Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241958 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2019, 08:32:56 pm »

Heh.  Maid mansions have some good shit, but you generally glimpse it out a window as you climb the tower.  I mostly took the mission to avoid the mild score-malus of leaving it open (if there even is one).  Then ignored it.  Then eventually, late-midtech, I actually tried to complete a mansion level.

It turns out that completion is locked behind Dioxine's riddle.
Spoiler: The Riddle of Steel (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 02, 2019, 08:54:04 am »

The Burning Town as Million Dollar Safes, I got two or three out of the mission.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 02, 2019, 09:11:16 am »

Heh.  Maid mansions have some good shit, but you generally glimpse it out a window as you climb the tower.  I mostly took the mission to avoid the mild score-malus of leaving it open (if there even is one).  Then ignored it.  Then eventually, late-midtech, I actually tried to complete a mansion level.

It turns out that completion is locked behind Dioxine's riddle.
Spoiler: The Riddle of Steel (click to show/hide)

It's been a while since I last attempted one, but is it possible to sneak explosives into the mansion?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 02, 2019, 11:33:01 am »

Okay, to build any fighters or other ships, I need a cloaking device. I can't buy them or make them. I assume I'm missing a research (maybe a contact?), but I can't figure out which one.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 02, 2019, 12:00:29 pm »

You need to research them before you can get them, look at the tech viewer to see the requirements.

Edit:

One of my bugeyes got a condemnation for taking out enemies after using the terror ability. I'm not sure if it's from making the enemies panic or them shooting each other while berserking, but either way I'm impressed for how thorough the system is.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:54:43 pm by amjh »
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 10, 2019, 02:46:46 pm »

How does the difficulty scale? I could imagine score, time (like TFTD at least), and/or technology level (most likely a few key techs) could be used to decide you need harder enemies. Or a hidden "you've killed X people, they're angry and attack your base, next they'll complain to the Star Gods."

Also, I found out what was going on with the cloaking device. It turns out that the search (q menu) requires literacy. Much easier to find words when you can spell them correctly.

And, bonus observation re: Gals vs Males/slaves - an all-uber team means you only need one type of armor. You get like 250 points fewer, but that's fine. I still need to figure out which armors work well underwater (or continue ignoring researching underwater missions), but whatever.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2019, 03:30:22 pm »

Off the top of my head, the main options for underwater combat really are swimsuits/bikinis to get some inventory space compared to nudity.  Even nudity isn't so bad, though - *most* underwater adventures are relatively easy, allowing you to clear the map before stun damage becomes a problem.  Crabs can't even swim up to you, and fish are pretty weak.  Even the more dangerous foes I've seen are either melee, or... squishy :P

Having a few O2 tanks helps too, putting them on everyone is overkill.  Dart guns are meh, I usually just use axes.  I forget which damage types are best underwater but slashing seems to work fine.  Sea Oddities seem pretty similar, though they have an aboveground "part 2" which can be... time consuming.

Underwater Assets, if I remember that name right, tends to be a whole lot trickier and I've avoided them.  Good bounty, but a lot of tricky enemies.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2019, 04:59:28 pm »

I've had zero success with underwater missions. Everytime I come, there's a bunch of green fishy guys who slaughter my poorly armoured gals in one hit, while they struggle with the crappy underwater weapons and die like dogs.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 10, 2019, 05:07:57 pm »

The green fish guys are very dangerous in melee but harmless in ranged combat. Few aimed shots from a harpoon gun should take them out at maximum distance.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 10, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »

They're actually the "trickier" enemies I was associating with Underwater Assets (though for all I know they in the other missions too).  I guess they don't use the pipes and celati- fartbags, underwater, but they're pretty resilient and I think they still throw spears.  But maybe I had more trouble with them because I charged rather than relying on harpoon guns (which I associate with stun bolts rather than damage).

Slugthrowers now, those things will ruin their green fishy day!  For a while I forgot slugthrowers are intended as underwater-weapons since they do very solid damage aboveground as well, and can slot blasts of chem damage.
She/they

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 10, 2019, 06:54:25 pm »

Difficulty scaling - A lot of it is time-based. After X months the missions that give castaways become a lot rarer, eridian pogroms can't happen until year Y, etc. There are visible difficulty upgrades if you flip through the tech tree. Some tech that's important will give you, for example, "The Guild is Angry" which makes harder missions spawn and also unlocks some additional interrogation outcomes.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 11, 2019, 10:02:43 pm »

Looks like there's another update. A few minor additions and a lot of fixes.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2019, 11:41:14 am »

Is there anything I should know going into my first mansion raid? The map is so sprawling, the time is so constrained, and, um, the AI turn takes a disturbingly long amount of time to process after the first turn. Is there a strategy to the looting, or is it "wander aimlessly upwards while paying attention to the clock"? Is the basement worth looking at? Any pointers like that?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:48:32 am by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2019, 10:18:41 pm »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2019, 11:42:29 pm »

I saved and took a break on turn 3 or so, but so far that looks very plausible for the out-of-sight portions of the nonsense map I'm dealing with, yeah. So that explains the processing time, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 153