Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241620 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1650 on: October 03, 2021, 02:20:44 am »

Would you be using a corpse to resurrect a fallen brother?

The only issue with it is that while it tracks corpses, once a corpse is dead, it does not track which corpse is which. So even if a guy get's blown up, you could resurrect him with another person's corpse.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 03, 2021, 06:36:25 am »

Would you be using a corpse to resurrect a fallen brother?

The only issue with it is that while it tracks corpses, once a corpse is dead, it does not track which corpse is which. So even if a guy get's blown up, you could resurrect him with another person's corpse.

Yes, but it tracks what type of corpse died.  So it can differentiate between the Space Marine (and variant) corpses and other corpses.
But I'm not going to program it, so it's just an idea and if nobody else "gets it", then whatever.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 03, 2021, 08:30:45 am »

Technically, it is the armor that gets an assigned corpse item, not the unit. And I do not think the game remembers what armor a soldier died in.

But even if only Marine armors were usable as assets for the resurrection, the issue I see is that even if a corpse is lost, you could substitute any other Marines' corpse for it.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 03, 2021, 08:41:19 am »

Geneseed harvesting isn't resurrection. You don't need to know who it comes from, really. That would make a system for getting dreadnauts harder though.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 03, 2021, 04:11:43 pm »

For stuff like dreadnoughts and the like, aren’t there already systems for that kind of resurrection-adjacent stuff? I know XPiratez in the later parts lets you revive dead guys into a “ghost”-type class.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 04, 2021, 03:50:27 am »

I know there is resurrection in XPiratez and in XCom Files.

If geneseed is would be making a new advanced Marine (through workshop), or upgrading an existing unit (through training), then ok.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #1656 on: October 04, 2021, 09:00:07 am »

Hello people,

Would you share a summary of your feelings about each "big mods" ?

- OXCE, cannot play ever again without it, i think...

- XPiratez, i like the idea, but it’s a bit of a mess, and the guy behind it is not very open minded, to say the least... The first big mod i tried years ago, tried several times, i like the idea but i cannot really seem to actually enjoy playing it.

- X-Com Files, really love the premices, i like having less units, less tech, and the slow growth, but i found it "too" slow and very difficult. Played it first time in 2021.

- Unexcom, didn’t try yet, but it seems there is a lot of units vs lot of units, in this one. I don’t like much having many units. In this kind of games (tactical turn based), i prefer to deal with 4-8 elite units, more than a lot of almost random ones.

- 40k (+ Rosigma) Only started recently, seems to be high difficulty and as a no-expert in 40k some stuff are confusing but overall i enjoy it

Other big stuff i’ve missed ?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 04, 2021, 09:41:40 am »

My feelings about these

OXCE: Well, I could play without it, as I have the DOS versions and DOSBox, but I do not want to.
XPiratez: Kaizo X-Com. The deck is stacked very badly against you. It seems to me like Dioxine expects you to savescum. Won once, currently going through again.
X-Com Files: A nice modpack. It is like a longer version of the base game. Won once.
UneXcom: Playable, not overly good. Played and won earlier this year.
40K: I could never get very well into it. I find it interesting how most weapons bust armor.

TWoTS: Tried it, did not complete.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 04, 2021, 11:07:08 am »

I love XPiratez a lot. One of my biggest likes in all gaming is that sense of proper progression. It’s the reason why XCOM games are easily my favorite games. I love it when you can really see and feel your character and allies grow and become more powerful.
XPiratez is that on steroids. While it is oblique and weird, it has such immense progression. You start as a group of near-illiterate “pirates” hiding in a cave and progress to what’s effectively your own civilization and nation and beyond.

That being said, it’d be life if the creator and community was… less eccentric, to put it generously.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 06, 2021, 01:58:14 pm »

I've been giving it another go, and wow early game progression keeps getting more confusing.  I do like the "We Need Craft Weapons" outlining four viable paths towards early air power, though I'm not sure how viable they are.  Particularly the "Little Bird" chopper.  What am I supposed to do with a slooooow weaponized transport?  For all the buildup, I was expecting something that could at least catch civilian traffic.  The best I can think of is putting spike balls on it and praying it can survive getting ambushed by an enemy patrol, but it's not a great transport.  I somehow doubt the unreplaceable cannon is particularly good either.

I'm a little salty because I started a easy difficulty run and got chastised for not beelining Personal Labs fast enough, then got reminded (in year two) that I was missing out on content by choosing easiest.  My fault for forgetting, but bah. 

At least I'm navigating the tech tree better this time, except for lacking a stapler.  Last run I got plenty of Warehouse Wars, a wrench-tech from Male Touch->TRUCKS anyway, and also got a very early mad Gnome - but I didn't need the wrench or stapler because I built two more extractors, a runt-rush build I used to like which lets you use the drill without having a workshop.  Had bad luck with Mutant Alliance tokens for allying and unlocking the Library, but I could have just used the gnome instead (except that I feel strongly for the Mutant Alliance.

This time around, no gnome, no stapler.  Personal Labs will finish in May though which seems reasonably fast.  I went ahead and sold the Little Bird in disgust though.  I needed the hangar space *ASAP* for the Blowfish (or an Expedition, just some way to reach Underwater Adventures) and I simply couldn't find a use for it...  Just wasted some chemicals chasing things.  The purchasable Big Bird, on the other hand, could be alright with its 12 seats as a pre-Turtle...  But without underwater capability.

It's a shame because I want to play with the cool helicopters ):  (And yet I'm sure the Battlescape layouts are even more vulnerable than the Airbus)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 06, 2021, 04:18:31 pm »

In a prior version, Little Bird w/o built-in cannon was weird - you could shoot some stuff down once it slowed to cruising speed, or if it was Necropiratez or ground traffic, and it was lovely for killing wandering invaders looking for your base on foot. But overall, it was hard to find a use for.

I'm still chugging along off and on at my [current version - 2] game I started this past March - it's late November 2602, and while I've shot down a couple of lesser Star God & merc ships, plus stormed a merc base, it still doesn't feel endgamey. Probably b/c I've strenuously avoided a handful of tech advances - I still haven't studied *MUTANT ALLIANCE*, and there are some other "affects story progression" ones I've also skipped. The pace feels incredibly different compared to past runs, and I have to say being warned about techs causing progress makes a huge difference compared to the olden stumbling-blindly days.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 06, 2021, 08:30:40 pm »

While I love the basic allegory of "a stapler can get you places, keep your paperwork in order", or even "there's a lot of things you can make/ modify/ fix with a decent staple gun", I think that locking so much of the game up behind it is a bit silly.

There's quite a lot you can achieve with a bottle of vodka, or rum, or a decent communication device, if used correctly. Incorrectly, problems occur. But then again, even a stapler can be used poorly, just like anything else. Probably best not to cause too many problems in your research path due to the lack of one.

(Suprisingly enough, I do have my paperwork in order. I simply don't need a stapler for it, due to the minimisation of it throughout my life, as well as technology and delegation not locking away the world from me from the lack of one. Although, I probably could use enough study paperwork at some point that one may be required soon :) )
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:35:12 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 07, 2021, 04:00:12 pm »

then got reminded (in year two) that I was missing out on content by choosing easiest.  My fault for forgetting, but bah. 

Wait, what? I mean I know the hardest difficulty has some additional scripted !!FUN!! for a while now, but are there now significant chunks of gated content by difficulty setting?

I was thinking of doing another campaign run after a little over a year away, but this sounds rather vexing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 07, 2021, 04:59:00 pm »

Yeah, here are the specific messages (I only got the first one):

So, maybe some of the weirder stuff like the Shadowrealms?  I've also been pestered by the Red Eyed Menace midway through year one, though she isn't angry yet so no bunker busters.  That didn't happen on easiest difficulty even into year 2, so that's presumably gated "content".
(I'm pretty sure I'm going to mod out the building-destruction property of the bunker-busting missiles like I did previvously.  There's an interesting if dangerous side effect, probably a good thing on the whole but certainly more fun.  It's certainly better than losing priceless buildings after building multiple defenses and getting unlucky)

Speaking of getting unlucky, my Blowfish got caught by a random interceptor and was, of course, destroyed.  I nearly lost an hour of progress (Sure the gals survive, which is nice, but screw figuring out which equipment to repurchase).  Fortunately I'd been testing stuff with a manual save so I was fine.  What a bizarre mechanic, though.  What - am I supposed to have it follow the Little Bird to *every mission*, at an absolute crawl?  I almost have the Codex ships but the interceptors show up before that's seriously possible.  In other words, yeah this game is seriously balanced around save-scumming.  I tend to restrict myself to the 5-turn autosaves which feels about right.  Maybe if the stealth mechanics had any UI indication - It's not even easy to tell if you count as lit, much less whether your in any given enemy's sight range.  So open field battles suck since even enemy grunts have nonsensical Firing and on-par armor.  And most of the landing craft are intentionally perforated with windows.  /rant

I really like the graphical effect of the lasers now!  I assume that's OpenX-Com.  I also don't remember being able to jump from the research overview to the bases' lab screens, that's a nice touch.  (I get to the overview by hitting "volume down" - I don't question it)

And maybe I just never noticed this before, but research topics have a large random factor in how many brainer-days they take!  It'll even change between interrogating the same captive.  It's probably old: I had noticed that "excellent" research often takes more than three days, and I think that prediction is based on the unmodified point cost.  And here I thought I was just losing track of how many days I'd been researching things.  Oh well, it's not like this mod requires extreme amounts of power-gaming :P

OH I almost forgot about the gambling changes!  I like the Jack Token cost being frontloaded.  Grinding all blue chips into gambling was profitable but really tedious, and the token-requiring coupons were mostly unimportant until the mid-late game (good money, but boring).  Now I'm occasionally getting some gold weapons along with all the useful shotguns and such.  It might be a while before I get Jack's plasma-bayonets and whatnot, but that's fine by me - it actually feels a bit like gambling instead of just grinding!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 07, 2021, 05:38:43 pm »

Speaking of getting unlucky, my Blowfish got caught by a random interceptor and was, of course, destroyed.  I nearly lost an hour of progress (Sure the gals survive, which is nice, but screw figuring out which equipment to repurchase).

Wait, your gals survived getting shot out the air?

Honestly, if you can repurchase your equipment, then you're doing fine.  But yeah, setting new loadouts (what to bring?!) can suck across all mods.  Still haven't figured out the weapons for 40K, and they are more similar than the hodgepodge of X-Piratez.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 153