Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241613 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2015, 03:43:30 am »

I want a mod that puts cows in the game, so I can use cows as cover.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2015, 03:47:43 am »

Cows are already in the game. I think. Harvester ships have some on operating tables, IIRC.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2015, 03:51:36 am »

Cows are already in the game. I think. Harvester ships have some on operating tables, IIRC.
I know that alien surgeries have mutilated cows on them, but I want living cows that walk around and go moo and get in the way and eat hay. And I should be graded on how many cows I save.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2015, 08:13:39 am »

The only tanks worth anything in this game are rocket-tanks, because they kasplode things even when they miss.

Sorta sucks that a few thousand scientist-hours + 1500 worker-hours was wasted on a plasma hovertank that can't hit anything, has MASSIVE TU costs, can't be repaired, and doesnt even move much further than the standard one
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:40 am »

The only tanks worth anything in this game are rocket-tanks, because they kasplode things even when they miss.

Sorta sucks that a few thousand scientist-hours + 1500 worker-hours was wasted on a plasma hovertank that can't hit anything, has MASSIVE TU costs, can't be repaired, and doesnt even move much further than the standard one
I hardly ever use any tanks at all anymore. They're hella expensive, they take space in the overstocked storage rooms, and take up even more space in the transport - and for all that they hardly have any practical uses. They're good for scouting and drawing fire, but they don't do anything special otherwise that couldn't be done by four regular rookies.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:18 am »

I hardly ever use any tanks at all anymore. They're hella expensive, they take space in the overstocked storage rooms, and take up even more space in the transport - and for all that they hardly have any practical uses. They're good for scouting and drawing fire, but they don't do anything special otherwise that couldn't be done by four regular rookies.

The only saving grace for them is large ammo capacity when compared to foot soldiers. Lots of rockets are good for clearing pesky cover and illuminating night battles. Even then this is only really early game, until you get decent armour and decent skills into some veterans.
This is a blank sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2015, 08:25:16 am »

I know that alien surgeries have mutilated cows on them, but I want living cows that walk around and go moo and get in the way and eat hay. And I should be graded on how many cows I save.

Well, just imagine the civilians in terrro missions as your mother, then, and there you go.

I'm joking, the aliums made me say it
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:02 am »

90 HP, 100TU, and the ability to fire large rockets twice a turn when stationary (from a 10-rocket clip) is always useful.

I just built a lightning, found out the tanks don't fit in it, shrugged, and loaded my Skyranger up with an all-tank team. They're actually super-effective against UFOs small enough they don't have to go in.

Also, I don't have veterans, because I can't remember their names, the difference in firing skills is pretty minor once the fresh meat have a mission or two, and EVERYTHING mullers anyone in a single hit, even in power armor.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2015, 11:27:30 am »

Ok i tried installing the final mod and/or piratez.
Failed spectacularly because even the instructions seem to not know what they are doing. I dound my open Xcom folder in my documents but there is no mods folder there.
Nor it is in the game folder.
And trying to install the nightly build causes the game to outright crash.

I have no clue what to do now.

I remember installing Piratez a year ago or so and it worked. but now?
Nope no cigar.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2015, 12:22:45 pm »

Piratez ex tended is the one you want now. It  comes with its own openxcom. Final mod pack needs a nightly build.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2015, 03:17:38 am »

Tanks are good for early armour vs plasma. 80-90 armour is good vs the 52/80/115 multiplied by anywhere between 0-2 (0%-200% damage range) of plasma weapons. Especially early on. That's pretty bitching armour.

But they're kind of shit. Four rookie troops can hold as many rockets, duck, fire 4 rockets a turn, throw smoke, and have virtually unlimited laser or plasma pistol shots. They also sometimes survive a a plasma round or two in personal armour. Which you stamp out by default early on.

Until you get decent amounts of power armour, in theory tanks are an advantage. But four raw rookies, without armour, toting a rocket launcher, a smoke grenade, and your best pistol is even more of an advantage. Add armour and it's a wash. Any good weapon, it doesn't have to be HE. Four sight lanes, more smoke, more TUS=good. Versatile. Even if you lose all four every mission, they're cheaper cash-wise (1/3rd the cash cost), and probably popped pre-primed smoke off their shoulder, even if they died pointlessly and immediately/unexpectedly. They still gained you more of an advantage than a tank could.

(this is in openXcom, where base stores = good x 10)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:20:04 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2015, 04:14:31 am »

I have a perplexing problem where I keep running out of base storage space within two months, even if I build a second storage on the base first thing when I start. This is despite minimal loot from UFOs, since I use the XCOM feature of weapons exploding unless their wielding alien is stunned (or panics and drops them), and me always selling all but 1 of most loot I get anyways (besides alloys and elerium) for research purposes. Something's not right in how I manage my base stores. :P

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2015, 06:22:08 am »

Hoarders : X-Com edition.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2015, 10:43:47 am »

It would be cool if someone made a War of the Worlds mod, with (steampunk?) tanks instead of soldiers, with switchable weapons, against alien tripods. Also with some red weed cleaning operation or somesuch.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2015, 11:05:59 am »

I have a perplexing problem where I keep running out of base storage space within two months, even if I build a second storage on the base first thing when I start. This is despite minimal loot from UFOs, since I use the XCOM feature of weapons exploding unless their wielding alien is stunned (or panics and drops them), and me always selling all but 1 of most loot I get anyways (besides alloys and elerium) for research purposes. Something's not right in how I manage my base stores. :P

I like to pretend it's the missiles for the interceptors that's doing it. But yeah, I build an extra one the moment I begin and another one as soon as the council pays me. If I can afford it (they really are cheap) I'll make two as soon as I start. At about 200 storage I start to feel comfortable with my loot pile and random bricabrack. It turns the whole decision making process off.

Most bases end up with about 150-200 storage actually. Stupid avalanche missiles......

(this is often despite the fact that plasma cannons have been researched and built and we don't actually own any avalanche missiles or launchers any more)
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 153