Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241670 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »

If I didn't already have other projects I'd mod in suicide reapers with bombs attached to them, I really want that to be a thing...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2014, 05:21:44 pm »

Well there were the poppers from X-com Apocalypse...  (hmm x-com apocalypse aliens in original x-com)

It would probably just be a matter of making a custom reaper and changing it's weapon from it's bite or claw or whatever it is to something with a range of 1 and a blast radius.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:24:31 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2014, 07:04:49 pm »

If I didn't already have other projects I'd mod in suicide reapers with bombs attached to them, I really want that to be a thing...

If I remember right one of the alien mods (either the waspite one or the gazer one) has exploding enemies. Not sure if they do it deliberately, though.

It turns out several people were having an issue with Reapers freezing during terror missions. One of the latest builds fixed that, so everything works now.

Thanks for mentionning that, i had avoided terror missions so far (because i remembered how terrible results i had with them with my starting squaddies) and so didn't encountered that problem.
I grabbed the latest nightly following your post :)

Happy to help!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2014, 07:27:25 pm »

(hmm x-com apocalypse aliens in original x-com)

Combine them both to allow underwater conflicts.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2014, 07:48:18 pm »

So I did it. Open X-Com, Superhuman, ironman, victory.

I lost two Skyrangers and over 100 units. I simply avoided any mission involving etherals. In fact, I never even captured a body.

I grabbed a Sectiod leader early to get psionics or what ever and than promptly lost every unit I had training during a mission.  This happened a couple of times until I finally remembered to take units in training OFF of the Skyranger while they were in training.

Both times I lost Skyrangers were major blows. It was straight back to rookies and the only stockpile of weapons I had were laser rifles. I spent so much money trying to get back on my feet I found myself at under a million and unable to afford needed items.

Once Psionics were squared away though, it was pretty smooth sailing. I decided to go for the last mission when I won a terror mission with no causalities, including civilians.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2015, 11:19:01 am »

Wow, being able to pre-prime grenades on 1.0 is OP as hell. I've never used as many smoke grenades in my all the years I've played xcom as I did today.

There's not even such thing as a rookie any more. Everyone gets a rocket launcher, a laser pistol, personal armour and as many pre-primed smokes grenades as they can carry. They're about to upgrade to plasma. It's like everyone is uber useful from day 1, even the incredibly hopeless. I almost feel like I need to nominate some soldiers to be rookies, because everyone regularly lives through their first few missions. Too many items, too much firepower, way too many rockets.

I keep a few dedicated pistol/stunners around, but that just means they can carry even more smoke than the rocket crew (all 10 of them). As the heavy rocket smoke-jumpers get more strength and TUs, then they can do it all. More smoke, more rockets, more stunning and easier weapon changing. Hell, I'll even bother to give them medikits one day.

A standard mission:

Turn 1, smoke around the skyranger, smoke in the skyranger, pass turn. I'm perfectly safe. Plus I can nuke anything that I can see down the ramp anyway.

Turn 2, run out (I'm still perfectly safe), chuck smoke wherever else I feel I should, or start scout/snipering. Ie: Send a barrage of rockets at anything in the least bit scary. Use the pistols when I run out or need to go inside the ufo or get bored of reloading.

Turn 3-x, Finish mission, stun a few aliens along the way that managed to blunder through some smoke right next to me.

It's weird when quality of life features and corrected gameplay "flaws" make a game 10x easier than the original. Pre-primed smoke grenades, unlimited amounts of smoke on the battlefield (used to be about 400 squares), virtually unlimited skyranger capacity (it's now done off base store limits instead of the 80 item limit) and knowing your exact maximum pack weight makes the game too easy.

This is on Superhuman.

Sure I've lost about 20 guys in the first two months, but that was mostly just me dicking around, going for unnecessary captures, or just trying stuff out. It'll get harder, and psi is always a problem, but I don't think I've had an easier xcom playthrough, and I've researched diddly so far.

I've already got so many damned plasma pistols and magazines laying around that I'm actually tempted to research them for once. It'll just make my rocket smokers even scarier. I'm not sure I even need heavy plasma or blaster bombs to win this run.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:10:54 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2015, 11:19:33 am »

I cant find the android version anywhere, the download seems to be dead...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2015, 12:02:43 pm »

it seesm it is time to get back into the xcom fry!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2015, 12:23:10 pm »

What do pre-primed grenades do?
._.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »

Priming took away some tu in the original

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2015, 02:33:58 pm »

Wouldn't pre-primed grenades explode if carried, just as if they were primed normally? Or does "impact fuse" (0 time) not explode at all unless dropped/thrown?

Also, you should try some of the other quality-of-life improvements the game provides. Aliens not dropping loot unless stunned instead of killed. "Sneaky" AI. Accuracy degrading with range. If the game is too easy, there's always room to make it harder.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2015, 02:45:24 pm »

I'm not entirely sure from the thread, but you need oldX-Com for OpenX-Com to work, right? If so, where's a good place to find it?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2015, 02:46:31 pm »

Steam. 50% off right now.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2015, 02:47:02 pm »

Steam. It's still for sale and stuff.

Also see if you can grab TFTD, openxcom support is coming to that soon hopefully. And future mods may pull on both.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2015, 02:49:23 pm »

X-Com: UFO defense, right?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 153