Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241570 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2015, 08:22:53 pm »

Should I get this while XCOM is on sale for about five bucks? I may be wrong on the price, buuut I've been debating on whether to get it or not.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2015, 08:30:25 pm »

Notice that OpenXcom require files from the original XCom game for the graphics/sounds as unfortunately there's no fan/custom made files to make OpenXcom standalone and independant from the original game :
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2015, 08:36:01 pm »

Ah. Mainly my question was if I should grab XCOM for five bucks :P

However, when checking my prices after the post I saw the complete pack for fifteen. That a better deal for getting all of them? Apologies if it's an obvious answer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2015, 11:23:32 pm »

That really depends. If you like Apocalypse, it's a better-ish deal (because Enforcer and Interceptor usually don't factor into anything, but are still nominally games). If you just want UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep, the two games will cost less together than the pack.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:35 pm »

Get apoc, it's worth it for the destroyable cityscape alone.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2015, 12:14:54 am »

Alright. Seeing as I already own interceptor and apocalypse, I'll probably get TFTD and UFO Defense in the morning when I wake up :P

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2015, 02:08:14 am »

I'd take apoc instead of TFTD. Apoc is a fresh take while TFTD is mostly a rehash of the first game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:13 am »

Yeah. I'd just stick with UFO defense instead of that and TFTD. TFTD is really only good if you want more of the exact same XCOM, but a lot harder. You should probably only buy TFTD if you feel the hardest mode of UFO defense is too easy.

My opinion, of course.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2015, 03:08:52 am »

Some of us are eagerly waiting for opentftd. True, the engine is the same as ufo, but there are small bits that make it differ enough to be interesting. Plus, cthulhu mythos-com, man...
I think it'd work better as a standalone than as a sequel
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:36 am »

I'd get all of them. TFTD fixed some of the problems that UFO had, but introduced some of its own. It's a toss up which ou might prefer more. I personally like TFTD more.

Apoc is different. Its still a good game, its just very different to the others.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:53 am »

xcom1 is a classic there is no reason any serious gamer would not have that on a desert island usb drive with dosbox.  It's that good.  I think this is the only one openxcom works with.

xcom2 TFTD is xcom 1 rehashed.  Most everything is the same just different sprites.  But it's brutally hard.  Rumor is that the old xcom1 difficulty bug where it always got reset to beginner was not discovered by the time it was made and gamers complained that xcom1 was too easy.  So xcom2 on beginner is equivalent to xcom1 on superhuman.

xcom3 Apoc is in my opinion an improvement on xcom1 in most aspects.  Collapsing structures in the battlescape, more unit and weapon variety and even the ability to actively attack opposing corporations(which are like countries in xcom1).  Apoc has some downsides though, you are protecting one city, not the entire globe, alien ufos attack in waves so you have very long periods of time where nothing is happening and you KNOW nothing is happening, between periods of "Holy crap how am I supposed to deal with all this".  I personally feel it is better than xcom1 overall, but feels distinct enough to still want to play the first one about the same.  If open xcom worked with this I would not be seen outside my house for months.

and enforcer and interceptor I haven't played. But they both sucked by popular opinion.  In enforcer yer controlling one guy in powered armor the whole game, and interceptor is a space combat game.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:24:50 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2015, 11:17:05 am »

actively attack opposing corporations(which are like countries in xcom1).
Except they actually have their own stuff going on. Mostly involving hate of each other and love of their assets (cars/buildings/roads) which you accidentally destroy. This had the potential to be huge if brought to it's logical conclusion.

Apoc has some downsides though, you are protecting one city, not the entire globe
That actually made a lot of sense to me. X-com size and time frame didn't mesh with it being the sole global agency standing in the way of the alien apocalypse. (The aliens who can bring entire nations to their knees and poison the whole world are defeated by an organisation with barely 200 employees and a couple of dozen millions of dollars in annual budget? Bitch, please.)

alien ufos attack in waves so you have very long periods of time where nothing is happening
It's been a while since I played, but don't aliens in the first X-Com also come in Waves?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2015, 12:46:18 pm »

I cant find the android version anywhere, the download seems to be dead...
+1.
Does anyone know anything about this? (maybe an old version can be found?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »

alien ufos attack in waves so you have very long periods of time where nothing is happening
It's been a while since I played, but don't aliens in the first X-Com also come in Waves?
Actually, could be, I don't actually know 100%  But it never seemed like it to me because you would usually only see one or two at a time in your radar range while in Apoc you are basically omniscient when it comes to the airspace.  Yer not sending skyrangers out for added radar range or building bases just for radar coverage because yer worried yer missing ufos somewhere.  You see everything in the city. If you don't see a floating tumor flying above your city you know without a doubt that there are none.  No ambiguity.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2015, 03:10:40 pm »

My main problem with Apoc is how R&D works. You don't do that much of the typical XCOM reverse engineering. Instead, you mostly just wait for a sidegrade to become available for sale from one of the corporations. There is one "tier" of weapons/armor that you can research and develop, but it's only one tier and it's pretty lategame.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 153