Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 242085 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #750 on: July 30, 2019, 06:04:13 am »

Man despite the AI is so uselessly hopeless, it sure still does a great job at screwing up your perfectly defended corner of the map with huge night vision + most ammo putting fire to nearly everything that light up the whole area.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 30, 2019, 06:18:34 am »

Go by day ... you are much better at using the long sight ranges and using cover than the AI.

Edit: And if you go by night: you are much better at lighting up the map as well, because you can shoot an arrow in the general direction of where you saw something, or just where something might be.

By now, if I have to go at night, I just set part of the map on fire with my rod of hellfire gal. But that is doable with flame arrows and molotows as well.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:23:36 am by Rince Wind »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 30, 2019, 07:04:17 am »

I was thinking, as i was just having fun using it in a warehouse wars mission,  imagine if the AI could actually use mortars the way you can.
multi-turns maphack + mortar ... the horror :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 30, 2019, 09:24:34 am »

Leather whips aren't good against armor. But against basic enemies (anything below guild security, academy medic, etc.) they're ranged KO damage, and morale damage. Very nice weapons early on: if you don't take them down, they'll probably cancel attack: too insane. And you appear to be able to hit KO'ed units with it, unlike most melee weapons (hammer is probably the same, but lethal).

Also, a single molotov when you see 3 spartans huddled up. All 3 failed their morale check, and luckily didn't go berserk with a grenade launcher (one or two had them). The next turn, a shock rod convinced them the fight was over (except the one other grenadier we had to hunt).

I also think bughunt mode is dumb. I've only ever gotten it once on a map that wasn't a watchtower (where I get bughunt mode 50% of the time while waddling up to the "robot" with a sledgehammer, and maybe take my time to train bravery a bit while it's safe).

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22:43 am »

I was thinking, as i was just having fun using it in a warehouse wars mission,  imagine if the AI could actually use mortars the way you can.
multi-turns maphack + mortar ... the horror :D

I kind of had that in supply ship raids. I guess the AI is more prone to do it here because the launcher doesn't require as many time units.

It is also one of those missions for which I keep a ship with doors around. (The Deliverator in my case, I also have a Drakkar and a ... whatever the mining ship is called on other bases.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 30, 2019, 10:44:33 am »

Everytime i spot some guys with a launcher my gals are immediately throwing grenades and take cover, not shooting because i noticed that weirdly some civilians manage sometime to resist 2 direct hits from a damned eurosyndicate markslaser, so grenade is for taking no chances of the launcher guy to retaliate, just explode them with several grenade even if it's overkill :D

I also think bughunt mode is dumb. I've only ever gotten it once on a map that wasn't a watchtower (where I get bughunt mode 50% of the time while waddling up to the "robot" with a sledgehammer, and maybe take my time to train bravery a bit while it's safe).
Try that :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135455.msg7966234;topicseen#msg7966234
It's what i use and the bughunt trigger a very lot more consistently , making the worst convulated silly map design (where finding the last couple of enemies is an extremely boring task) a lot more bearable.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 30, 2019, 12:40:01 pm »

There are a lot of bigger crowded maps where an enemy can get behind you into an area you already thought you cleared and then wander back and forth there for 20 turns. Bughunt for those is a wonder.

I'm confused why you'd smack an exploding robot with a sledgehammer. It's relatively vulnerable to small arms fire, and if you're lugging up a sledge, you can just ignore the exploder and crack a wall instead...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 30, 2019, 12:45:39 pm »

Have you ever tried hammering the robot? If you had you would know that it doesn't harm anyone. If there is any damage associated with that explosion at all it is limited to that tile.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 30, 2019, 12:47:38 pm »

There are a lot of bigger crowded maps where an enemy can get behind you into an area you already thought you cleared and then wander back and forth there for 20 turns. Bughunt for those is a wonder.

Yes, I've had that happen many times. I should have clarified that my complaint was that it doesn't ever seem to trigger in those situations. If it was a percentage of enemies remaining, it would work better for its intended purpose.

I'm confused why you'd smack an exploding robot with a sledgehammer. It's relatively vulnerable to small arms fire, and if you're lugging up a sledge, you can just ignore the exploder and crack a wall instead...

Eh, less ammo and more consistency. I've also had bad luck with using small arms fire a few times, and have yet to see the hammer fail. I haven't tried to break down anything other than wooden/house walls or the brick in the rat infestation.

Have you ever tried hammering the robot? If you had you would know that it doesn't harm anyone. If there is any damage associated with that explosion at all it is limited to that tile.

Also, what Rince Wind said. The explosion worried me the first few times, until I noticed nobody ever got hurt.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 30, 2019, 02:27:11 pm »

Fair enough. The description made me bring a hammer and open a wall (which is often better for breaching anyway - e.g. for Warehouse Wars I almost always try to come in from the back or side unless I totally outlevel the mission) w/o hurting it the first couple of times I did those, then I saw it blow up and started shooting it. I've never once been in range when it blew up.

Unrelatedly:
Spoiler: Bedroom eyes (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 30, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »

Heh I always assumed it was deadly too, being an explosion and all.  And I think a while back I asked the Discord and they recommended using black powder bombs.  I think I tried shooting it but got unlucky.

Also I didn't realize or forgot that Seductress is ranged, nice.  I brought a Wench for a little while for the novelty but it's kinda suicidal.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 30, 2019, 03:42:12 pm »

Seductress is brilliant against mercs and bodyguards as well. The hovertanks ... not so much. :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 30, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »

Seductress is brilliant against mercs and bodyguards as well. The hovertanks ... not so much. :D

Sounds like it works off VooDoo, then. I think those units are known for their weakness to VooDoo (and hovertanks known for being immune).

e.g. for Warehouse Wars I almost always try to come in from the back or side unless I totally outlevel the mission) w/o hurting it the first couple of times I did those, then I saw it blow up and started shooting it. I've never once been in range when it blew up.

I haven't tried anything other than the front. The little out-buildings provide enough cover that you can fill the entryway with 4 gals (2 kneeling in front, 2 ready to fire in back) with some TUs saved for reaction fire. Next turn, run in and stun rod anyone I see.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 30, 2019, 11:31:56 pm »

Also I didn't realize or forgot that Seductress is ranged, nice.  I brought a Wench for a little while for the novelty but it's kinda suicidal.

Wench only has Bad/Good Touch; Seductress has a Voodoo-based special attack in addition to the Touches. It's pretty good against most unarmored units, though I found it lacking later on... a quick axe to the head is more effective at eliminating threats, though it makes for lousy loot. (And, more importantly, prevents the ridiculously annoying situation of people waking up, forcing you to clear the map over and over.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 31, 2019, 12:24:15 am »

a quick axe to the head is more effective at eliminating threats, though it makes for lousy loot. (And, more importantly, prevents the ridiculously annoying situation of people waking up, forcing you to clear the map over and over.)
Don't enemies always surrender, after they've been knocked out once?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 153