Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 242123 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #795 on: August 02, 2019, 10:23:55 am »

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I didn't have WP or vibro blades (still don't on that latter one) when I was encountering 'em; guess I was focusing on the wrong tech tree work. I do have mortars and heavy ordnance now, which does help some.

On fire, how do the damage mechanics work there? Many of the fire weapons (e.g. flamethrowers) have pretty low damage values... are those only useful against unarmored enemies?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 02, 2019, 10:43:05 am »

You can always just retreat from the zombies as well.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 02, 2019, 10:50:37 am »

I retreated from zombies every time I saw them early on after my first run-in. That's a totally legitimate observation.

I'm not great with understanding fire mechanics, but some of the descriptions of WP suggest most of normal fire's damage comes from the continued burning, not the initial hit.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 02, 2019, 12:07:21 pm »

I'd really prefer having 1 bootypedia (or wiki) article on what each damage type actually does instead of having one for fire and one for electricity.

I think fire ignores armor completely, and usually does more damage over time from being on fire, and extra damage from continuing to stand in the fire because being on fire made you insane. Plus, it's mostly grenades, so it's an area of effect attack as well.

The morale hit means even if they live, they're usually out of play for a bit. It can also force a surrender (good for captures). Which is good, because I usually save fire for tougher enemies, who I want to capture to interrogate (or who are reapers, which I can dissassemble).

Oh, and I had a fun base defense yesterday. I have a row of barracks and vaults below the hangars like normal, and also a row of the same and the airlock behind (north side of) the hangars. The academy hover drones are a lot less threatening when you walk out of the 3rd floor sniper spot right behind them and hit them with a stun rod. Plus, I have academy drones to research and disassemble now.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 02, 2019, 01:01:18 pm »

In my experience, fire is pretty useful against most low-to-mid level enemies. It does damage over time, and causes extra morale damage. A lot of high-level enemies are resistant, or have such high bravery that being set on fire isn't going to faze them much, but regular mooks are going to panic and then die.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 02, 2019, 02:17:20 pm »

Seems like there were just a few research topics I didn't think were important that ultimately were quite important - lots of new options opening up now, even if it's not the sort of tech upgrades I was expecting.

Which is good. This really is an excellent total conversion, even if some of the aesthetic isn't quite my cup of tea.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 03, 2019, 09:26:19 pm »

So I'm in a capture the mage mission, and it apparently changed (last time I did one, I was able to fight off a bunch of guys in suits maybe, and then the mission ended with everyone on their side sleeping). I knocked out the mage on round one, and then slowly climbed the tower. The tower is empty, the surrounding buildings are empty, and I can't enter the ship. What do I need to do?

Seems like there were just a few research topics I didn't think were important that ultimately were quite important - lots of new options opening up now, even if it's not the sort of tech upgrades I was expecting.

Hit Q on the world map (or right click or maybe center click a choice in the research new menu) to get a list of what each tech needs, and leads to. It's easiest to base it on the thing you want.

Which is good. This really is an excellent total conversion, even if some of the aesthetic isn't quite my cup of tea.

The constant anime titties? Yeah, the game would be better without that.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 03, 2019, 10:02:33 pm »

So I'm in a capture the mage mission, and it apparently changed (last time I did one, I was able to fight off a bunch of guys in suits maybe, and then the mission ended with everyone on their side sleeping). I knocked out the mage on round one, and then slowly climbed the tower. The tower is empty, the surrounding buildings are empty, and I can't enter the ship. What do I need to do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found the Tohsaka cosplay particularly jarring... kind of wish there was standardization in art style though. Or at least standardization within the same major research thread, type, etc. so there was theme.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 03, 2019, 11:00:06 pm »

Dammit. Time to relay that hammer up the tower. Thank you.

kind of wish there was standardization in art style though. Or at least standardization within the same major research thread, type, etc. so there was theme.

I recognized some stuff from Disgaea, and the Shadowrun 4th edition Arsenal cover. I'm assuming the theme is "shit Dioxine found on Internet."

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 04, 2019, 12:23:56 am »

Hit Q on the world map (or right click or maybe center click a choice in the research new menu) to get a list of what each tech needs, and leads to. It's easiest to base it on the thing you want.

Yep, aware of that but trying to avoid it. I'm finding a (relatively) 'blind' run to be quite interesting, albeit with some speed bumps.

Yes, yes it would. I've taken to swapping out a few of the more common screens (e.g. the 'hidden movement' one) to something less silly.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 04, 2019, 03:12:46 am »

I've hit a bit of a snag. I get a base assault, and if I order my base defences to fire, I instantly get a second base assault. If I use base defences again, the game crashes.
If I select "Let them in" on the second base assault, and fight off all the invaders (it's a bunch of ratmen with plasma weapons), I get a third base assault. Again, the game crashes if I use my base defences.
I don't want to fight infinite ratman waves forever. Is there a way I can fix it myself, or should I just contact the developer?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:26:45 am by Soadreqm »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 04, 2019, 03:51:53 am »

You could try turning on debug mode and kill them all a few times to see if it keeps happening all the way down, or if it stops after a few waves (And if it stops, load back and fight them legit, if you want.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 04, 2019, 08:02:25 am »

Actually, I looked at the save files again, and the game actually did a successful geoscape autosave after the base assault I fought, and I can reload that and it'll work. Loading a save from within the base assault and finishing the fight also works. It only reliably breaks when I load the save I made before the base assault.
I still feel like I should maybe leave a bug report somewhere, but I don't want to make a forum account just for that.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 04, 2019, 07:44:09 pm »

it's a bunch of ratmen with plasma weapons

I also don't think that's supposed to happen.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 04, 2019, 08:54:30 pm »

if you have a discord account there's a channel for bug reports in the x-piratez discord.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 153