Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241546 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #330 on: April 25, 2019, 05:34:40 pm »

Wandering Bands of rat men or w/e.

There's a few interrogations that give their topic as a freebie. Basically expeditions searching for your base.

I had pretty good success when shooting at them with a plasma charger on an aircar with a pilot with good firing. They all were destroyed utterly on a hit.

I have a suspicion the base hit of a 30mm cannon etc is low enough the modifier for such a small target makes them literally impossible to hit.
That would explain it. I exhausted all of my remaining small cannon ammo trying to shoot "down" one of those wandering bands. A couple hundred rounds, wasted, and I haven't unlocked the ability to buy or make any more yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 25, 2019, 05:44:54 pm »

Ah thanks i see , i'll have to get better guns on my aircar then, easier said than done at that point of my run :D

I tested the gambling stuff, used near 150 blue chips from a few captures in the "spinning the wheel" from the production screen , as a result it looks like a nice money maker.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 25, 2019, 05:57:29 pm »

I take the swarms out with a double 25MM cannon, but pilot skill makes the difference between "5-20 rounds each" and "cannot hit with entire ammo load".
I really should bother to form a proper interception force...  But I see *very* few freighters, mostly just Megapol or bandit patrols.  And supply ships, which don't need shooting down of course.
Working on the mission type to intercept space freighters, which reminds me to make some actual spacesuits oops.  And find a good weapon for 0-G, presumably LaSeRs~

Unrelated, jeeeez the B-level bounty to take out a Humanist tank for Jack...  It's very cheeky.  An exceptionally tough 4-tile turret peeking over its body of "armor" terrain.  Massed minigun fire didn't cut it against the turret, because it's hard to hit over its basically invincible cover.  You also really, really don't want to end turn with LOS to it.

Even my armored car with rail-rifle didn't seem to do much (not like there's any way to tell, without a mind probe I guess).  I was so excited to try out my new vibro axes, but the terrain "armor" prevented that.  Ah well...  they went through the soldiers like butter, heh.  I love that plate armor w/ shield is still quite viable, and that the vibro axe is one-handed!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 25, 2019, 06:13:25 pm »

I was suspecting a base was starting to get created around the arctic polar circle after seeing a few medium ships landing.
What made me really worried is that all those ships i saw landing there were populated by mutons, well "mercenaries" as x-piratez list them, one of the high end enemy faction.

At the current point i was, a single of those mercs is enough to tank everything i have and murder every Gals without a problem, (on a save when i tested i saw a muton shooting a rocket that destroyed half of the map, excepted other mutons) so escaping after landing was the only way to not lose my teams

So what happened was that the base finally got created where i thought it was going to happen

Okay, i took out a base previously maybe i can do it again.
Let's first save/reload test to see what this base is about, hopefully it's not as i fear mutons/mercs infested.

Hmm, Gals explore and die . yeah, that base is full of muton/mercs.
No idea how i will be able to take it out, from a look to the wiki it looks like they have good armor (more than the warrior armor of the Gals) and have good resistance in everything except choking and "Anti-E511" that are the only 0% resistance they have.

So it looks like the only way i can have a hope is focusing on choking weaponry, back in a previous run poison grenade were great to deal with lobstermen , but i wonder if they could be the most efficient anti-muton weapon at that point of the game (i'm only half into the first year) or if there's another weapon that would be better as the propagation of the poison grenade may prevent exploring the base after some time.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 25, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »

Whoopsie? 0% resistance? Methinks percents is how much damage they take.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 25, 2019, 06:31:35 pm »

Yes, it is the way the engine displays stuff. Tanks have 45% concussion resist, which means you need really strong explosives even if you hit their underside.
0% means you won't do any damage.
Laser are quite good against Mercs, but against captains and whatever the cqc ones are called you'll want heavy lasers or something similar. Piercing weapons are pretty useless as they resist them quite well.
As always, axe to the neck works as well, tough you might have to hit them a couple of times.

But then, the Mercs themselves might be your smallest problem ... their terror weapons are incredebly tough.

I use the rocket launcher against the big tanks. One or two hellerium rockets do the trick, once you have them. Again, small launcher with EMP should work well as well.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2019, 06:32:18 pm »

Ahoy me hearties... I'm about to play Piratez for the first time. I played the original UFO game ages ago (not to completion) and the 2012 Firaxis version (to completion)... what's a good difficulty level to start with assuming a reasonable familiarity with tactical games?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2019, 07:01:31 pm »

It is balanced around the medium difficulties. So take any but the easiest or the hardest. Unlike the original game only those two adjust the enemy stats. It is mostly number of enemies that are the difference between the other difficulties. More enemies can make the game easier as well, as you have more loot and more potential prisoners.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 25, 2019, 08:24:35 pm »

Good to know i was reading those resistance wrong and that is instead the actual damage percent, would have been a complete waste to focus on that choke damage type.

Going to be much more of a pain than i thought as i don't have yet anything really usable on the actual damaging to mercs stuff (charm, bio, warp, mind)
Will be a long time before i can get laser online.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 26, 2019, 04:16:56 am »

Do you have looted laser weapons? Which codex do you use, because reds gothic raygun ammo can go a long way in a situation like this.
Too bad bugeyes have been nerfed, but if they are well trained you should still be able to mind control mercs, just not reliably.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 26, 2019, 09:13:38 am »

I have a couple of heavy laser and a few assault laser and laser guns looted, but so very few ammo .

On my base assault test with laser, i found that heavy laser seemed rather inefficient if you move (as it's single shot takes enough TU so you can't fire more than 2 times if you have moved a bit, and it's usually not enough to kill a muton from what i saw, leading said muton to be able to reaction fire, Gals dead as a conclusion due to what those damned things are using)

But assault laser thanks to the triple shots can do wonders as if you move a bit you can still shot 2 times only but those 2 shots mean it can hit 6 times, sure less hard hitting than heavy laser, but from what i see at least it can kill a muton in a turn

a pity i don't have more of those, and as i have still not found a damned guild stapler (despite all the interrogation i did, none gave me one), i'm still blocked from workshop and so can't research a codex, so laser are still no go.3
edit : oh and in that base they also have some hovering tanks with own personal shield , of course fielding 1 hit killing weaponry, i guess it's really going to be hard, i'll have to capture and interrogate more people until one give me this research i need for unlocking workshops and then codex -> laser  stuff before i can hope to kill that base
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:16:42 am by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:13 am »

There is a LOT of stuff between codex and lasers. :P
You'll have to stick to looted oned for a while unless you buy laslock guns, and those are expensive and not that good. But a way to get laser damage early on.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2019, 10:58:44 am »

Even if laser vs muton does not have its damage reduced on hit, those laslock gun damage seems a bit too low to be efficient enough against those beasts.
I'm nearly out of researches to make while waiting to finally get someone interrogated giving me that damned guild stapler :D

So much knowledge in stock already (i have lot of plasma and laser stuff researched from interrogation, gun manuals etc...) that can't be used because i'm still blocked by the lack of guild stapler -> workshop->codex.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:00:16 am by Robsoie »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 26, 2019, 11:03:59 am »

Yeah, the guild stapler requirement for the workshop seems designed like a campaign gating mechanism.  Barring freak RNG luck, you eventually get one captured off guild team leaders on the warehouse wars missions.

Speaking of gating, I also hope you're capturing ninja gals for questioning.  Getting their arm wrestling event to open the whole persuasion branch of research is another hard fought milestone.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2019, 11:08:00 am »

I have researched and built workshops and used the codex without any 'guild stapler'.

Looking, I'm playing v.j12, so I'm a version behind. I guess I can't migrate my save to the latest version? I don't really want to start a new game.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 153