Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241359 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2100 on: October 23, 2022, 07:41:39 pm »

Thanks, but how did those "big rocks" landed in my storage (not yet seen the minecraft research) ? Did i made a mistake early game to get so much of that crap ?

For the fines, i know that i need to pay them before the month is ending to avoid even more wasted money, the game at least explained that , but i still wonder why i got one on some months while not in other despite i am not attacking any government ships.

Looks like the economy have changed a lot since the last version i played (the one from the succession game a few years ago) as i always get in the negative and i have to sell a bunch of things to avoid still being on negative at the month start.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 07:45:06 pm by Robsoie »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: October 23, 2022, 07:47:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure you start with the big rocks.

As for the government fines, I don't know. As far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be a way for them (or anything) to get added to your stores without you being notified. Any event should still give you the items arriving notification. I don't remember them being something everyone starts with either.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: October 23, 2022, 07:57:22 pm »

You start w/big rocks, yes. Big rocks are a mixed blessing. They're a way for the devs to give your initial base extra space from facilities you can't immediately replicate, but not TOO much extra space. You can then open that space by selling them off, or grinding them up with runts. There's an 84% chance you'll just get 50 small rocks from crushing them, 6% chance you'll get metal ore you can refine into scrap metal, 4% rare earth elements, and the remaining 6% is split between precious metals, hellerium, gems, coins, and goodie boxes.

You can eventually mine more big rocks to break down into this stuff as well if you have the runt power to spare. I wanna say one of the Captain specializations eventually lets you process them more efficiently. [Edit: yep, ?Jackass Captain? lets you mine and process them twice as fast with guaranteed good item output, but w/o getting a chance at boxes, and also with guaranteed Hideout Cleanup Bills and a small chance at demonic incursions...]

Some of the regional starts give you fines right off the bat. Look in the online Bootypedia under the STARTING BONUSES section to see what good and bad things your location/region combo gives you.

Eurasian Autonomy gives you one fine. Rogue Fields gives you 5. Cali gives you 50 Hideout Cleanup Bills. Those are all country starts. WRT regional starts, Central Asia gives you 777 Capitatory Taxes, which is brutal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:22:47 pm by E. Albright »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: October 23, 2022, 09:40:34 pm »

Thanks, but how did those "big rocks" landed in my storage (not yet seen the minecraft research) ? Did i made a mistake early game to get so much of that crap ?

In addition, there's also a random event that gives you a pile of 50? rocks. Pretty sure that you start with 169 though- it's a very XPZ-y number, anyways.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: October 24, 2022, 02:54:20 am »

So, due to my immense frustration with the matter last playthrough I decided to compile a quick list of requirements for the Captain's Log 1 & 2 events in X-Piratez.

This is based off of the scripting for version N.2.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: October 24, 2022, 10:54:22 am »

As it's been a lot of version i haven't played xpiratez, there are some stuff that i need help with

- government fines ( -100000$ each), i thought it was when you attacked a government landing ships, but as i have avoided doing so in the last couple of month, are there other reasons to get those again.
- "big rocks" , i see 169 of those in my stores, and they're selling them at -5000$ credits each, what is going on ?

Looking through ruleset, government fines are gained from starting in certain regions (Russia, South Africa) and from certain events.

You start with a number of Big Rocks because the base you found is partially collapsed. You can get more either by mining for them, or from the Earthquake event.
I am pretty sure you can also break them in your workshop.

The Earthquake event is really annoying, because you get 200 Big Rocks and if they could fit into your main base's stores were they empty, you are forced to sell or transfer items from your main base until they do fit.
If they can't fit into your main base if it was empty, you have to sell things from your main base, but the rocks are on the list of items that can be sold.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: October 24, 2022, 03:57:05 pm »

I settled my main base +/- in Siberia, zooming in the area i"m in is called "Eurasian Autonomy"
checking in the ruleset it appears that Eurasian Autonomy is the Russia replacer in xpiratez
Code: [Select]
  - id: STR_RUSSIA
    type_id: 7
    section: STR_LORE_UC
    image_id: ATN_CPAL
    text_width: 310
    text: STR_EURASIAN_AUTONOMY_UFOPEDIA
    requires:
      - STR_RUSSIA

That may then explain why i'm getting fines despite not attacking government vessels if it's a special trait of that region.
Super annoying as money is very hard to get, as the profit i make from most of everything i loot and sell is annihilated by that giant maintenance costs, and with those crappy super expansive fines getting in the way ... :/

Anyways, looks like someone tried to assault my base but got destroyed by my armored vault in one shot

At least it means no wounded gals in the defense mission then, already enough of them are out of commission with normal missions.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: October 24, 2022, 05:14:02 pm »

The game should still be telling you when you get the fines, regardless of source. Events still give the incoming items notification, and the starting bonuses count as an event. And of course if obtained through the battlescape, it should be listed with the rest of the loot.

Early raiding parties are most likely either the academy nurse base attack (which is meant to happen at the beginning and is... really easy) or a ratmen raiding party. Doesn't have to be those, of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: October 24, 2022, 07:08:19 pm »

I had one from the undead pretty early. In the end, after whittling them down to just a singular vampire lord, I cheated to knock it out because I was entirely out of ammo and explosives, and screw losing a whole base because of one last enemy.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: October 24, 2022, 08:13:15 pm »

I had an early academy attack on my base a few months ago in my run, fortunately it was easy and fun short fight, out of those 2 mini saucers that were apparently stuck high in the hangars and weren't moving in the whole battle, too me some time to find those annoyances. Looks like their AI crapped out on the pathfinding.

this one was the 2nd base attack and i have no idea who tried.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: October 25, 2022, 04:41:05 pm »

That unlimited auxiliaries (up to craft crew size) thing looks fun. I know I shouldn't use my doggies and parrots as ablative armour, but it's probably going to seem like I am in early game.

Having an entire flock of bombardier parrots should be hilarious.
It's a game. Have fun.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 01, 2022, 04:54:50 am »

So. Playing X-Piratez, I have encountered a minor problem.
Spoiler: It's... not great. (click to show/hide)
For those of you counting, that's five (5) enemy bases all in the same region. Ninja bases. Their clustered placement means that if you so much as touch a blade of grass anywhere in Australia or the surrounding ocean, you get the entire population of that god-forsaken landmass scrambled on a swarm of jet-bikes blotting out the sun.

So far my strategy of "cry while I desperately try to get better craft weapons before every base starts upgrading" seems to not be that effective.

EDIT:
Okay there's actually 6. This game hates me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:59:59 am by Chiefwaffles »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: November 01, 2022, 06:53:01 am »

Death realms indeed
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 01, 2022, 11:05:42 am »

like, what is the proper response in that situation? I still often fail to reach the mid game (though I did make it there once, but it felt like a mixture of insane luck and methodical save-scumming), because of things like the above clusterfuck

the game advertises itself as having many many options to approach situations, but sometimes it feels like the only way forward is a single highly specific technique. im not complaining, but I do hate finding out I lost the game three months previously due to poor planning.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 01, 2022, 11:22:31 am »

Level 1 Ninja bases can be destroyed with trickery even at a fairly low tech level.

To get to them, you need a fast craft to fly into the base's range and fly away before the defenders catch them. They will patrol for a bit then recharge for about a day. During this time, you get your transport in.

To clear the base itself, you need to play hide-and-seek with the ninjas. Break in through a back wall. They should provide you with flamethrowers and EMP grenades to wreck their large turrets with (Ol' Tankbusters are not up to the task), in case you do not have the means yourself.

Alternatively, the large turrets do not have great reactions, so most units can step out from behind the tower, ping them with a hydra laser, and hide behind the tower again without the turret reacting.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 153