Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241520 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »

You know, APOC was actually the first Xcom game I played. I wouldn't have tried the first two ones if it hadnt stopped working for my computer. And I'd have missed out, IMO

APOC's battlescape engine was clearly superior, but I find the strategic game wanting. Single city, etc...

Also, back when I first played it, I was very young and had not played anything but rts games. So I ran rts games in APOC. In rts you run through clips like crazy. This, combined with the ridiculously low supply of items you can purchase, meant that I often ended up doing alien hunts using only grenades and handguns because there was nothing else left...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2015, 08:15:28 am »

If you're running apoc in real time you need to always use prone position and aimed shots, otherwise you can run out of ammo in no time.
But theres something to be said for dual wielding automatic mode chain guns, just bring plenty of ammo.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2015, 09:42:26 am »

Apoc really was not designed for turn based mode. Poppers that could run in from offscreen on their turn and detonate. Brainsuckers were launched near your troops on the enemy turn, hatched and on that same turn could easily brainsuck your troops.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2015, 10:15:22 am »

Yea turn based mode was hardcore.   Didn't stop me from playing it that way but against brainsuckers I did abuse the prone brainsucker exploit ruthlessly. (If a brainsucker tried to attack a prone target it would jump into the air over the target's head and promptly knock itself out for a very long time if not permanently)  It required preplanning but worked.  Against poppers I would usually just hear their distinct noise on turn one and go into a spread out reaction fire formation.  Exactly how I treated cryssalids in xcom1.

There was one weapon in the xcom arsenel that was made downright deadly in turn based mode though.  The plasma sword.  Just like the poppers, there was very little the aliens could do when you ran one really fast guy with a plasma sword into a room and started chopping things in half. Especially when they start carrying disruptors and every humanoid alien isn't a pile of brainsuckers waiting to touch the floor.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:18:40 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2015, 11:19:26 am »

OpenApoc is something that's being worked on, BTW.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »

Yes but it's far greener than OpenTFTD, let alone OpenXCOM.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2015, 03:12:27 am »

I am having a bitch of a time getting open xcom to work. I've tried like a few different source files and they arent working for whatever reason.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2015, 09:54:05 am »

I am having a bitch of a time getting open xcom to work. I've tried like a few different source files and they arent working for whatever reason.
Describe what you are doing, and we'll try to point out what is going wrong for you. If you have a legitimate modern copy of X-Com, the installation process for the latest nightly should be straightforward. Unzip the nightly, copy the datafolders from the game into the UFO folder. The README.txt in the UFO folder should tell you which datafolders specifically you should have there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2015, 07:41:30 am »

Apoc interface is quite bad. That's the thing that stops me from trying.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2015, 01:36:00 am »

I'm trying to install on 10.7 Mac OS. I have the files from my source copied correctly into the package's data folder. I went through and applied the universal patch from the website, which I believe I used correctly. Seem to be just copying file content over.

And I'm getting:
error gmdefend not found

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2015, 02:05:43 am »

Gmdefend is a music track. You might be using a bad game copy, check the SOUND folder.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2015, 03:33:32 am »

Gmdefend is a music track. You might be using a bad game copy, check the SOUND folder.
And thank you, its working now.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2015, 10:22:48 am »

I have a problem.

There are no researches available
The aliens continue to progress to larger and larger ships
Elerium supplies are running low.
None of the three bases i've raided had anything like a "commander"

What do?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2015, 10:44:37 am »

I have a problem.

There are no researches available
The aliens continue to progress to larger and larger ships
Elerium supplies are running low.
None of the three bases i've raided had anything like a "commander"

What do?
Start a new game? Bear in mind that unlike newCom, in oldCom commander didn't look any different and could only be (100%) identified with a mind-probe (grey sphere thingy.) Although they did spawn in the command room and had a tendency to still be there by the time you arrived.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

Are the commanders Ethereal? I assumed the bastards were Ethereals.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 153