Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241602 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2019, 11:56:25 am »

I don't remember in the past needing such  a "guild stapler" either, so maybe it's a recent research blocker addition.
Hopefully i'll get one soon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2019, 12:08:53 pm »

Yeah the stapler was added very recently, I think in J14 as a gating thing.

A ninja gal or raider scout does lead to Arm Wrestling, but I don't think that's necessary for persuasion?  Just "Claim Young Uber" according to the tech tree, and IIRC I was really late to unlock Arm Wrestling because it also requires having Chateau de la Mort in inventory.  I think.  Either way, bandits have remained very common in my game.

I engaged a heavy freighter with a Snake and Fortuna, but couldn't bring it down.  I think I got a lot of hits after its shields went down, though, so maybe I was close.  Next time...  (Sucks that Secure Freight data can't be gotten from interrogations, but eh, forces me to learn the air combat weapons).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2019, 02:27:16 pm »

Currently stuck during a pogrom mission.  There's a tank and it's clearly impervious to bullets and molotovs don't seem to be slowing it down. Is my only hope getting grenades off of fallen enemies?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 26, 2019, 03:49:09 pm »

It's normal to skip the first pogrom, they don't have a massive penalty like in vanilla (until you forge a certain alliance).

The cars are armored AF, and deadly. Even dynamite is iffy, it takes a few. Fortunately they're semi-rare even on pogroms. Weapons which strip armor (armor pre-damage) work in sufficient amounts, but you don't have those. I'd run, if massed frag grenade don't do it.

Running from certain enemies is intended gameplay, though I also save before each battle. A lot of missions have... gimmicks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 26, 2019, 03:52:04 pm »

In the end I managed to get 5/6 of my peasants back into the ship and fled. Net loss of loot, but they all got some kill experience so I guess there's that. I've been semi-save-scumming-- restoring from catastrophic ship loss etc, but taking a few deaths as part of the natural learning curve.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2019, 03:56:26 am »

I have researched and built workshops and used the codex without any 'guild stapler'.

Looking, I'm playing v.j12, so I'm a version behind. I guess I can't migrate my save to the latest version? I don't really want to start a new game.

Migrating is no problem. There is a thread on the piratez forum that Dioxin posts in if something special is needed to migrate.
If you copy your options.cfg as well you don't even have to configure open xcom again.

For armoured cars: tech to Contacts: krazy Hanna so you can buy Panzerfausts.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2019, 07:53:01 am »

Re: Upgrading saves

It's generally safe to upgrade saves. You might run into a few bugs with mission spawning. If you go to a specific mission and it crashes or does something weird, reload the save, don't do that mission. Since the missions are all decided at the beginning of the month, you can have some that still want to spawn with old data if you upgrade mid-month and that can cause problems. But if you just ignore those missions that give you trouble, it should be fine. Just be sure your game score is in a good enough place you can afford to miss a mission or two.

I've had games span 2 years worth of updates that only have minor hiccups here and there.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2019, 12:17:22 pm »

Mutant pogroms have a high chance of having a young uber civilian, and they come with you if they survive. Try to locate and protect them.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2019, 12:51:06 pm »

I am wondering, as it's something i never tried , is attrition possible when dealing with enemy bases.
I mean you launch an assault, kill a couple of enemies, then get the hell out of there back into the safety/rearming/healing of your own base, then come back later to finish the job, or retreat again temporarly after killing a few more.

Will the base defenders respawn or are your kill/capture in previous assault actually mattering and each further assault will face less and less defenders ?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2019, 01:15:52 pm »

I don’t think XCom handles that sort of play against the AI. I’m pretty sure each attack faces a full compliment of enemies.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2019, 03:50:21 pm »

Too bad, this kind of guerilla tactic would fit very well with the x-piratez setting.

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2019, 04:04:14 pm »

if not mentioned yet, grab the final mod pack from https://openxcom.mod.io/final-mod-pack . you have to use the latest nightly build of open xcom, that's fine. its intended to keep the game in the vanilla spirit. don't forget to check through all settings first, you have to enable some features.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2019, 12:20:58 am »

Too bad, this kind of guerilla tactic would fit very well with the x-piratez setting.

enemies will respawn, but so will loot, this was a viable tactic in vanilla as well as piratez... go in, grab a few captures, grab convenient loot, get out. Do it right and you can potentially break even or even do better than the score you lose by letting the base linger. it's also a pain in the butt as you have to carry everything back to the exit manually... so while it's viable, it's probably only worth your time if you need a lot of something that's otherwise hard to obtain. (In vanilla it was generally elerium from the base power plants.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 28, 2019, 05:55:17 am »

Of course, in vanilla, it was generally more profitable to raid the supply ships rather than attack the base itself repeatedly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2019, 06:01:19 am »

I've hit upon a strategy in the missions where I have most of my team spread out through the map as spotters and one gal with a hunting bow raining down four fire arrows a turn anywhere with open sky. Unlike everyone else, she rarely gets injured because she doesn't ever have to be in direct line of sight of any enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 153