Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241372 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2070 on: August 15, 2022, 04:32:13 am »

So the Sky Ninjas have set up shop right close to my main base. I feel like this is going to be a problem.

I'm like on month... 3?4? I haven't managed to get an armed craft yet and have no idea if that means I'm behind schedule.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: August 15, 2022, 05:09:15 am »

I just defended my base from a governement attack armed with plasma weapons.

I lost a bunch of points for killing the hostiles, so the net points from the mission were -1444.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: August 15, 2022, 06:45:15 am »

So the Sky Ninjas have set up shop right close to my main base. I feel like this is going to be a problem.

I'm like on month... 3?4? I haven't managed to get an armed craft yet and have no idea if that means I'm behind schedule.

Neither of those are inherently problematic-- the ninja base being close can actually be a good thing, as it means you can see whenever it does something.

It does, however, mean you might want to manually reroute your flight plans around it, and you'll be subject to a ton of alert spam.

My first attack ship was from using the tiny drill...  Everything else to that point is so weak you're either just shooting tiny, slow civvy ships, or throwing away resources. I do send the starter ship out to follow random things around in case they land though-- may as well take advantage of the free fuel.

I just defended my base from a governement attack armed with plasma weapons.

Huh. I didn't even know the government attacked. How'd you manage to get them so angry at you?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: August 15, 2022, 07:09:04 am »

Probably destroyed enough government UFO to have the dice roll finally trigger a retaliation mission
From memory there's a small chance, how small depends on difficulty level, after each UFO you shoot down that a retaliation mission will start for the faction of the UFO you destroyed.
Though before the actual base assault, there's a bunch of UFO that will look for your base, if they find it (good idea to shoot them down before they do), the assault ship will come.

But there's a 2nd type of retaliation mission that is scripted to occur after certain researches are made, no idea what is the trigger for each xpiratez faction, but i wonder if there's a research that is setup to make the government hostile to you.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: August 16, 2022, 03:40:12 am »

I explicitly avoid destroying government craft, so it's not that. Not that I destroyed any craft in that area.

It is a new base, still under construction. I had to savescum to even get gals there (by aerial transfer), because the Veterans I hired when the barracks were build hadn't even arrived yet. (The Peasants and Bugeyes had)

IIRC, there is a thing in XPiratez, where some of the minor factions can just randomly spot your base and sell the coordinates to a major faction. That may be what happened. It's just annoying that not only they did it with a new base, but also the faction was the one, whom I should not slay.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: August 17, 2022, 01:11:49 pm »

Hold up, final mod pack got an ipdate? I’m sort of surprised.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: August 17, 2022, 04:11:49 pm »

Never noticed that before as i never used the installer that apparently included those for either openxcom or OXCE and didn't on the zip archive :
https://openxcom.org/downloads-extras/

Since OpenXcom depends on the original game data, it also suffers from bugs present in that data like map glitches and problems. To fix these you need to apply a data patch. However, it is recommended you keep a backup of the vanilla game data, in case you start experiencing issues after applying one of these.

What exactly are those data patches :
Quote from: for UFO
This patch covers all fixes to the original X-COM: UFO Defense data that affect OpenXcom, including:
- UFO 1.4 official patch (+ previous versions);
- Combo X-COM Game Folder Patch (by Zombie/Bomb Bloke);
- Various extra fixes by the OpenXcom community.

Quote from: for TftD
This patch covers all community fixes to the original X-COM: Terror From The Deep data that affect OpenXcom.

So it seems that's good to install manually if you don't use the openxcom or oxce installers.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: August 19, 2022, 12:45:18 pm »

I took down a Merc landed ship with my starter bus ship.

Lost a gal, a peasant and a dog, with all the remaining gals injured, but I got 'em. A whole bunch of merc soldiers and merc commandos, though unfortunately I was only able to capture 2 of them; the only weapons I had that really seemed to scratch the paint on them was the gothic raygun, the sledgehammer, the axes and this missle launcher I'd found in a previous mission.

It was a night mission, and they seemed to see better in the dark than I did. Mostly I cheesed them with the doors to their own ship, hiding inside and popping out to hit people with a big lump on a stick.

Too bad I can't actually do anything with any of the stuff I got from it, but I did get 1580 infamy, which is pretty nice.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: August 19, 2022, 02:16:54 pm »

Does anybody have an idea which would be better as my second HWP against a LV3 Ninja Base?

I am certainly taking Mecha/Electrifier, but the second could either be Mecha/Vulcan, or Tank/85mm.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: August 19, 2022, 04:28:28 pm »

the only weapons I had that really seemed to scratch the paint on them was the gothic raygun, the sledgehammer, the axes and this missle launcher I'd found in a previous mission.

As one of the numbered tech hints says, melee can deal with most problems. Last time I faced a merc ship w/hovertanks, I used a 2h axe to kill them. It's not terribly practical, but I like anchors, too. But in general, after a very ugly fight several versions ago where I took 30+ turns to kill the first MarSec Bodyguard I encountered, I've always kept a hammer, great club, spiked mace, and/or various axes in every ship as soon as I can buy/make such things.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: August 19, 2022, 07:27:29 pm »

Does anybody have an idea which would be better as my second HWP against a LV3 Ninja Base?

I am certainly taking Mecha/Electrifier, but the second could either be Mecha/Vulcan, or Tank/85mm.

You're going to be dealing with a row of lightweight turrets and a few midweight ones trained on your starting position... purely based on the need to either have enough firepower to drop them on T1, or the durability to survive, I'd probably go with the tank. My mecha always just crumpled, even having issues on T1 ninja bases.

Remember to take something that can deal with dragon's teeth too, or they'll get stuck after the first row of defenses... preferably carried on somebody, in case somebody throws a grenade onto your equipment pile.  ::)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 07, 2022, 08:46:28 am »

I noticed OXCE 7.7 had been released near the end of August

Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

The "Export from a real game into a New Battle game" sounds interesting for adding your campaign squads into the battle mode.
There will be a new button, which allows you to import the currently selected base and craft into the New Battle file, see screenshot.

Button appears only if:
- debug mode is enabled
- craft can hold crew and is able to land
- it's the first craft in a given base (if you want to use another craft, use R-click to move crafts up in the list of crafts)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 08:52:51 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: October 02, 2022, 04:57:50 pm »

Anybody have any tips for getting into XCF after XPZ?

I'm finding going from XPZ difficulty 2 to XCF difficulty 1 to be downright boring early on (a lot of 1 cultist missions), but should I just advance storyline techs to advance to where it ramps up?? And how big a deal are base assaults-- should it be more or less safe to open up minimally defended research outposts, or should I wait until I can field an army and maintain air superiority before doing so?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: October 03, 2022, 09:18:55 am »

You'll find that XCF is easier than XPZ at equal difficulty.

Spoiler: Spoilers for XCF game (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: October 04, 2022, 03:51:24 am »

New version of the 40K mod has been released , it's been a while since the last one (i think it was last year)
https://openxcom.mod.io/40k

The Rosigma expansion also updated to follow up
https://openxcom.mod.io/rosigma

Both the mod and its expansion requires OXCE 7.7.3
I'll have to check this new version, but without Rosigma this time, too many unbalanced content in this one, i just hope 40K changed its grenade range to be similar to Rosigma, as before in 40K it was grenade spam every turns and less use of the other weapons.

edit : toyed a bit with the new 40K mod (without Rosigma) and i really prefer how 40K select a main enemy faction active instead of "every enemy factions are active at the same time" in Rosigma .

The grenade range is unchanged from past 40K version, but oddly i have not seen grenade spam in the several battles i went through (my main enemy seems to be the Orks) , sure my Scouts marines (as i selected Space Marines as my factino) got under grenade shots but most of the time it wasn't a dozen of them, maybe the Orks troops have less grenades, will have to see on terror missions involving other factions.

But what i didn't remembered are the armor system, Rosigma expansion had the armors way stronger than in the 40K mod, by example Scout armor is paper thin in 40K.
On a terror mission (that involved khorne chaos space marines) both my MK7 equipped Space Marines (so a good armor) got one shot killed by plasma (something not rare in Rosigma either), but what surprised me is that several CSM also got murdered by my scouts wielding their Godwin Bolters, something nearly impossible with Rosigma.

So it looks like everything is weaker in 40K , not too bad considering in Rosigma the presence of only a couple of CSM was mostly a "you should retreat from the mission" due to them being nearly impossible to kill with bolters (while most of them had high end weapon one shotting your best troops)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 12:21:45 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 153