Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241733 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1590 on: April 03, 2021, 03:05:49 am »

I have been playing WH40K mod for some time now and had no trouble with crashes.

I am using OXCE 6.9.1, 32-bit, with WH40K version 029.

1)Mod IO does wrongly state version 6.8.3. That is true.
2) Well, I never saw enemies spawning in the middle of the mission. It should be possible though. No crashes from bad captures, as far as I remember.
4) How does everybody keep meeting orcs? I keep finding Traitor guards, Khornites, Slaaneshites and cultists. (In that order of frequency)
5) What? You only detected a UFO after a terror mission? The traitor guards keep riding around in Chimeras for me, sometimes also flying in planes.

Now, what I have a problem with is the ridiculous times it takes to repair my aircraft. As they have hundreds of HP and often take a beating, it usually takes days to repair them. And with the number of traitor guard chimeras and planes, it leaves them free globe, as all my planes are being repaired.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 03, 2021, 06:20:42 am »

Enemies can spawn during a mission in WH40K (cult ritual/human sacrifices completed summon a bunch of demons if you can't kill all the cultists in the ritual building before a set amount of turns by example) .

For the orks, i got them in a Space Hulk mission and only once in a crashed ufo, most of my missions are vs cultist or chaos stuff (maybe related to playing for the space marine faction ?).

For the version,  i also played with the latest OXCE ( 6.9.10 at the time i did ) + the latest WH40K ( 0.29 too at the time) without problems or any crashes (and i had fought a very lot of ritual/sacrifices missions as it was the majority of mission popping up for me).
But make sure to do this editing as there's a source of crash in WH40K  0.29 as i mentionned a page or two ago :
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg136433.html#msg136433

I don't use any additional mod like the sisters one, so maybe if you still crash often try removing additional mods like this one regardless of what faction you're playing.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 03, 2021, 06:26:04 am »

There is no way to not have a crash in 0.29 if basic "Cultist Ritualist" gets captured.
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_CULTIST_RITUALIST_SACRIFICES
    size: 0.0
    recover: true
    liveAlien: false
    costSell: 30000
    listOrder: 20000
liveAlien is set to true by default. It's not from sisters mod. And it's known by moderators - https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg137211.html#msg137211
Thanks for range bug fix.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:40:43 am by lastverb »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 03, 2021, 07:22:43 am »

I never intentionally captured one , that could explain why i never had that crash.

But you mention cultist not bleeding out are considered captured and so will trigger that crash.
Considering the enormous amount of those cultist ritual missions it's very odd i didn't ran into this specific situation, i guess despite all my troops and expensive armors lost in there, i had some kind of luck if all those guys always were killed.

Anyways it's great the devs are aware and will fix.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 03, 2021, 08:01:00 am »

It seems I also never captured the ritualist, so hence the lack of crash.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 04, 2021, 05:13:54 am »

XPiratez had a new update, I started a new game on it. The early game balance feels much better than a few updates ago.
Oh, it actually has balance now?  That is an improvement!  :P

I'm not actually sure if it's any more balanced, but the early game on L8 certainly feels easier. All of my deaths so far were due to 'gameplay' reasons (ie, 'too lazy to spend 20 turns leapfrogging with overwatch, so I'm going to have everybody scatter to look for the last guy and load once I find it')

The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that the annoying maps are a lot smaller-- ratmen villages, instead of being a 'ghetto maze', consisted of a large raised base, a small raised watchtower, and an outbuilding or two. I'm hoping that the tenement map (with the room that HAS NO DOOR) is gone too.

Edit: I take it back. The first mission I took a cannon on, I reaction-fired across the map... straight into the back of the head of my strongest melee gal. orz
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 05:15:42 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 04, 2021, 05:27:50 am »

Didn't noticed there was a L8 update, as at the time amjh posted about it, that new update was L7, thanks for mentionning that.
2 new XPiratez updates in a month, that's impressive as from what i read there's a lot of new in L8

I had just started a new L7 game a couple of week ago, time to restart in L8 then :)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 04, 2021, 08:19:54 am »

Holy. Preppers are way tougher than I remembered from K2; this last map had two guys with grenade launchers, one heavy machine gun-type weapon, and some sniper on the roof that could one-shot through warrior armor.

I'd say that was the first legit 'hard' fight I had so far. My first prepper map was easy-ish since I covered the front entrance in flames and punched in through the side, but this second one was just ridiculous. Guess I need to invest more in heavy ordinance.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 04, 2021, 08:22:10 am »

Just wondering, anyone have the stats available for Handcannon Shot from L7? I'm away from PC. I already love those guns, so if they can now shield whomp/ do a bit of light anti-personnel as a shotgun too, goody!

Nevermind, found it. ( 16 + Bravery×0.075 ) ×4
PIERCING

So, like 20.5x4 piercing with a 60 bravery gal. Not actually all that good. Hmmmppphhhh. Still, you can unload all four shots in a turn if you're feeling risky, so it's not exactly an auto-shotgun, but it's not terrible. Only need Merchants contacts to buy, so, yeah. Whatever. Scales up to 23.5 damage at 100 Bravery, but at only four pellets, it's nothing to write home about. I guess 46/69% TU for 8 or 12 pellets gives it a look-in, but watch for that reaction fire. And the terrible (for a shotgun) accuracy. Only 23% for a quick zing is nice for doorway peek-a-boo too. But hey, infiltration missions are a thing, and having a shotgun'y roomsweeper option ain't bad if you're already lugging around a Handcannon anyway. Now that explosive ammo is off the table until Hellerium Munitions gets researched (boo!), at least they've retained some versatility. Kind of. I guess scraping 20-80pts off a shield and ducking back away is a potential use. Or hoping they wound something into unconsciouness. Or being a semi-safe shotgun around your gals, sort of.... Meh.
(Huge spread of 45 ("normal shotguns" are 25-30), with only 4 pellets, mean they'll hit anything. Or nothing. Unless you're really close up. This is vaguely, but not really, altered by the 15/20m snap/aimed ranges of a Handcannon, which is nearly double-long for a shotgun. Basically, it's still bad. Assume it's a 4-pellet 6/8m range shotgun, with poor damage, from what I can see. Essentially it's a four shot super-bird-shotter, kind of, but you can try for longer shots if you want, and don't expect to hit that often, or damage too much. Possibly better than that, but maybe not. Might be good for accuracy training though 😜.
Should also look pretty amazing on Defense reaction-fire, snap shotting with a couple of gals crouching with them. Dumb early stuff like shambler or bug hunts. 23%TU snap with a 15m range/45 spread/4 pellet shotgun might not be effective, but reaction fire should still happen pretty far away. "Take that, explosive barrel, that was nowhere near my original target! You too, doorway, that I'm just short of damage to destroy!". Better than literally any other weapon? No. But you shouldn't accidentally kill them, and it should look cool 😁).

At least we've still got proper Handcannon rounds for early game stuff. Inaccurate, but hit rather hard. And Assault Cannons/ Grenade Launchers for when actual explodey stuff is needed. Saves too many niches getting filled by a starter weapon, no matter how poorly it does it (HE Handcannon rounds were a bit *too good* that early, for a one-handed weapon, I will admit).

Very useful page this one though, for when you are away from a computer:
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_SLUGGA
(Seems current, up to L7 at least)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:34:24 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 04, 2021, 11:59:47 am »

Ok. Think I've found a theoretical good use for Handcannon Shot.

Standard capture-enemies melee girl, with a handle early on. Also carrying a Handcannon and normal rounds on belt/leg, but it's loaded with shot for now.  You run around the corner you've been hiding behind and spot an enemy right there. It has more than zero armour or a bit of HP.

Is it worthwhile blowing 23%TU for the opportunity of 1-4 pellets landing, thus giving your gal the opportunity to gain both firing skill (they probably won't die anyway, but it'll only count as one shot no matter how many pellets hit) before you KO them anyway. You're only a reload away to make enemies you have to kill at range doable, while not having to mess around in inventory too much.

Sort of a "firing skill" nerf pistol to use, but you can put proper ammo in it too. Eventually explodey or psi-weird ammo. While not having to take up a fairly fast equipment slot for a spare crappy pistol, or accidentally killing anything you don't want to, and retaining all your KO or niche equipment/weapons in your other hand.

So yeah. It's like nerf gun ammo, but you can use Handcannons for other stuff too. And a hit's a hit when you're training your gals.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:04:39 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 04, 2021, 08:29:22 pm »

Fun fact: They implemented the "Kidnap {spoiler}" mission since I last played.
Further fun fact:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: May 04, 2021, 10:19:33 pm »

What?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:01 am »

Fun fact: They implemented the "Kidnap {spoiler}" mission since I last played.
Further fun fact:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That second fact has been know for a while...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 05, 2021, 03:26:18 pm »

Of course, but jesus.
Good mission (minus the obligatory "enemies hidden in walls" but that's expected) but man. Man.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 12, 2021, 04:01:12 am »

Has anyone modded personality into the soldiers?

Edit: you know, if they haven't i could try playing this with AI Dungeon...

With all these mods it could be the perfect chaotic squad game.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:31:00 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 153