Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241534 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »

Commanders can be nearly any alien race.

This isn't nucom, not every alien you see is the same.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »

This isn't nucom, not every alien you see is the same.
Wildly different. Sometimes you meet a sectoid with the reflexes of Muhamad Ali and the accuracy of Viatcheslav Botchkarev. Other times it's the other way around.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »

Every base and battleship has a Commander on.
They won't look any different, though they'll probably be carrying a blaster bomb launcher.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2015, 05:41:44 pm »

Yea. I'm stuck too. I need psionics, and there no sectiod bases ands sectiods have stopped showing up. I do have etherals. I just need to hunker down, and just storm a supply ship with only small launchers and just stun the whole lot.

And maybe I terribly rusty but man, I am suffering 50% causality on almost every mission. Its to the point where I wont bother with small, and plus scouts, as its not worth the points and still get the same number of causality. (makes it a pain to keep enough flying suits around)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2015, 06:37:16 pm »

Researching any live Ethereal will give you psionics. A supply ship won't have a commander on it, but raiding supply ships on their regular landings is a good way to build up points and resources - exceeding the points lost by the base's presence.

When you go on a mission against psionics, write down if someone is disproportionally target by psionics. When your hyperwave decoder picks up ethereal missions, send your psi-dump in unarmed and leave them to be controlled/panic in the skyranger.

Troops are disposable. For unimportant missions, send rookies with personal or no armour. The money from selling a single heavy plasma covers several rookies' hiring costs, so don't be afraid to spend their lives. Use the survivors from these to build up a team of more hardened soldiers, but remember they too are disposable - just less so. A rookie alien 1:1 cost is, for most missions, perfectly acceptable. Build up your flying suit reserves for the people that matter.

I will admit, I'm not quite sure how you're racking up such causalities. I'm all for soviet wave tactics, but I am wondering how you have quite so many losses on easier missions.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2015, 06:58:01 pm »

Yea, thats right, supply ships will only have leaders.

I'm currently raiding a landed Battleship. Manage to snag it with an Avenger. Really wish I had blasters to make my own entrance.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:30 am »

For the larger ships, my veteran flying teams do spetznaz-style aerial insertions, dropping down (explosions aren't multilevel) through the craters left by blaster-bombs (Through which the /other/ rookie with a blaster launcher has put the *second* bomb through. Fucking sectopods killin' mah colonel)
and squeezing the aliens onto the middle level whilst a horde gets tactical on the ground floor.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2015, 03:45:13 am »

I have recently installed Piratez and have this problem with a lot of labels having STR at the front and being all-caps.  Has anyone had this before and have any ideas on how to fix?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2015, 07:36:24 am »

Make sure you're using X-Piratez (that's piratez extended) , the original Piratez is not developped anymore, the dev focus is on X-Piratez .
To install correctly :
Code: [Select]
HOW DO I INSTALL THIS MOD?
- Unpack the mod. It will create a complete Openxcom_XPiratez folder with all the files that you need; it will contain the correct nightly version and Yankes's custom exe named "Openxcom Extended".
- Copy files from your original "UFO: Enemy Unknown"/"X-Com: UFO Defense" folder to the "OpenXcom_XPiratez/UFO" folder.
- Use OpenXcomEx.exe to run the game.
- Choose "Piratez" as the master mod from the Game Options menu.
- Includes two sub-mods: helmetless/maskless armor paperdoll variants made by Roxis231

WHAT OPENXCOM OPTIONS SHOULD I ENABLE?

Crucial Options (the mod is crap without them):
- Spend Research Items (there are many items in this mod that can be researched repeatedly, so not enabling it is a straight cheat)
- UFO Extender Accuracy (all the weapons are balanced with this in mind)
- Live Alien Sale (releasing people for ransom is an important part of the game)
- Explosion Height: 2 (realistic explosions are very important too)

Recommended (Play-as-intended) OpenXcom options:
- Storage Limits For Recovered Items (for items and prisoners; realistic mode, forces decisions)
- Force Craft Launch (pirates rarely have the luxury of having armed, undamaged and fully-fueled craft... much less all at the same time!)
- Airborne Transfers (make more sense)
- Inventory Stats (crucial for keeping track of your encumbrance!)
- Alternate Movement Methods (because they're more in line with the adventurous approach to the theme)
- Alien Bleeding (to make it a bit easier to play... but harder to catch enemies alive. Plus they're mostly humans, they should bleed.)

NOT recommended OpenXcom options:
- Instant Grenades [You can throw multiple grenades in this mod and they won't destroy eache other]
- Alien Weapon Self-Destruction [unless you never want to have top-tier guns]

Make sure you're launching X-Piratez with OpenXcomEx.exe , not OpenXcom.exe
X-Piratez has only english(us) language supported, so in case you're using a different language, change it to english(us) in the options (not other kind of english) to avoid some problems (that i suspect is what gives your the STR and all caps item names)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:39:24 am by Robsoie »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:05 am »

X-Piratez has only english(us) language supported
I'm not at home right now, so I can't check. However I'm pretty sure the game runs on it's own language ("pirate" or whatever) and all the others will have missing strings. I remember switching it to another English (90% sure) and getting that,
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:37 pm »

bleh, overuse of the word realism. Should really just say, "This is how I assume this works".

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2015, 02:47:55 am »

@a1s: Aaaar, yer oarsome, mehearty, that be it, aye.....

{started up in En, needed to be in English-US}
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:55 pm »

Just pulled out my old X-COM disk to install OpenX-com, and realized that said disk is over twenty years old.  Still works very nicely tho'.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2015, 03:15:09 pm »

TERROR FROM THE DEEP NOW AVAIABLE FROM THE NIGHTLIES  YES YES YES

http://openxcom.org/2015/08/terror-from-the-deep-now-available-in-the-nightlies/

And this is the best news I've gotten in the last 2 weeks. (Barring the acceptance of a brief publication by yours truly on frozen plasma)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2015, 04:47:01 pm »

Probably a little off topic, but tell us what journal it's in when you're allowed to. And are we talking blood plasma, or physicsy plasma? (because the second one seems to be a contradiction in anything I know about plasma).
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 153