Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241724 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1230 on: October 22, 2019, 01:20:22 pm »

How annoying the Gnome bounty is depends on what's in the sewer with her. I didn't mind Raiders as much (even though it was my first time seeing a Gnome so I had to adapt on the fly to capture her after figuring out what walls to dig through to even find the part of the sewer where she was). I enjoyed the next one I did that was Zombies (mostly Troopers) a whole lot less.

Also, from the Discord re: getting jumped by Hunter-Killer-type craft when intercepting rando fliers, there were supposed to be radar circles for those, but the default settings only show them if you've got Hyperwave radar tracking them. To fix that, in piratez_globals.rul add "drawEnemyRadarCircles: 2" next to the ufoGlancingHitThreshold entry.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:45:46 pm by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 22, 2019, 02:35:57 pm »

Yeah, it looked like Dioxine posted 2 different .rul fixes today. It's possible there will be a patch at some point.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 22, 2019, 04:45:07 pm »

I wish i knew how to edit those crappy water pattern that can fill some maps in a way it's just unfun to play on them, even blowing up the blocking trees (with weaker explosion or fire as it can even remove the land under it) do not even allow to walk on those internal "land" path, they seem to be even less than 1 tile so no way to walk there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would really hate to play on ironman with that kind of thing, flying is so far in tech from my current researches
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:46:49 pm by Robsoie »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 22, 2019, 04:50:33 pm »

Yeah I hate those too, though it's usually not a big deal to just abort the mission (it's usually obvious on the first turn). Still utterly ridiculous of course!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 22, 2019, 05:44:13 pm »

Having a Blaster Launcher in xpiratez would also solve the problem :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 22, 2019, 07:30:43 pm »

I wish i knew how to edit those crappy water pattern that can fill some maps in a way it's just unfun to play on them, even blowing up the blocking trees (with weaker explosion or fire as it can even remove the land under it) do not even allow to walk on those internal "land" path, they seem to be even less than 1 tile so no way to walk there.

I would really hate to play on ironman with that kind of thing, flying is so far in tech from my current researches

We've done it in the succession game. I agree, it's a huge pain, though. I just had a boogeyman hunt go an extra 3-4 turns (out of 6) because I had to go around several lakes to get the last one.

Have you tried starting fires on the other side, and shooting anyone you don't need hostages from?

Having a Blaster Launcher in xpiratez would also solve the problem :D

I don't remember that solving problems other than "how many circles before it actually explodes?" and "I guess I just have too many soldiers, and need to blow some up."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 22, 2019, 07:35:30 pm »

We've done it in the succession game. I agree, it's a huge pain, though. I just had a boogeyman hunt go an extra 3-4 turns (out of 6) because I had to go around several lakes to get the last one.

Have you tried starting fires on the other side, and shooting anyone you don't need hostages from?

As i fortunately don't play on ironman, i just reloaded and it gave me a more playable map for those tower capture. I'm trying to knockout people instead of killing or burning them to death/exploding them on that new run :D

Also, from the Discord re: getting jumped by Hunter-Killer-type craft when intercepting rando fliers, there were supposed to be radar circles for those, but the default settings only show them if you've got Hyperwave radar tracking them. To fix that, in piratez_globals.rul add "drawEnemyRadarCircles: 2" next to the ufoGlancingHitThreshold entry.
Thanks i had done the editing, as i'm still very early game and would have hated to lose the airbus with something like that
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:39:07 pm by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 23, 2019, 03:38:21 am »

The unaccessible parts are a problem with the map generator, not something Dioxine has done, or could do much about.
And flying can be obtained within a few months if you meet the right enemies.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 23, 2019, 05:40:25 am »

One could also get a non-lethal stun weapon, stun a gal and throw her and some gear over. This however is will probably tank morale and freshness.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 23, 2019, 05:51:31 am »

Thanks for that suggestion, i never thought about something like that !
Now that's something that is completely fitting with the ambient madness of the game, i like it :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 23, 2019, 08:06:47 am »

One could also get a non-lethal stun weapon, stun a gal and throw her and some gear over. This however is will probably tank morale and freshness.

And take an unknown number of turns for her to wake up.

As i fortunately don't play on ironman, i just reloaded and it gave me a more playable map for those tower capture. I'm trying to knockout people instead of killing or burning them to death/exploding them on that new run :D

I've heard shotguns with rubber bullets are good, but if they're anything like the dart guns (rifle or pistol), it's slow going. I like bikinis (or gym suits) and stun batons. Lets you run more because of the +energy regen. Once you've gotten reaction and melee trained (1-2 missions) and a bit of spare energy, enemies can only rarely shoot the direction they want to. You'll want real armor before enemies have plasma, but the tactics don't change much.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2019, 08:42:14 am »

Stun bullets take a couple of shots even on civilians, they are pretty good if you want to train firing as well. I recommend Lokks at night, and to use them to attack civilan ships you've downed. Usually just using a handle or a baton is better though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2019, 11:15:29 am »

Rubber slugs are significantly worse than darts against most things. Darts ignore 50% of armor. Rubber slugs... don't. 1-shot KOs aren't that unusual on low-level enemies with darts, but almost never happen with rubber. OTOH, if you're not terribly threatened by what you're fighting, that's a good thing as Rincewind said...

You'll want real armor before enemies have plasma, but the tactics don't change much.

Miserably, this can be month 3 or so if we include Reticulans. Fortunately, those will be optional outliers.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:17:27 am by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2019, 11:44:18 am »

I think that's mostly the sectogres, and maybe the little trash can things. Reticulans also have technicians, which are early-game enemies with shields.

Which reminds me: I accidentally killed a Reverend while trying to take down the shields.

Edit: Not only do they carry plasma weapons, they carry plasma weapons that we can actually use.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:54:04 am by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2019, 12:59:11 pm »

Isn't there some key combo that lets you turn while firing for automatic weapons (like chain guns) so you can try to gun down an entire swath at once? Can't seem to find it for the life of me though...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 153