Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241982 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1485 on: May 01, 2020, 06:10:41 pm »

And the size of weapons only matters if you plan to equip something different. It was uncommon enough when I was playing that I never minded (although packing a rocket launcher on most gals for tanks was a pain).

I change my equipment all the time.

...Usually to first aid kits.  :'(

That's fine, as long as both are one-handed.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 01, 2020, 08:03:34 pm »

That reminds me, does the game get harder as you unlock new mission types via research, or as time progresses? I'd hate to corner myself in bone alley if my research was too slow and the ambient aliums got too powerful.

Generally speaking, by research. Any research with !Name! unlocks new missions. You can also mclick a research and see if it says 'Affects game progression', though the implications of that are more vague.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 01, 2020, 09:54:15 pm »

If I recall there are some time limits imposed on certain threats - i.e. X threat doesn't pop up for the first Y months - but those are more about preventing an early-game ganking by horrible things what bump in the night. (Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, in which case I believe big bad threats are guaranteed to try to gank you early.)

It is generally as Aoi says. The researches that affect game progression tend to be somewhat logical, especially since certain interrogation researches require having done certain missions types.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 01, 2020, 10:05:21 pm »

If I recall there are some time limits imposed on certain threats - i.e. X threat doesn't pop up for the first Y months - but those are more about preventing an early-game ganking by horrible things what bump in the night. (Unless you're playing on the highest difficulty, in which case I believe big bad threats are guaranteed to try to gank you early.)

I thought the only difference was that the lowest and highest have hidden stat modifiers, and each tier has increasing numbers of hostiles? (And I'm certain that I've seen somebody else say that Dioxine was basically like "I don't balance for the highest difficulty in mind so if you have any complaints about it, shove it.", so unless it's something in OXCE itself, I don't think there'd be timing changes.)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 02, 2020, 01:23:27 am »

I thought the only difference was that the lowest and highest have hidden stat modifiers, and each tier has increasing numbers of hostiles? (And I'm certain that I've seen somebody else say that Dioxine was basically like "I don't balance for the highest difficulty in mind so if you have any complaints about it, shove it.", so unless it's something in OXCE itself, I don't think there'd be timing changes.)

Not at all from personal experience - I personally play on difficulty 2 or 3 - but that's been my impression from the Discord chatter. Also from some of the new/upcoming pedia entries.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yes, while Dioxine does do some fiddling with the highest difficulty it is not at all the intended difficulty. It is intended to be unbalanced and sadistic for people who like to min-max the heck out of the mechanics and AI.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:26:03 am by Dostoevsky »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 02, 2020, 06:20:37 am »

That reminds me, does the game get harder as you unlock new mission types via research, or as time progresses? I'd hate to corner myself in bone alley if my research was too slow and the ambient aliums got too powerful.
Micro gets progressively worse AND necessary. Shit, looks like i'm dropping another playtrough about at Nightmare inetrceptor, because it takes at least 5 crafting operations (to craft lower level suits) to craft high level armor.  ::) Things like that. And i strongly feel that crafting firearms is almost totally unnecessary until proper\high level laser weapons, and then it's "craft your things or GTFO". Probably from hard to come by stuff and while juggling junk around at least two bases.
EDIT: Checked my things. The thing to break trough obscene star god red shields is EMP, not laser. Laser is actually the worst. At least crafting Fatty is off the list.  :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:34:22 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 02, 2020, 06:54:59 pm »

I like the micro! Which is weird, considering I usually despise it in games. It just makes XPiratez feel a whole lot more... deep? I guess?
Like as annoying as it is to have to research full plate mail to get power tools and therefore you need to research longbows and a riot shield, the sheer quantity of content in every direction is really fun to mess around with. Though the armor crafting stuff can definitely be annoying. For some insane reason I do kind of like it but I also hate it and easily understand not liking it at all. I have seen a minimod in the XPiratez board though that streamlines armor crafting process, for those interested in that.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 03, 2020, 11:53:27 am »

What's the weight threshold for a melee weapon to be training reactions though?

I don't think there is a weight limit. It is a TU limit afaik, everything that takes 12 or fewer TU trains reactions.

I like the micro! Which is weird, considering I usually despise it in games. It just makes XPiratez feel a whole lot more... deep? I guess?
Like as annoying as it is to have to research full plate mail to get power tools and therefore you need to research longbows and a riot shield, the sheer quantity of content in every direction is really fun to mess around with. Though the armor crafting stuff can definitely be annoying. For some insane reason I do kind of like it but I also hate it and easily understand not liking it at all. I have seen a minimod in the XPiratez board though that streamlines armor crafting process, for those interested in that.

There is a mod for streamlined armor manufacturing that just lets you build the whole thing from the basic materials.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 03, 2020, 12:03:27 pm »

What's the weight threshold for a melee weapon to be training reactions though?

I don't think there is a weight limit. It is a TU limit afaik, everything that takes 12 or fewer TU trains reactions.

...Uh. Yeah. Looking back on that post, i have no idea what I was thinking when I posted 'weight'. For some reason I thought it was like 8TU though, which is why stun batons are particularly good compared to almost every melee weapon.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 05, 2020, 02:37:45 pm »

I've discovered the wonder that is the lightning tome. Sure, it takes extraordinary amounts of energy but it's insane. Extreme amounts of warp damage, which is one of the best damage types versus anything armored. Taking down a cyberdisc in one turn? Sure! One-hitting bodyguards? Yup! Becoming god and having the enemy fear your smites? You got it!
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 23, 2020, 01:49:34 am »

Update dropped. Game now shows if your (or enemies') miserable flailing has dealt any damage. Peasants with more than 40 whateverinnatevoodoostat can be given 10 more of it and +3 night vision with some mushrooms. Some random junk. Still no Ilia kidnapping mission.  >:(
EDIT: Holy shit, x-vampiress got 100\100 voodoo! She can posess anything!
EDIT2: So, pretty much the only thing that blocks higher studies is "implosion bomb launcher". Where do i get one? And magical girl, for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:29:15 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 23, 2020, 08:09:41 am »

You get a magical girl from pink ships. They'll sometimes fly around starting around the late-midgame I'd say.

Implosion bomb launcher are carried by bombers and sometimes by marsec viper fighters.
Both are tough fights in the air.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 23, 2020, 05:29:43 pm »

Marsec Viper Fighters are also important since as far as I know they're the only source of marsec lasers which are essential for some research.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 23, 2020, 05:38:42 pm »

Marsec Viper Fighters are also important since as far as I know they're the only source of marsec lasers which are essential for some research.
Oh yes, they are. Oh yes, i didn't seen a viper fighter in a while. Oh yes, my gauss cannons can't even penetrate bomber's armor, so i need to replace the plane for the one that can carry plasma cannon.  ::)
Rest of the sigs

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 24, 2020, 02:59:03 am »

Craft Lascannons and Plasma Spitters are light weapons as well. But you shouldn't just send one ship against either bombers or viper fighters.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 153