Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241930 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #855 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:37 am »

What's the significance of sorting soldiers?  Putting the noobs at the exit ramp so they eat up all of the reaction fire from the aliens before the veterans come out and return the favor?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 13, 2019, 08:24:19 am »

What's the significance of sorting soldiers?  Putting the noobs at the exit ramp so they eat up all of the reaction fire from the aliens before the veterans come out and return the favor?

I use it to sort by a stat I want to train (bravery, reaction, shooting) for certain missions if I've got more soldiers than fit in the transport. Whoever needs training most gets to go. Alternatively, the best veterans go on tougher missions.

Or sorting by psi/MC strength to determine who gets pink slips.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 13, 2019, 01:07:04 pm »

First of the new J16 missions: Devil's Reef. It mentions starting on the surface, then going underwater. I haven't gotten that far, but I have seen 4-5 deep ones, and aquaman (TFTD deep one), and a lobster man. So, uh...this will be fun. At least I'm the only one with any ranged weapons. And grenades.

Aquaman was upset that I hit him with a black powder bomb (he's bleeding), so he fired electricity(?) and 1-hit KO'ed my gal. So that's a thing. It wasn't a direct hit, though. One black powder bomb to the head will still kill Aquaman, at least on the surface.
I had that mission today, and the underwater section is absolutely horrible. It's all sprawling coral, and with the low graphical fidelity and the fixed angle, it's really hard to see its actual shape. You just have deep ones and aquamen lobbing javelins and lightning bolts at you from somewhere. You can thankfully use regular weapons on the mission. I cheesed it by taking all the objectives out with a rocket launcher. Also had high explosives with me, but those wouldn't work. The level geometry made throwing them especially finicky, and the ground next to the celatid beacon wasn't ground for some reason, and the bomb would fall right through it.
I got like a thousand points for it, so that's nice I guess.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 13, 2019, 05:48:28 pm »

Will bring a rocket launcher.

Anyone have any tips for successfully shooting chain-link fences? I'm in one of the explodey cities full of civilians, so I don't want to use black powder bombs.

Edit: still curious about shooting fences for the future, but I remembered electro lassos are super good at destroying fences.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:50:18 pm by Iduno »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 13, 2019, 06:13:28 pm »

Has anyone had any success doing space missions in J16? My gals keep taking damage every turn, even with space suits.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:50 pm »

They're bugged with a shift in how Dio wanted to handle the environment penalty. Dioxine recommends disabling the enviro damage in space in light of the bug.
Code: [Select]
- type: STR_ENVIRO_SPACE
    paletteTransformations:
      PAL_BATTLESCAPE: PAL_DGOOD_SPACE
    environmentalConditions:
      STR_FRIENDLY:
        chancePerTurn: 100
        firstTurn: 2
        lastTurn: 1000
        color: 205
        weaponOrAmmo: "AURA_COLD_DEADLY"
        side: 4
        bodyPart: 1
find that in Piratez_Planet.rul and delete the whole 'environmentalConditions' block

I strongly recommend joining the discord, big bugs like this get posted there.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 15, 2019, 11:41:23 am »

Deep One mutant pogroms are a slog. Lobstermen are defensive, celatids/fartbags are super offensive or hide somewhere until they can murder someone, and deep ones like close combat so you don't know they're coming. Plus, they don't surrender, so you have to have them all on the ground for the mission to end.

I only lost one gal and exactly half of the population to kill 6 deep ones, capture like 20 more plus 2 live celatids and 2 live lobstermen. It took ~25 turns during which bug hunt never started, and I needed to restart because of a bad start (someone shot the pipe near our ship turn two, and nearly everyone died in a fire). Also, I'm hoping the next base defense isn't soon, because most of my gals got hit with something that caused bleeding (javelins and spears, mostly).

It took me 2 real life evenings to complete so I didn't lose my mind, and the main thing I gained is enough deep one pie ingredients to be doing okay financially next month.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 15, 2019, 11:54:49 am »

the modification for having bug hunt always triggering at turn 15 is just the best, i don't think i could still play xpiratez without it anymore.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 15, 2019, 12:15:07 pm »

There's a "Wounded defend(if HP above x%)" option in the advanced options. I think that's new?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 15, 2019, 12:18:53 pm »

the modification for having bug hunt always triggering at turn 15 is just the best, i don't think i could still play xpiratez without it anymore.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. The current system where it only kicks in on maps where I'm actively camping to train bravery, but doesn't when I'm actively hunting for the last one or two opponents is bad. Especially when it's supposed to do the opposite.

Also, I guess I need to retract my earlier comments about going into melee with lobstermen being suicidal. It seems to be the only thing that works, aside from the 3 electro lassos I've gotten from jack. Melee with a fast weapon or lasso is real good against pretty much anything. I haven't tried with a cyberdisc (only saw them before I found out how good lassos are, but if academy drones are any indication...), 25mm cannon, or boomasaurus yet.

There's a "Wounded defend(if HP above x%)" option in the advanced options. I think that's new?

It's been there at least 3 or 4 versions. I like 70%, but I can't give a reason why.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:22 pm »

Choking is really, REALLY good against Loberstermen, so if you have a way to reliably deliver that it's brutal. Wands of Airlessness on someone with decent Voodoo can usually one-shot them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 15, 2019, 03:30:51 pm »

They're bugged with a shift in how Dio wanted to handle the environment penalty. Dioxine recommends disabling the enviro damage in space in light of the bug.
[...]
find that in Piratez_Planet.rul and delete the whole 'environmentalConditions' block

I strongly recommend joining the discord, big bugs like this get posted there.
Thanks, that worked.
Also Discord is a passing fad. I'm quite happy with my 1980s IRC client.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 16, 2019, 08:52:21 am »

So a while back, there was a discussion about how early reticulans showed up...

In the current version, I just got one as my very first mission, albeit as a distress call that gave absolutely no good loot.

In other news, on easy, did anybody start with really annoying missions? I had three false starts before this Reticulan ship-- one in the cold that left 4/6 gals unconscious by the fourth turn (yeah, no, restarting, even though that was entirely my own fault and still recoverable), one with like 8 necropirates (knocked one unconscious, was about to run away when one of my gals got reaction fired to death on the way back to the ship), and one that launched some kind of explosive from out of my LOS straight into my ship as I walked out on the first turn (...).

Other than that opening salvo, everything else has been fair game, though I wasn't expecting to have to go toe to toe with a group of Canny Gals with half my squad being unarmored backup peasants pre-Back to School.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 16, 2019, 09:37:44 am »

I have still not seen these necropirates. Will I have to start a new game to get them?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 16, 2019, 11:04:59 am »

Probably, because they are early game enemies. If they show up later at all the chance is really small.

And I almost always have the first enemy ship land on Iceland.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 153