Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241953 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1050 on: September 06, 2019, 01:13:26 pm »

A cattle prod is also 2-handed, doesn't allow a dodge, ignores 25% armor, and does the maximum damage a hammer can on a fully-trained gal right out of the gate.

In fairness to Cattle Prods, they're not 2-handed, they're 2-handed, and ignore 50% of armor, not 25%. They also ignore shock immunity, which hammers don't. However. They do not do comparable damage to Hammers. Prods do 70+0. Hammers do 60+Str. That's not Str*ANYTHING, it's just +Str. So max damage from a Hammer is like 140 on a hulking Gal. Hammers also ignore 20% of armor, which is less than prods, but... they do 125% HP damage and 125% Stun damage, while prods do 100% to both. So once you punch through the armor with a hammer, you do A LOT more damage towards both killing and stunning. Importantly, they also do 10% armor damage, so you'll be doing something like 4-15 points of armor stripping from a wimp with 20 Str to 7-21 points of armor stripping on a brute. If you want to capture things, the prod (which again can be wielded 1h if you need to) is far better, but if all you care about is making sure something stops shooting at you, a hammer makes a compelling case for itself.

isn't worth it, you only get a melee seduction attack, and it's blocked by armor. Might as well just taze them.
The Seductress, though, is great. Seduction is a voodoo power that can target anything in the gal's line of sight, and completely ignores armor, making it excellent against a lot of things that are just near immune to basic guns. It consumes a lot of energy, but you also get access to Good Touch, which restores energy at the cost of stun damage.

Wench has both Good and Bad Touch. While Bad Touch is subject to armor, it can still lay out e.g. Marsec Bodyguards. It's less reliable than Seduction, but it works. OTOH, Good Touch is 16 points of Stun that ignores armor. Three Good Touches from a pair of Wenches will lay out an Armored Gnome...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 06, 2019, 01:20:35 pm »

Good Touch can be used offensively??  Haha, that's awesome!  Still sucks that wenches can't run though to close the distance.  At least the reactions boost (from looking... well, being, harmless) helps with that.

And yeah the RNG for what factions you encounter can be pretty frustrating.  Particularly if you aren't much into interception, like I'm not.  I've always had faction bases start springing up long before encountering Star Gods, though.  Smash'n'grabbing a base just to get some marsec power armor sounds extreme, but whatever the RNG decrees I suppose.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 06, 2019, 01:50:55 pm »

In fairness to Cattle Prods, they're not 2-handed, they're 2-handed, and ignore 50% of armor, not 25%. They also ignore shock immunity, which hammers don't. However. They do not do comparable damage to Hammers. Prods do 70+0. Hammers do 60+Str. That's not Str*ANYTHING, it's just +Str.
[/quote]

I read it as .1*str, not 1*str. That's...a difference. Strength only maxes at 80 (with the normal ability to slightly go over the cap), but that's some nice extra damage.

I am drowning in Gauss Ammo, I already disassembled a few guns because I couldn't use them and I keep getting more. I'd love another gatling laser, but so far i have only the one I got from my very first smuggler ship. And I should really upgrade some more gauss into lasers/plasma spitters, but I also want to use up that ammo. :D

Also, I've never gotten a gauss weapon, which is slowing my progress on plasma stuff. I have a hostage with ~1/2 or 1/3 chance of teaching me about a gauss weapon, though.

And yeah the RNG for what factions you encounter can be pretty frustrating.  Particularly if you aren't much into interception, like I'm not.  I've always had faction bases start springing up long before encountering Star Gods, though.  Smash'n'grabbing a base just to get some marsec power armor sounds extreme, but whatever the RNG decrees I suppose.

I'd be more into interception if I had anything bigger than a 50mm cannon and a 2x25 mm cannon; spike missiles run out too fast. I am planning on hitting the base near me, hoping it's not just more academy. Suggestions on live capturing a provost if it is? Electric is too resisted, nothing else can get through 50 armor without potentially killing them. VooDoo? My bugeyes are 70 (stat)/75 skill and 75/75, but that's going to take some effort to get safely close enough.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 06, 2019, 02:14:18 pm »

Fire damae. Fire till she panics. You have to get rid of the shield first though.

Ok, I just looked and she just takes 20% burn damage, I think that still applies to the 5 damage that ignores armor from molotovs.
I am pretty sure I managed to panic a guildmaster that was attacking my base with fire once. It probably helped that he was the last person alive/conscious.

Sooo, do you have anything that strips armor? Chem ammo? Maybe a mind probe to look how she's faring?
Both Guildmaster and Provost have blue shields, if you manage to damage the armor enough you can attack with daze, because that ignores the shield, so you don't have to shoot that down again.
Once the shield is down you could also try the gothic raygun, or even krugers/MPGs if you have some. To bring the armor down. Just keep checking if she bleeds.
Seductress would work nicely, of course, but I take it that is not an option (yet)?

Bugeyes to panic her should work as well, if you can save her for last it shouldn't be too difficult to bring them to an adjacent room. Maybe you can control a hapless osiron guy or so as well that can try to hurt the boss or at least serve as distraction. Of course, other than that you basically bring to non combattants, what ship are you using? Can you affort two spaces for them?

-----------------

I might cheat myself a necropirate in my storage. I don't know if they can even show up in 2604, and I need one for more zombie research.
In my defence, they were introduced long after I started the game.

With gauss ammo I actually meant the craft ammo. Though I think I have plenty of the regular one as well, as I only use the sniper gauss, I prefer other weapons.

How's your radar coverage? Some ships that carry proper craft weapons usually land, depending on mission.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 06, 2019, 02:16:36 pm »

I'd be more into interception if I had anything bigger than a 50mm cannon and a 2x25 mm cannon; spike missiles run out too fast.

Remember that you can have multiple (up to 4?) craft engage a target at once. Earlier on I find an extra couple of airspeeders armed with spike rockets (or, if you have the money, seagulls) can be a nice force multiplier.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 06, 2019, 02:40:07 pm »

Sooo, do you have anything that strips armor? Chem ammo? Maybe a mind probe to look how she's faring?

The only ghouls I've seen were in a mutant pogram with ratlings and armored cars. No chem weapons. I remember that shotguns lower armor? Maybe rotoguns?

Bugeyes to panic her should work as well, if you can save her for last it shouldn't be too difficult to bring them to an adjacent room. Maybe you can control a hapless osiron guy or so as well that can try to hurt the boss or at least serve as distraction. Of course, other than that you basically bring to non combattants, what ship are you using? Can you affort two spaces for them?

Curently Shadowbat, but I'll have the Fortuna built in a few days. Once I finish this terrible mutant pogrom with flying enemies. Glad I brought swords to deal with the Waspites and Star God Guardians.
2 space is way too much for the 9 passenger shadowbat for most missions, but it should be fine in the Fortuna.

How's your radar coverage? Some ships that carry proper craft weapons usually land, depending on mission.

I'm up to 3 or 4 hyperwave decoders. I've caught some reticulans and a lot of academy that way. I think a recent church vehicle in a climate I wasn't dressed for that also had a Chryssalid. I captured about half the crew and got out.

I'd be more into interception if I had anything bigger than a 50mm cannon and a 2x25 mm cannon; spike missiles run out too fast.

Remember that you can have multiple (up to 4?) craft engage a target at once. Earlier on I find an extra couple of airspeeders armed with spike rockets (or, if you have the money, seagulls) can be a nice force multiplier.

Might be a good thought. The only ships I've had trouble with so far have been medium/large or small fighters with shields. Couple of airspeeders might help with that. I'm not sure if I have seagulls yet or not.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 06, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »

Shotguns don't lower armor. Unless you use chem ammo. ;) Though they are pretty good against shields (blue ones only take 25% damage from piercing though).
Plasma and any piercing with 60+ base damage like PS Ammo for the LACC/Light Cannon can strip. That is why I mentioned the raygun and Krugers/MPGs.
(I haven't had to use Krugers this game, but they have a special place in my heart because I once held a base against mercs with a few of them.)
Vials of Acid, though those are really not very good. Chem grenades, but they aren't very good either. That is a lot of inventory space and time units for a few points of armor damage.

But you don't need ghouls for chemic munitions. Cannonball o'Acid and Chem grenade, smg and shotgun summary, firearms&munitions and aqua plastics.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 06, 2019, 08:08:40 pm »

Beside chem shotgun shells, mammoth shotguns lower armor. Mammoth shotguns are also a dream for obliterating shields because of how many hits they score. They're expensive and heavy and their drums cost a lot, but they're really nice in a surprising number of situations over a long period of time.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 06, 2019, 09:22:08 pm »

So, with early-game tech (as good as self-charging lasers, sudoko swords, and maybe a hammer and chainsaw) how do I take down sectopods? Because I'm fighting sectopods with this. Black powder bombs are incapable of hurting them, even if I get through the shield. I've got maybe a 18 molotovs if everyone hits, reloads in the ship, and hits a second time. And the shields are down. And it's a pogrom, so I'd rather not just run.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 06, 2019, 09:39:47 pm »

Sectopods are late-game beasts.  From what I hear you want to blast down their extraordinarily powerful shields with shotguns (might be blue shields so piercing is relatively weak, but still) then uhhh I guess chew into them with the strongest melee gals you've got.

Wouldn't that be a Star God pogrom?  Frick, I've fled pogroms over armored cars, I would get the hell out of there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 06, 2019, 09:47:45 pm »

Sectopods are late-game beasts.  From what I hear you want to blast down their extraordinarily powerful shields with shotguns (might be blue shields so piercing is relatively weak, but still) then uhhh I guess chew into them with the strongest melee gals you've got.

Wouldn't that be a Star God pogrom?  Frick, I've fled pogroms over armored cars, I would get the hell out of there.

I found it several turns in. I'm hoping someone lives to tell the tale. Yeah, Star God pogrom is the...maybe second pogrom I've been on this run? First required one. I've been considering re-starting this run anyway.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 07, 2019, 01:37:46 am »

So, with early-game tech (as good as self-charging lasers, sudoko swords, and maybe a hammer and chainsaw) how do I take down sectopods?
You don't. If there ever was a time to just run away, this is it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 07, 2019, 01:52:22 am »

Soadreqm is correct.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 07, 2019, 07:46:22 am »

Failing one or two required pogroms isn't that big of an issue. You aren't expected to win every mission. And fleeing is always preferable to a wipe.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:48:33 am by amjh »
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 07, 2019, 09:10:42 am »

What they all said. Also, to the extent it's possible, taking out a couple of enemies, picking up some loot/researchables, then hauling it out and escaping can be a good outcome. (There's even an in-game tooltip suggesting as much.) You need two months in a row below -5000 to get the boot, so a bad month here and there isn't a big deal. Or, if you'd rather not deal with that mechanic, it's pretty easy to mod the score minimum to something so low it's no longer a threat.

Furthermore, from what I've seen the score hit to a fled pogrom is usually less than avoiding the mission altogether.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 153