Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241796 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #930 on: August 22, 2019, 01:05:18 pm »

In other news, is there any way to get Young Ubers from anything other than pogroms?

Reliably? No. However, you CAN get them from Death and Taxes, Aircar Races, and maybe something else too - I feel like I'm forgetting something. Maybe one or two of the bounties? Probably firestorms, not that you probably wanna deal with those. Basically anywhere where you can find mutant civvies running around can have them, and the more civvies the more likely it is to happen.

With the Aircar Races, as long as they aren't killed by the single unarmed (and frankly more likely to be killed than to kill anyone) Academy Student during the one turn before it ends, you'll get them even if you never lay eyes on them - just like Castaway Gals, Experiment Victims, Black Cats, the aforementioned Academy Student, etc.

Rolan, I've never seen Young Ubers on Necro Landings, just up and fighting Castaway Gals, but there's enough randomness in this game I'd not rule it out. That's totally unreliable, I agree.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 22, 2019, 01:28:42 pm »

On the level C bounty that has to do with a mage and his crew hidding in a completely locked ship on the top of a tower in my personnal save there was a young uber running around. On the same mission i had on the succession game there was none unfortunately.
So it looks like there's also a random factor to where those young uber can spawn.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:25 pm »

Right, I thought I'd had one on a tower escape too, but was too unsure to cite it. I usually get black cats or nothing on that. Thinking more, I'm pretty sure I got 2-3 youts on the B bounty where you fight a Nazi main battle tank, but a lot of pogroms are more enjoyable than that abomination.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 22, 2019, 01:46:24 pm »

But that one is so easy if you have rocket launchers or something similar!
It is also a variation of Jack's Lokk saving missions, so I doubt there was an uber.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 22, 2019, 01:57:05 pm »

You may be right about the young uber - I've only done that once, and I'd've sworn civvies were mutants, but it WAS a Jack mission, so...

When I did it I brought appropriate hardware, but it was an almost-entirely open map and the humanist dismounts were armed very unpleasantly. I had to do 2-3 turns of popping in and out of my Shadowbat to smack enough rockets, etc. into the tank to blow it up and probably came home with a few gal-months of total recovery time despite medical facilities.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 22, 2019, 02:58:13 pm »

I've only done the tank once, but it was a strangely simple experience-- I managed to kill all the individual units in the first two turns and then spent like 60 turns beating on it with bare fists (not sure if that actually did damage...) until I got bored of that and shredded it with vibro blades.

It was weird, since if I stood within two blocks of its rear, it couldn't seem to target me, so it just sat there doing nothing.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 22, 2019, 03:01:55 pm »

I already had a Deliverator when the mission was introduced to the game. And I'd never do it in an open craft, I keep the deliverator for missions like this even though I have a thunderhorse now. And for space missions.
And yeah, Krugers and MPGs (and I think infantry lasers?) keep the humanists somewhat in the game, unlike spartans (both have RPGs though, those can be evil), but there's usually not many around the tank.
My tactic was only shooting the tank when it shot Lokks in its turn, because its reactions aren't too bad and it always has full time units if it didn't shoot.
Though maybe mortars would be fine if you find a place to safely deploy one.

Even with hellerium rockets the tank usually takes 2 or 3.

What do you guys use at your secondary base(s)? I had a prospector (well, I still have it, but it collects dust at an interceptor base) and switched to the Drakkar. But that one only has exits in the back, so it is kinda a much improved skyranger.  The doors on the prospector are fine, but the rest of the layout is mostly annoying. I think about getting a 2nd Deliverator at the moment. Any other suggestions?
I use that base to train people on easier missions and in a spa, so they have a mix of gals and whatever and I want to bring more than just a handful of people. Convoys are not an option, way too slow.

Aoi:
Well, it doesn't seem to have a machine gun, so it would have a hard time targeting anything so close.
I usually axe everything, but I haven't tried with the tank yet. Well, a sitzkrieg just popped up...

Edit:
Well, this should make close combat easy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit2: I can't seem to hit it with melee. Worse: the Deathblossom was nerfed: the HVAP ammo only does 55 damage now, which means it is not damaging armor anymore.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 03:57:12 pm by Rince Wind »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 22, 2019, 04:33:55 pm »

Yeah the outside of the tank is actually terrain.  I'm not sure how it shoots exactly, I guess through gaps - you might be able to get a meaningful picture by pressing F10 to generate a first-person-screenshot.  I think you'd need to completely destroy some of the terrain "armor" to melee the core.

When I faced it the main cannon was looking straight up the Bonavantura's landing ramp, which sucked hard.  I ended up dropping like half a dozen or more hellerium grenades on it with a hover-suited gal who I assumed was on a suicide mission, but she got away (drawing inaccurate RPGs from some other humanist fools).  Strange mission.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 22, 2019, 04:49:00 pm »

I had the one and only piece of tall cover on the map blocking tank LOS with half of my Shadowbat, so IIRC I popped up a mortar on the other wing and was totally whelmed by its lack of effect. I used that, Recoilless Rifles, Rocket Launchers, maybe an RPG or two, and/or Chem Grenades. There may have been some direct-fire chem weaponry as well.

I currently am in early endgame (I think? Really might be late mid-game) and currently have a Fortuna at the main base, a legacy Jellyfish at the secondary for light interception/UW, and a Kraken at the tertiary base. (Okay, yes, and the Jelly is sharing that base with 5 or 6 Spy Zeps - I know, I know, I shouldn't be intercepting out of that base...) I'm hating my lack of fast interceptors but there doesn't seem to be any good alternatives available right now.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 22, 2019, 09:15:22 pm »

Re: Young Ubers.
     In my new game, the first landing was a necro-pirate mission, which ended with me gaining 3 young ubers in the first week, not that I could do anything with them for a couple of months … research bottlenecks priorities and all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:19:03 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:59 pm »

Yeah the outside of the tank is actually terrain.  I'm not sure how it shoots exactly, I guess through gaps - you might be able to get a meaningful picture by pressing F10 to generate a first-person-screenshot.  I think you'd need to completely destroy some of the terrain "armor" to melee the core.

That explains a bit-- I punched through a few blocks on the sides when taking out tertiary guys on the first few turns and thought it had some really weird geometry, but chalked it up to 'it's a weird tank'.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 23, 2019, 02:11:13 am »

As I don't play ironman I tried around a little.
The tank is hittable if you float to lvl 2 right next to the cannon, on at least one tile of the tank you can then float a couple pixles down as well, and it doesn't shoot you there. I assume the front is where the cannon points and I hit it in the back, Vibro- and Blood Axe with maxed gals should not have much of a problem and pierce through the 125 back armor almost all the time. A mind probe confirmed that they did nothing. Being technically on level one didn't help either. So I brought a gal with a chem deathblossom, she shot from the same direction, but even as the back armor was down to 9 the axes didn't do anything.
Then the cannon turned 90° to shoot some poor Lokk, and as I had basically given up and was out of energy I hadn't attacked this turn. So one of the gals reaction-hit it and killed it with a couple of hits.
So yes, weird.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 24, 2019, 12:11:38 am »

Lordy, those blue-shielded gauss hovertanks (mercenary base) are stupidly durable.

I've unloaded, into a single tank: 16 boomfruit, 2 acid vials, 8 black powder bombs, 8 blunderbuss chem clips, 6 AP clips of whatever shotgun shields use, 2 panzerfausts, 6 ES-lazpistol clips, 2 ES-lazrifle clips, 2 hydra laser clips, ~8 aqua plastic spear pokes, ~6 vibro sword stabs, 2 satchel charges, and 4 barrel o' bomb.

My squad is now entirely out of ranged attack options, and the stupid thing can't seem to get off my elevator tile, nor hit me. And there's two more in this base. (Though I'll get to grab more gear if I can make it back to the starting area.)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 24, 2019, 04:00:19 am »

I got a base attack by mercenaries with 2 of those tanks. It was my main base so I reloaded a lot. But I also had an Armored Car with a Recoilless Rifle there and a few Reapers, and my best pirates.

One hovertank got inexplicably stuck in a cellar room hunting a Reaper. I evaded the other until I had killed most mercenaries. 3 of my gals rushed the tank to melee it until the shield broke, running out of time, stuck in a melee with a fucking hovertank.... then my car drove up and fired a couple 105 mm shells into it, wrecking the tank.  Then I had a couple sneaky gals dump a barrel bomb and a few looted hellerium grenades down the other's hiding hole, which put it down.

I think the 2 vibroswords I had did the trick for the first one; I don't know, I can't research them yet. You need to do a lot of damage at once or the shield will regenerate.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 24, 2019, 08:16:46 am »

They only take 45% cutting damage, so the best thing is, once you brought the shield down, to shoot them with heavy lasers/portable lascannons or bring plasma/chem to destroy the armor. Re-remove shield each turn before applying the real damage. Krugers, Gothic Rayguns and Magneto Plasma Guns all strip armor just like real plasma weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 153