picking up weapons after getting knocked out and recovering... I'm pretty sure that shows up as an option in vanilla OXCE, but I've never encountered that in XP, prior to moving to L1A1. Guess I'll have to start emptying guns from now on... happen to know if they'll reload weapons if I just leave the gun and ammo at their feet?

I think they can only pick up a weapon if they end their movement on one on the turn after waking up, or something weird like that. It's pretty far into edge-case scenario unless the map is riddled with empty weapons.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 22, 2020, 02:49:37 am »

>:(

One of my gals has enough strength to kill the target in one hit, with a HANDLE.  A weapon I'm fond of using for taking captives.  And given I was on a mission to actually capture the target instead of killing them, that was annoying as all heck to restart.

:'(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 22, 2020, 03:15:55 am »

One of my gals has enough strength to kill the target in one hit, with a HANDLE.  A weapon I'm fond of using for taking captives.  And given I was on a mission to actually capture the target instead of killing them, that was annoying as all heck to restart.

If I recall the numbers right, a handle only does like 25 health damage with max stats and a max roll. What on earth was the poor thing whose head you made explode with a love tap?  :o

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 22, 2020, 06:23:33 am »

That's why I use stun batons. They do more damage in the hands of complete newbies, and less damage in the hands of swole melee goddesses, resulting in fewer accidental deaths. Also work on robots.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 22, 2020, 07:01:17 am »

If I recall the numbers right, a handle only does like 25 health damage with max stats and a max roll. What on earth was the poor thing whose head you made explode with a love tap?  :o
Worse. Even with maximal roll and no armor, only 14 health damage.

10+0.35Bra+0.2Str (in K2)
So at Bra=100, Str=80, it would be 10+35+16=61 Daze.
Oh, and it has RandomType:2.  (50% to 150%) Max damage is thus 91.5
But with ArmorEffectiveness 1.22, it should be less useful against armored foes.
And with ToHealth=0.15, at most 13.725 damage will be to health at such stats (Assuming max dmg roll, 100% Daze vulnerability and 0 armor.)

Of course, this is assuming maximal natural stats. Gals could have much higher stats with condemnations, so 25 HP damage is still on the table.

Funny thing: I looked at it's stats of course. I noticed it has ToMorale: -22. This means getting hit with the handle heals 22*damage_dealt morale.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 22, 2020, 07:17:12 am »

I've been keeping my game restricted on the tech, even though it's already logged something like 18 hours of playtime.  As you can imagine, I've run through literally hundreds of hands being killed... but I have a few prizes that have survived and now literally 'wreck' everything that crosses their paths.  So I send them on the hardest missions.

And then stuff like that happens.  Also, I don't do a whole lot of the math, but in this case the gal has 180 STR stat, which is the highest of every I have.

So any better options?  Or should I switch to just fists? Lol.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 22, 2020, 07:34:18 am »

Low-tech, hmm.
Ninja stick, Rope and Leather whip seem to have low lethality even at extremely high strength. Leather whip does not even use Str in it's calculation.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 22, 2020, 07:50:22 am »

If memory serves, damage inflicted can be anywhere from 0-200%. This can result in shots from assault rifles doing seemingly nothing, or it can result in instant kills.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 22, 2020, 08:55:40 am »

I know some mods let you pick if it's 50-150 or 0-200... I thought XP was one of the latter though. (I also typically just assume my gals are at 100 bravery and 100 strength, since it makes numbers easier and it's not unreasonably high.)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 22, 2020, 09:29:35 am »

If memory serves, damage inflicted can be anywhere from 0-200%. This can result in shots from assault rifles doing seemingly nothing, or it can result in instant kills.

In vanila UFO:EU, this is true for all direct weapons (effectively RandomType=1). Explosives do 50% to 150%, fire has it's own thing.
In TFTD, almost everything has 50% to 150%.
In mods, as Aoi said, the modder gets to choose this for every weapon separately. (Variable "RandomType")

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 22, 2020, 10:26:32 am »

And in X-Piratez, descriptions & the pedia tell the general rules on what types of weapons have what damage ranges. Alternatively, the analysis page for a weapon will tell you what its damage roll is - or just open the inventory and mouse over a given weapon/ammo and hold alt, and it'll show you the damage range in the hands of that particular user. Very handy.

If I recall correctly, here are some of the general rules:
  • Melee does 50-150%, with a number of exceptions.
  • Single-round guns do 0-200% (that is, one bullet per shot so this includes pistols and assault rifles)
  • Shotguns are 50-150, I think?
  • Sniper-type guns do (0-100)+(0-100), so more consistently in the middle than generic guns [Using alt to look at damage spreads will show you an asterisk* to denote the double roll]
  • Explosives are 50-150
  • Magic is variable?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 22, 2020, 03:30:34 pm »

It's different for guns and melee weapons, but I can't remember which is which. I think the other type of weapon does 50-150%.

Low-tech, hmm.
Ninja stick, Rope and Leather whip seem to have low lethality even at extremely high strength. Leather whip does not even use Str in it's calculation.

The leather whip usually does little enough damage to help train your armored gals' bravery.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 153