Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 242086 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #765 on: July 31, 2019, 02:38:07 am »

Not all of them, I think it needs a certain intelligence to know you have been beaten. Dark Ones, Chryssalids, Zombies and some more never give up.
What you can do though is collect the sleepers in one place and have a few gals on protection duty.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 31, 2019, 09:21:05 am »

Not all of them, I think it needs a certain intelligence to know you have been beaten. Dark Ones, Chryssalids, Zombies and some more never give up.
What you can do though is collect the sleepers in one place and have a few gals on protection duty.

Also, werewolves and I think ghouls. Luckily, werewolves are tough enough (and small enough numbers) that you can keep them down by bleeding them while they're down. They might still get up again if you take too long.

There are a lot of ghouls and they hide, so you might actually want to pile them up. They (and dark ones) are a lot less trouble to deal with once they get KO and lose their weapons.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 31, 2019, 11:51:02 am »

This is certainly something, but I have no idea what.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 31, 2019, 12:00:49 pm »

Ooh I've only seen those with hyperwave.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Faction (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 31, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »

All factions that don't use a ship for terror attacks use the "signal" instead.

I know that ghouls surrender, I've captures dozens of them like that.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 31, 2019, 12:07:08 pm »

This is certainly something, but I have no idea what.

Base defense incoming. I have heard the speed is to prevent us shooting them down, for reasons.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 31, 2019, 12:16:21 pm »

All factions that don't use a ship for terror attacks use the "signal" instead.
Can confirm. It was ratmen.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 31, 2019, 12:40:38 pm »

Base defense incoming. I have heard the speed is to prevent us shooting them down, for reasons.

It's kludgy, but it makes sense. AA guns would be markedly less useful against overland assaults, and and overloading nav systems not at all.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 31, 2019, 01:10:51 pm »

It's kludgy, but it makes sense. AA guns would be markedly less useful against overland assaults, and and overloading nav systems not at all.

Except base defenses seem like they're pretty much AA guns (moreso in vanilla, but). It's fighter craft that can't shoot people. Although, like you said, it's a kludge.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:46 pm »

Some pogroms start like that and sometimes they don't do anything.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 31, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »

Except base defenses seem like they're pretty much AA guns (moreso in vanilla, but). It's fighter craft that can't shoot people. Although, like you said, it's a kludge.

Well, pointedly Overloaded Radar gives you a decent, early AA attack which is described as being ECM. It would be really weird if THAT worked against low-tech troops shuffling in overland.

The ideal would be if the engine handled tagging enemy crafts similar to how it tags your crafts, and then made it possible for you to have base defenses (or craft weapons) that are only effective against certain tagged craft. There's really not room for this in the UI even if the OXCom devs added it, though. Pity, as it'd make it possible for a modder to add some sort of perimeter control facility that established mine fields, sentry guns, etc. that'd be worthless against air but good against land or such. Probably not enough utility for the functionality gain even if there was a way to shoehorn the categories into the existing UI (which could just be a description, I suppose; it's not like personal shields have UI elements dedicated to them).

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 01, 2019, 02:29:40 am »

So those Eurosyndicate missions everyone's complaining about start with the research "*EuroSyndicate Deal*", not with "Contacts: EuroSyndicate", right? They sound awful and I don't want to deal with them.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 01, 2019, 04:22:29 am »

So those Eurosyndicate missions everyone's complaining about start with the research "*EuroSyndicate Deal*", not with "Contacts: EuroSyndicate", right? They sound awful and I don't want to deal with them.

Yep. The deal basically gives you access to really expensive, really good laser(?) weapons, really early, but in return you have to deal with the EuroSyndicate missions (which basically give nothing other than 1.25m... even the hostages are practically worthless). Or ignore them, which is worth -1500(?) score.

Edit: In hindsight, I think I might be mixing up the score penalty with skipping pogroms. But don't forget you're likely to end up with like -500 from doing the mission itself anyways.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:21:57 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 01, 2019, 05:55:27 am »

In the end i think i would still get the deal for the weapons if you don't have yet access to easily acquirable lasers, those eurosyndicate versions of the lasers are in their stats very good.
The -1500 score can be managed by doing more mission (and shooting down enemy UFO and assault their crashed ships) to get better score, thanks to the good lasers :)

Though i still don't understand why i noticed several times already neophyte surviving 2 direct hits and being killed only on the 3rd shot from a powerful eurosyndicate markslaser ( 55 laser damage) when i saw several time an enforcer getting one shot killed by the same weapons.

As a markslaser is a type of sniper rifle, i don't think some kind of long range damage drop can explain that (considering said killed enforcers were really far and several of those neophyte were much closer, most of the time only 5/6 tiles away) , any idea ?
(the neophyte situation happened too many time for me to just be a fluke, i think there's a game mechanic i am missing there)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:17:48 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 01, 2019, 07:46:27 am »

Though i still don't understand why i noticed several times already neophyte surviving 2 direct hits and being killed only on the 3rd shot from a powerful eurosyndicate markslaser ( 55 laser damage) when i saw several time an enforcer getting one shot killed by the same weapons.

As a markslaser is a type of sniper rifle, i don't think some kind of long range damage drop can explain that (considering said killed enforcers were really far and several of those neophyte were much closer, most of the time only 5/6 tiles away) , any idea ?
(the neophyte situation happened too many time for me to just be a fluke, i think there's a game mechanic i am missing there)

All of the church units are resistant to laser, because of the force circuitry.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 153