Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241683 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2015, 02:51:41 pm »

Yes. I believe you can grab all the classic games as a pack right now, because Apocalypse is also quite good. Enforcer and Interceptor, less so, but the pack is cheaper than UFO, TFTD, and Apoc combined anyway, so...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2015, 04:50:32 pm »

Wouldn't pre-primed grenades explode if carried, just as if they were primed normally? Or does "impact fuse" (0 time) not explode at all unless dropped/thrown?

Also, you should try some of the other quality-of-life improvements the game provides. Aliens not dropping loot unless stunned instead of killed. "Sneaky" AI. Accuracy degrading with range. If the game is too easy, there's always room to make it harder.

They explode when dropped/thrown or on the ground at the end of the turn (when primed for 0). You can still play hot potato with one, throwing it at the ground where another soldier is standing, picking it up and throwing it again. They also don't go off while in your inventory. It just lets you skip the 50% TUs of priming them at the start of a mission.

It's damn handy to have a 17-22 TU ( 3 for shoulder to hand, then 25% throw) invincibility field on call at a moment's notice for rookies. And vets. Even when one of your guys gets killed, he goes down, smoke goes off, and whatever killed him usually can't wipe out your entire fire team next turn along with him. Nice for object retrieval too (it's always the guy with heaps of strength and a useful array of stuff that goes down).

It doesn't give you much that you couldn't ordinarily do, it just saves you faffing about for an extra two turns. But it feels horribly powerful. It's probably the item non-limit more so than pre-priming really. My skyranger (and my base) is full of so much "might be useful one day" crap, I'm surprised it takes off at all. 40 smoke grenades? Check. 28 flares? Check. 12 rocket launchers/laser pistols/laser rifles? Check. 40 large/10 small rockets? Check. Should we bring along the auto cannons, heavies, stunners and HE? Yeah, why not, bring some other stuff too, just in case. Just rip it out of storage. Probably costs less than one of those damn mind probe thingies we keep finding anyway. And storage is cheap.

When Xcom lands, there's reasons that so many civvies die. It was the aliens, honestly.

But yeah, I might just up the difficulty through mods. Or I could just not use as much smoke. It's just that it's always been standard policy to smoke the landing area anyway, but pre-priming lets you smoke virtually wherever you please for little cost or negatives. You might not be able to see them, but they can't plasma fry you, and they can sometimes even aim properly.

Do not pre-prime normal grenades though. This is a very bad idea.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:12:50 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »

My skyranger got iced by aliens on the second mission I did.
I also put my base as central as possible (Iraq), only to discover that the fucking aliens were busy trampling on brazil
I've played it for about 3 hours and it's already paid for itself in terms of "RRRRRRRGH" tense gameplay (And being unable to figure out how to overwatch)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2015, 05:06:40 pm »

I also put my base as central as possible (Iraq), only to discover that the fucking aliens were busy trampling on brazil
I've played it for about 3 hours and it's already paid for itself in terms of "RRRRRRRGH" tense gameplay (And being unable to figure out how to overwatch)

My experience says a base in the baltics about is good for future coverage early on. You get a lot of high paying countries that way after going long range then hyperwave.

Overwatch is reaction fire, you can't set it manually.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2015, 05:24:09 pm »

My skyranger got iced by aliens on the second mission I did.

Overwatch blows goats. It's worked out on how many TUs you have left as a percentage, multiplied by your reaction percentage, compared to how many percent (total) an alien has left of their TUs. You only use snap shot (aliens use auto and super-squad-sight). Maybe as an actual TU count comparison, or as a percentage, I forget which. It's probably actual modified TU count, so fast aliens are harder to shoot. More TUs on a soldier's stats probably helps as much as a few extra reaction percent (from memory). So at least it "kind of" auto-trains as your soldiers get more TUs from doing their normal stuff anyway. The reaction firing soldier then drops down the Reaction Thingy list as many TUs as the shot used in any further comparisons against that alien's TU total.

Here's the actual info:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Reactions
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Reaction_fire_formula
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Reaction_fire_triggers

It can work if you have a couple of guys facing the right way, that just crouch, outside of smoke, and don't move or fire ever. It's better on terror mission where stuff just wanders into view while chasing civvies. Just saving enough TUs for a snap shot isn't enough (you'll start at about 30% TUs depending on weapon, divided by your reaction percentage, so you'll be at like 10 TU on the "Reaction Thingy" list, which isn't even enough to fire, and the aliens WILL shoot you first). The soldier firing must be able to "actually see" their target, so no super-squad-sight is used (AFAIK) for Xcom soldiers.

Reaction stats only ever get boosted if you actually make some reaction shots. Pistols/laser pistols and laser rifles will give you reaction shots sometimes if you don't move an inch and something wanders on past. Plasma pistols/rifles and Heavy Plasmas are ok too, just for accuracy and reasonable snap fire times.

There's very few times where relying on reaction fire is good to do when you can just pop smoke. Turning two soldiers into semi immobile "maybes", without cover, usually gets them killed.

If you give them plenty of armour, it can work. Just sit everyone outside a small ufo's door with a low-tu snap firing weapon armed on everyone you want to have good reactions with. End turn. Keep ending turn, keeping full TUs on everyone. Either an alien will come out and fry you because of your crappy reaction and aim, or you might get some reaction shots in. Maybe. Congratulations. That soldier just got "sit there and do nothing" duty for the rest of his life. It will be short. Actually easier on Genius/Superhuman, because there's usually more aliens in small ufos, so they pop out more.

You can also do it from the edge of smoke (one or two squares in), just to make sure the alien has moved a bit before you see him (you might be higher on the Reaction Thingy than him by the time you both spot each other, because he's moved to see you, you've still got full TUs, even with crappy reactions dividing it). This is the "normal" way of getting reaction shots.

It can also work with flying armour. Fly up, pop smoke on top of the skyranger. Fly near the edge of the smoke, crouch mid-air and wait. Keep waiting every turn. Probably best to use a pistol or laser pistol for this (assuming you're training, not killing). At least you'll have great vision lanes and a bit of smoke protection on that z-level. Works with more accurate weapons if you actually do want to kill something with reaction fire. Might be best to pop smoke on the z-level under you as well (on the skyranger's wings and on the initial items square) for a bit more vision protection.

Floater terror missions are great for reaction fire training too. Because reapers suck. Kill ALL the floaters and run everyone up stairs or inside 1 tile doorway buildings. Pull out the laser pistols (or regular pistols). Ping away on 3-4 reapers from saftey (reapers can't go up stairs or through small entrances). Think of it as live target training. You'll be superb shots with good reactions in no time (actually, quite a lot of time, especially with basic pistols. It's like alien airsoft. Nobody gets hurt, everyone has some fun, and everyone wishes they had a real gun). Do not actively fire. Just get as many decent vision lanes as you can. Hopefully reaction fire happens. After turn 20, they can see you ANYWHERE. Make sure they can NOT fit through the doorways or go up the stairs (to the point of removing the stairs). Then just bunker down, keep pinging them, and hitting end turn. Takes forever, and you'll get somewhere between 0-6% more reaction stats off SOME people. Yaaayyyyy????!/????

You can also stun the last few aliens on a level (leave one alive and kicking, or mission ends), take away their weapons, and let them run the gauntlet. Do it against any alien you stun really. But again, you lose a soldier or two who just sits there until the alien wakes up. And a live capture. It sort of feels contrived.

tl;dr. Don't rely on overwatch reaction firing. It sucks. The aliens are good at it. You are not. You play actively. They're playing UFO Defense. You die lots or waste tonnes of time otherwise. Use heaps of smoke. Aliens hate Xcom smoke. Always duck. It shows Earth who has the balls to teabag alien scum around here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:44:54 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »

In a couple of previous page, there was talk about a crashing bug involving Reapers in terror mission, it was the 24 june from last year, and a quick look on the open xcom website shows that the current download (the milestone) is
Current Milestone: 1.0 · June 13, 2014

So it looks like the solution to avoid the problem is the same as it was : use a nightly build (as the bug in question had been fixed post-release) instead of the main download :
http://openxcom.org/git-builds/

(and before installing any of them, be aware that some mods are buggy and have crashes on their own)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2015, 05:50:44 pm »

Cheers. I'll update shortly.
It's a game. Have fun.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2015, 06:30:25 pm »

Post to wait for X-Com: terror from the blub blub update.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2015, 09:37:39 pm »

Open X-Com is basically the best thing to happen to the series since that insane patcher. It really brought the game back to life, fixed critical issues, and added tons of content.

I'm waiting for Open Apocalypse. It'll be better than any eye candy Firaxis can shit out, that's for sure.

Not such a huge fan of TFTD. I never got into the whole "Underwaterrenamethegeartobeunderwater" thing, but maybe I never gave it a fair chance.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2015, 02:04:23 am »

Haha man I suck at xcom.
Early game, I have no clue of which weapons I should use so I usually end up just arming everybody with rifles.
Also, I wish there was a way to check strength vs weight on the equip screens...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2015, 02:20:59 am »

There is. It's under options/ advanced (or mods, I forget which) on the main menu. Something like "Show Extended Soldier Stats on Equip" or similar. Shows strength, weapon accuracy and reactions.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:13 am »

Haha man I suck at xcom.
Early game, I have no clue of which weapons I should use so I usually end up just arming everybody with rifles.
Also, I wish there was a way to check strength vs weight on the equip screens...

You are doing the right thing. Canons and autocanons are kinda situational because early enemies can easely be killed with rifles and cyberdisks can be dealt with large rockets (preferably from a HVP because those are more practical)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2015, 06:08:37 am »

What!? You mean arming every one with granade luncher is not a right thing!

In my game, the casualty and destruction that happen in this war, alien only responce to about 20% of it  :P

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2015, 06:10:30 am »

You kinda want corpses generators and flight computers to stay in one piece. Autocanons with HE are not the best choices.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:52 am »

Autocanons with HE are not the best choices.
Heresy!
._.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 153