Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241682 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »

I'm curious, would anyone be up for a succession X-Com, where each person plays through the game until they complete a single mission, when the game save is passed off?

I would, but I think completing a month in the game per person would be more interesting.

I said one mission, because I tried running a let's play, and it took a few hours to fully detail a mission with lead-up.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 10:54:33 pm »

Is it possible for an alien base to not have a Commander? I just captured 10 live aliens at a base and a couple died, and I got 2 leaders but no commander. It was a sectoid base too so I would assume that the commander be psionic and stay put for the most part, while the ones that died got reaction fired to death.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:16 pm »

UFOpedia claims there is always a commander in a base attack mission.  So... probably not?

Sectoid leaders are psionic too.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:05 pm »

Also commanders like to explode themselves and their fellow command with blaster launchers. My headcannon is they commit seppuku.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2014, 01:33:31 am »

Sectoid Minion:  They're at the gate sir!

Sectoid Commander:  The time has come.  I have dishonored our race by losing to these pathetic humans and must commit Fusion Seppuku.  *Aims Blaster Launcher at general stomach region*

Sectoid Minion:  C-could I have a second to move out of the way sir?

Sectoid Commander: Nope *pulls trigger*
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2014, 04:36:54 am »

I haven't messed with open X-com much, but I know that in the PS version of UFO defense there would occasionaly be base missions with no command center or no commander (sometimes no command center AND no commander)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:58 pm »

I used to consider myself an X-Com Pro.  I once had a game on the playstation last years upon years,  I vaguely remember it being up to 2010.  I was toying with the aliens at that point.  I had an entire squad of soldiers that were downright superhuman, and my backup squads at other bases were no slouches either.

But now...  Now I am getting my ass handed to me.  I haven't seen a UFO for 3 months, (I saw one week one that took off before interceptors could get to it) I'm only keeping the council happy with my performance on terror missions, and even that isn't likely to last since I take pretty heavy losses each time.  I haven't seen any elerium or alien alloys, because I haven't so much as touched a UFO. There is an alien base in russia that every time I attempt it I get total party kills to cyberdisks that I struggle to kill even with lasers rifles and heavy lasers.  Even when I do kill one they blow up in somebody's face.

None of my soldiers seem capable of any reaction fire whatsoever, while at the same time if any of my guys so much as breathe within sight of a grey they are filled full of plasma.  I've had a full formation with full TUs and clear LoS never fire a single shot when a sectoid did a poledance on a street light in Rome.

They have done some massive AI tweaks for this game and did...something... to reaction fire.  I think I might need to drop back down to beginner until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2014, 04:50:25 pm »

Does anyone know how to set up the files so that openxcom becomes portable?
I set up a file called "user" in the same directory as the data file, but the game didn't use it, even after removing
the one it makes in My Documents.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2014, 05:01:22 pm »

I haven't tried myself but have you tried passing "-user <path>" to the exe with path replaced by where you want it to store those files?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2014, 05:11:49 pm »

Is anyone playing the 1.0 release and getting an error during battle?

I'm on a terror mission and went through a few turns, but on the 4th turn or so it bugs out when the enemy moves and seems to freeze.

Are you using a mod ?
I'm asking because i read on the openxcom board several people reporting crashes, and not having them when they're playing without any mod.
Maybe there's a problem with the mod support in the current version (or some mods are very buggy)

I set up a file called "user" in the same directory as the data file, but the game didn't use it, even after removing
It's strange, on my system after i create a folder named user inside my opexcom directory i don't have a problem, the game will save inside that folder.

I remember some of the versions of windows may be very picky regarding user data being saved , depending on where you have your main game directory.
So maybe try to move the openxcom directory into C:\ directly just in case

I used to consider myself an X-Com Pro.  I once had a game on the playstation last years upon years,  I vaguely remember it being up to 2010.  I was toying with the aliens at that point.  I had an entire squad of soldiers that were downright superhuman, and my backup squads at other bases were no slouches either.

But now...  Now I am getting my ass handed to me.

For people finding openxcom much harder than oldxcom, which level of difficulty are you playing it with ?

I remember oldxcom had a bug regarding the difficulty (you needed to use xcomutils to fix it) making it so that whatever difficulty level you selected, xcom just reverted to the lowest level of difficulty when playing.

As openxcom does not have such bug, you may be experiencing the real difficulty levels, while in the past you were playing without knowing on beginner level ( that was enough to kill half your squaddies by missions anyways :D )
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:15:03 pm by Robsoie »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2014, 05:38:05 pm »

It may be the difficulty change.  I played on the middle difficulty on the playstation and I'm playing the middle difficulty now.  I heard that the PS version did not have the difficulty bug, because it was made long after the PC release, but I can't find any source to back that up.

Oh well, good to play a hard TBS game again, even if some of this stuff is a little crazy.  I'm losing a quarter of the squad by the second turn of going downstairs.  Smoke ain't stopping the reaction fire at all, and the cyberdisks insist on getting as close as they can before they start shooting so I can't return fire without eating an explosion. :P

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:38 pm »

Is anyone playing the 1.0 release and getting an error during battle?

I'm on a terror mission and went through a few turns, but on the 4th turn or so it bugs out when the enemy moves and seems to freeze.

Are you using a mod ?
I'm asking because i read on the openxcom board several people reporting crashes, and not having them when they're playing without any mod.
Maybe there's a problem with the mod support in the current version (or some mods are very buggy)

It's strange, on my system after i create a folder named user inside my opexcom directory i don't have a problem, the game will save inside that folder.

I remember some of the versions of windows may be very picky regarding user data being saved , depending on where you have your main game directory.
So maybe try to move the openxcom directory into C:\ directly just in case

Not using any mods, and the files are on my desktop, so there shouldn't be any problems with location.

It turns out several people were having an issue with Reapers freezing during terror missions. One of the latest builds fixed that, so everything works now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2014, 03:33:07 pm »

Ya know, X-Com is one of those games I always wished I could mod.   Thanks to the above post I learned that not only are there mods, mods are easy to make.

After learning how to switch notepad++ to read the rule files as YAML and learned how to set up GIMP with an old VGA palette the creative juices are already flowing.

(thumbnails)

I am in love with x-com all over again.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:08:11 pm by Greiger »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »

Nice!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2014, 05:10:00 pm »

It turns out several people were having an issue with Reapers freezing during terror missions. One of the latest builds fixed that, so everything works now.

Thanks for mentionning that, i had avoided terror missions so far (because i remembered how terrible results i had with them with my starting squaddies) and so didn't encountered that problem.
I grabbed the latest nightly following your post :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 153