Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241339 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2145 on: December 24, 2022, 03:43:46 pm »

I'm rather curious what the changelog stuff about broken & interrogation means. I assume it only refers to fiddling with how the late-game VIPs are handled.

My first thought was that it kind of did away with the weird nonsense that you used to need two of each VIP-- an unbroken one to research (and presumably identify as a VIP), and a second one to break and research for the important stuff.

Admittedly, by that point, it was probably easier to just buy your VIPs, even if they did cost ~100m each.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: December 24, 2022, 04:50:33 pm »

Identify as a VIP?  Perhaps, I don't mind that interpretation at all!  There's a lot about interrogation (and enslavement) that's rather arbitrary.
Spoiler: What I assumed (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: December 24, 2022, 05:23:26 pm »

Identify as a VIP?  Perhaps, I don't mind that interpretation at all!  There's a lot about interrogation (and enslavement) that's rather arbitrary.
Spoiler: What I assumed (click to show/hide)

Could be a mix of both! I think my 'identify as a VIP' bit is actually canonical though-- as I recall, there's an early flavor text about why it's important to research captives ASAP, and it's because it's a bad idea to kill random people on the battlefield willy-nilly without knowing exactly what kind of position they occupy in society.

And, once you realize they're a VIP, you can use your prior insight as to how to properly break them (with fuzzy handcuffs) so they'll give up the goods.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: December 27, 2022, 10:21:31 am »

New version of the Rosigma expansion of 40k mod , slaanesh focused
Spoiler: changelog 2.0a (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 09, 2023, 07:37:34 pm »

The 40K megamod got updated to 034
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)
The Rosigma expansion mod is not yet updated for this version, so you'll have to use 033 until then.

On other topic, since last year there have been the development of BrutalAI
Spoiler: description (click to show/hide)

Its development is still ongoing and currently is at version 2.2.4
https://github.com/Xilmi/OpenXcom/releases

Some mods are hilariously insanely difficult when you're running them with BrutalAI, especially mods with increased number of enemies as BrutalAI can make the AI attack your positions in squad instead of randomly patrolling around until like the default AI does.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:46:03 pm by Robsoie »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 09, 2023, 10:48:10 pm »

Technocracy strikes ruined living quarters in my factory hideout. Can't repair them, because facility is in use. Can't sell runts because... can't sell runts, anywhere?  ::) At least there is enough place to build backup quarters. All things considered, it is still better than destruction of the unique Red Mage building at the time when this particular brand of bullshit came into being.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:54:07 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 09, 2023, 11:10:22 pm »

Can't sell runts because... can't sell runts, anywhere?  ::)

Possibly insultingly obvious question: did you remove the runts from their projects before trying to sell them?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 09, 2023, 11:51:57 pm »

Can't sell runts because... can't sell runts, anywhere?  ::)

Possibly insultingly obvious question: did you remove the runts from their projects before trying to sell them?
Ah, of course not.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 20, 2023, 04:13:20 am »

I had an exceptionally bad month (-4000+) and no countries stopped payments though several reduced them. Prior to that month I had a good month and the Iron Tribes stopped payments. I don't think I missed a mission there. I haven't fielded interceptors beyond a single FAUST in the main Technocracy starter base. Is it the result of a spacecraft intercept I missed? I had no radar coverage there yet, Theban Hive is the closest and it only has an Outpost radar; I'm not sure if the FAUST can shoot down larger craft of the sort that does such a spacecraft mission; it mounts two light craft weapons (I was using 50mm in both though I may not have had the ammunition for larger spaceships remaining by that point) and shoots down Small megapol ships, bandit zeppelins, and necropirates easily, but I'm not so sure about larger faction ships. I'll probably have to do the sparkling hull researches soon for a more solid interceptor. I think I took Shadow Bat last time (grey codex) and used that for most of that game but I might change that up this time. I'm using the flying submarine BLOWFISH that holds 8 hands as a transport, and sometimes the FAUST that holds 6 if the extremely slow BLOWFISH can't go. IIRC the Shadowbat carries more hands than either and can go underwater while being a functional interceptor, making the BLOWFISH and FAUST both obsolete for the main base after using the HULL.

I have two visible enemy bases, I think there are locations with two more, and I also shot down a civilian transport or two in the bad month in the assumption that didn't harm score but I may have been wrong since the score was so negative. Otherwise it was a usual month where I did all the missions.

To avert some of this disaster I went back to an earlier save I make a few days before the month ends, and save scummed my way through a visible guild base with scale armor and panzerfausts for the tanks. I do not recommend panzerfausts in base assaults, the arc is tough indoors. I had to run a gal up to within explosion radius for one of the tanks after popping out of cover to toss nades or shoot at infantry near it, and the panzerfaust did not one shot the tank like I had hoped; The gal had enough TU to turn a corner and the tank did not fire the next turn. The others were destroyed by battle ax and mace wielding gals and several savescums. I found the tanks will usually use all their TU on movement the next turn without firing if gals are in melee with it, but will fire if they drive into a place they can see a gal who wasn't in melee with it. I'm not sure how reliable that is. I also caught two boomosaurs, one with a mace gal and the other with grenade spam that didn't kill it or even make it bleed, the guildmaster, and every type of prisoner present in the base that I hadn't researched yet (probably going to alarm the guild if I'm reading the researches correctly). The guildmaster was brought down easily with a skilled catgirl using a poisoned dagger. Hooray for save scumming, that base had TPW written all over it in scale armor and using spiked maces and battleaxes to get through the armor on tanks if I didn't sink to that level. I brought along flasks o' acid as my best thrown option to strip their armor, but they didn't seem terribly effective in comparison to hitting it with armor damaging melee weapons wielded by supersize gals.

Winning this brought the score back to around -2k. The other base was attempted but the entrance was covered by a hover tank that exploded some of the gals hidden there the first turn no matter where I placed them, so I saved that for a later attempt after no countries stopped payments if I went to the end month screen.

I didn't rush into researches I knew would unlock better equipment this game past smithing and such required for workshop facilities so I'm using a limited supply of dropped weapons that I can't purchase or make yet, and crappy weapons I can obtain ammo for easily in easy missions (spikey smg for it's stun in melee, bayonetted rifle for it's lethal melee, and in particular scoped rifle for it's aimed accuracy since I can't do scoped carbine yet, though I have one of those and find it superior to the scoped rifle). I probably will have to step that up; I was doing prisoner researches to free up limited space rather than ransom them. 4 bases fully built; I stopped adding more to put large barracks and an onsen in the secondary bases to turn the sectoweed from the usual plantation placeholders I put in a new base into El Commandante cigars. Finally making enough from those with 3x Extractpr facilities (installed cheaply prior to Workshop research for Hellerium selling income while the main base used the apples in it's Still) to fill out the rest of the base slots, but I need to obtain more interceptors for the existing bases first I think; as well as ammo for the craft weapons I have. I'm down to around 20 rounds for the 50mm on the FAUST and will have to swap one out for a lighter gun until the second 50mm runs out and is also replaced. I'm limited to making or purchasing airballs now (which I can't put on the faust I think) so I have Contacts: Krazy Hannah researching (when I don't have prisoners using all the Brainers) slowly so I can purchase craft ammo and also the last remaining 2x20mm or whatnot craft weapon required to build a flak tower kit needed to build a large prison for courtesans in the base in Antarctica, Assarctica. After that I won't have to make decisions about which prisoners to keep and which to ransom after each and every mission.

Is it a bug that when you receive a catgirl event that gives you a catgirl tourist that you can recruit catgirls without limit from the one prisoner? Usually the game "converts" the prisoner into a member of the crew, meaning the prisoner is lost but a new hand arrives a few days later. I like the catgirls, they have great TU potential without being limited by low strength like Lok'Naar and Gnomes, but I actually had access to recruiting them in bulk before Lok'Naars which seems like it may be a bug prior to researching the Recruit: Catgirl line of researches (I didn't take Gals are Superior, so the catgirls would be a nice upgrade from Slave Soldiers and Peasants I think). There is some fluff (Peregrine Cult or something along those lines) that suggests it may not be a bug, but I only recruited two catgirls like that as it doesn't work the same as other recruitment and stopped, but if it's intended I'll go ahead and recruit them for pilots for the other bases instead of Lok'Naar, who I'll use for underground missions with Gnomes (of which I have several) in the main base. I had a pair of wild gnomes show up as well as a Mad Gnome who was quickly appeased, and uh oops accidently converted the Gnome that an event gives you for repeated research into a crew member with them, so I'll have to capture one for repeateable researching in the later missions that have them.

EDIT: The Eurosyndicate keeps complaining about having a base in the Theban area, and demands I dismantle it or plop one down in their territory. Will they stop payments eventually, or will the -150 or whatnot infamy penalty just keep being applied? I could put a base in the Eurosyndicate, but I was setting them so the biggest radar range coverage didn't overlap, and it would if I put one there. Perhaps I could build one with plantations that I can tear up if needed, but that's extra up-front dollaros for something temporary I won't get a ton of use from other than the -base upkeep from plantations I assume still generate money if it's over the upkeep cost.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 05:49:48 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 20, 2023, 12:05:10 pm »

I'm using the flying submarine BLOWFISH that holds 8 hands as a transport, and sometimes the FAUST that holds 6 if the extremely slow BLOWFISH can't go. IIRC the Shadowbat carries more hands than either and can go underwater while being a functional interceptor, making the BLOWFISH and FAUST both obsolete for the main base after using the HULL.

If Shadowbats were submarines, I'd never look at anything else at that stage of the game. Sadly, they can only do sea surface missions (like almost all fliers). You might be thinking of Snakes (whose layout and loadout I can't stand).

[I'm pretty sure the Eurosyn never escalates beyond that penalty for favoring the Hive, so if you can afford 150 infamy a month, you're fine.]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:08:15 pm by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 20, 2023, 10:48:10 pm »

Bases aren't really that expensive, if you don't plan on developing them.  But I think X-Piratez retains the limit on maximum bases, so that kinda sucks.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 21, 2023, 07:37:24 am »

Yeah, I think it was the Snake now that I think about it, thanks E. Albright. I forgot it was colored green but I remember now that you mention it.

I think the FAUST can use airballs after all, but I already unlocked Krazy Hannah and put some 2x25mm on it. I also built two more FAUST with the small engines I was right to send to storage in other bases, and started another base, this time in the Steel Pact. Hawaii (whatever crazy nation that's a part of in this game) and New Zealand (I think part of Death Realms?) are the last two I'd need for covering most of the world in radar if I make it to the last radar installation. Then I put a big factory on the North Pole and should have one more spot open. I can probably tank the infamy hits from the Eurosyndicate, but I'd put a base there if they eventually stop protection payments or start raiding my bases.

I unlocked metal armor and can buy RPGs from Krazy Hannah, so I should be able to do the other base attack mission as well. I'll also try out the Mortar next outdoor mission unless I forgot to pack it onto the BLOWFISH. I might wait for chainmail.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: January 23, 2023, 07:47:03 am »

OpenXcom official page and Ufopaedia have been down for some time now. Anybody knows what is going on?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 23, 2023, 09:05:46 am »

Checking the discord, it's one guy that hosts both and a snowstorm took out the cables. Should (hopefully) be up today.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 25, 2023, 02:56:28 am »

So how does one get Technocracy datapad\Operation Snowstorm item? Got to the point where i need to shoot down marsec fighter to unlock higher studies, but those are nowhere to be seen, and missile strikes got pretty absurd.
Rest of the sigs
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 153