Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 242087 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #810 on: August 05, 2019, 12:31:41 am »

I finaly bought an Academy Provost! She takes 20 days to arrive. Time to smash more mercs in the meanwhile.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 05, 2019, 03:24:47 am »

I also don't think [ratmen with plasma weapons is] supposed to happen.
I figured it was the "raider subcontracting" in the in-game lore. One of the bigger factions arming ratmen with plasma guns because they don't want to fight me themselves.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 05, 2019, 10:20:21 am »

Why when I start a new base do all of the good training missions (temple raid, the one with the robot outside of a tiny building, ratling roundup) all seem to dry up? Am I only noticing it because I've got 8 new recruits who need training so nobody dies the next time we get attacked by ratlings?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 05, 2019, 10:24:00 am »

Won't a dojo train them up to a respectable standard by itself?

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 05, 2019, 10:46:29 am »

It feels like when they add more missions it takes longer to get older ones.

I swear to god bounty missions have gotten far rarer then they used to be.

And, for me, three out of four times it's to burn down that guys barn early game.

Kinda hoping they add in a way to request a certain category of mission, like bribing or information collecting projects in the workshop.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 05, 2019, 12:38:39 pm »

Won't a dojo train them up to a respectable standard by itself?

Depends on how long it takes the base attacks to get there. I'm not sure my dojo was built be the time we were attacked.

It feels like when they add more missions it takes longer to get older ones.

I assume it picks X missions out of a pool for the month, so a larger pool means each mission is rarer. I agree that being able to affect that roll in some way in-game would be helpful.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 05, 2019, 01:56:23 pm »

You could send a few more experienced units from your other bases?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 05, 2019, 02:17:44 pm »

You could send a few more experienced units from your other bases?

I did so with my previous run. This time, a lot of them got injured shortly before the new base's barracks finished building.

Edit to prevent double-post:
Finished my first year, and I'm feeling mixed about the results so far. Interceptors are researched, and we're looking into building (once I have storage space) first gen while researching higher generation vehicles. We're ready to join the mutant alliance, as soon as we've got better transportation (although I can buy shadowbats, which are great if a bit small - 9  gals). Our third base is being built, and the other 2 are mostly filled. Laser construction will come online shortly after I have a library. Most of that feels like I'm behind schedule.

For the good news: I've fully researched members of the church up through priests (all that I've seen), academy up through engineers found on excavators, and guild up through security/hostess without warehouse wars (stapler from some dogs who kidnapped a government agent). I also have reticulan peons and hybrids researched with sirens started. Good luck with landing ships lately (because I've been following them). Also, fully researched government agents, traitors, and ninja gals, plus the young uber from arm wrestling a ninja. 3 plantations and 25 courtesans help offset enough costs that infamy is higher than maintenance fairly regularly. The last reticulan ship I successfully got (grumble grumble stupid mechoids) gave me 2 plasma guns. I've also got mutant alliance files completed (I only needed to make 1), and decrypted data disks half finished, with 10 available for research. Hopefully that means the odds of getting good techs from data disks is pretty good.

Being able to rob all of the hostages means Jack has given me some decent prizes. The early electric lassos have gotten me several academy drones to dissassemble, although stun rods have also done their part there. The young uber kept me from a lot of research, so I should have tried a mutant pogram earlier (I think I finished 2 ratling/ghoul pograms), and the assassination trophy from the mage kept me from getting mutant alliance. I'm guessing some of the early-game slowness has been added intentionally (ratlings don't know apples, hoes don't know pimpcraft, you need 950k for personal labs, etc.).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:06:32 am by Iduno »

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 08, 2019, 03:47:40 pm »

There was a new update, some small additions and a lot of fixes.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 08, 2019, 06:55:06 pm »

Found what's presumably an Open X-Com bug, don't wanna make a forum account or otherwise mess about on the dev forums to report it. So if anyone  more ambitious/responsible wants to...

If you finish a mission with insufficient prison space (or probably storage space, too), and are forced to sell/ship captured enemies, and aren't playing ironman... if you reload the geoscape autosave right after hocking all the excess people (items?) it'll load the game right after you clicked "Aye" to get past the exp/loot/sell screen but before it checks and enforces prison (storage?) overflow. However, it proceeds as if overflow has been checked. So you get all your sold/shipped stuff back, and then carry on with the game even if you have e.g. 30/15 in your prison...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 08, 2019, 11:35:34 pm »

The new version comes with an HTML Bootypedia.

Trying to figure out where Heavy Power Couplings come from and what else you can make with them? All neatly searchable and referenced right there!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 09, 2019, 01:05:11 pm »

How do I upgrade? Is it fine to just overwrite the old files with the new ones?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 09, 2019, 01:19:26 pm »

How do I upgrade? Is it fine to just overwrite the old files with the new ones?

I would move the save folder, and do a full uninstall/reinstall of the game. It may not matter, but it's better than chancing it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 09, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »

I'm almost positive you're not supposed to overwrite!!

I've always copied my save (geoscape, to be extra careful) and TFTD/UFO data directories from the previous folder.  Then launch->options->mods->x-piratez, hit okay so it loads the mod, then reconfigure my settings manually.  It's probably safe to copy your options file but I play it safe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 09, 2019, 03:45:51 pm »

I've been copying the options.cfg for about a year, works fine so far.
I usually upgrade at the end of the month, because new missions can then be in the next one.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 153