Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241979 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1470 on: April 22, 2020, 07:19:48 pm »

I was watching Meridian's play through, and some sniper weapons now do 50%-200% damage (this was the Custom Sniper Rifle's ammo, but that uses somewhat normal sniper type ammo I think. Could be wrong). This is essentially the best of all worlds. Always do some damage if you hit, but can always roll a lot higher too. It also does 2x shots, so there's a pretty good chance one of them will hit.

The HVAP rounds for the gun were doing 64+0.2*Firing, which is very nice indeed (with the standard sniper 0.01*firing squared accuracy modifier).

So yeah, check the analysis tab for your weapons. There's some doozies.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:36:47 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 26, 2020, 07:49:47 am »

In the inventory screen, hold the ALT burton and mouse over the item you wanna check. If you’ve researched it, the damage range should show up. Useful if you wanna check if a weapon that gets its damage boosted by a stat is actually benefiting from that gal’s stat.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 30, 2020, 01:09:13 pm »

Chakram are in the new update of X-piratez, pretty early in the tech tree. 16 range throwing weapon with a good amount of daze damage, enough to stun unarmored enemies in one hit from a swabbie.
Oh, awesome. Sounds like my  archery squad can finally inflict some nonlethal damage.

Just did a prepper camp with 8 gals armed with chakrams... 4 of the humies died outright to chakram hits, 2 went down with wounds, and 1 started taking daze damage. And this is while I'm still training them for ranged damage.

...I decided it wasn't worth bothering with trying to make this a capture mission since they seemed to be more 'decapitating ring of death' than 'Captain America knocks you out', so I just lobbed in a few explosives to blow apart the camp instead.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 30, 2020, 03:26:19 pm »

I've just discovered the wonder that is spiked maces and don't know how I survived before. Friendship ended with ranged weapons. Now spiked mace & handle is best friend.
But seriously. Extreme amounts of armor damage and regular damage to the point where it can pretty much reliably kill practically every enemy in 1-2 hits regardless of their so-called "defenses". AND it's 1-handed? What?? I know this isn't news to people who aren't me but holy shit.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 30, 2020, 05:06:54 pm »

I've just discovered the wonder that is spiked maces and don't know how I survived before. Friendship ended with ranged weapons. Now spiked mace & handle is best friend.
But seriously. Extreme amounts of armor damage and regular damage to the point where it can pretty much reliably kill practically every enemy in 1-2 hits regardless of their so-called "defenses". AND it's 1-handed? What?? I know this isn't news to people who aren't me but holy shit.

It kills enemies, which reduces your loot. It's good for extra-tough enemies (power armor?), though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 30, 2020, 05:56:09 pm »

It's something I put in every ship once I learn how to make it - the first out-of-depth encounter with Guild bodyguards or something like that makes you grateful to have something like that available.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 30, 2020, 06:43:04 pm »

IIRC Combat Bow Stun Arrows can be developed fairly early on (I think the topic to research it appears as soon as you research Violence, though maybe it's actually once you get to "Primitive Weapons").

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 30, 2020, 07:56:55 pm »

Yeah the killing enemies bit can be annoying. Especially since it often one-hits enemies so no hitting them >=1 times to soften them up for stun weapons either. Usually. But it's a godsend for enemies with armor that you don't need to capture. Namely Osiron Security. It's absolutely hilarious fighting them with spiked maces. Walk up to them, bap them on the head, they collapse into a bloody heap, move onto the next target. They're pretty much consistently useful for the entire game, and as said are great to have for when you encounter enemies you're not prepared for.

At this point my standard loadout is just a handle in one hand, and a spiked mace in the other. Then some more situational stuff (namely: cattle prod for daze-resistant enemies or RPG for cyberdisks/tanks/armored cars) in the backpack. Insanely useful. Run up to enemies, and if you can't handle-stun them then either gamble on evasion or use the other hand to eliminate them with the mace. In my current run I haven't actually used guns so far thanks to this absolutely wonderful combo.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 30, 2020, 09:25:32 pm »

Handles, not stun batons or slaver's canes? I usually dump my handles as soon as I get stun batons, and upgrade to slaver's canes when I open them up, for non-lethal melee options.

And where on earth does sectoweed come from nowadays? I admit I'm playing super conservative with my mission unlocks, but I haven't seen any yet and it's early 2602 already.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 30, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »

Yeah I used to switch immediately to stun batons (I do switch to slavers’ canes when available, though the 2x2 inventory size is annoying) but handles get insanely powerful with Uber-level strength+bravery.

I’m not sure how it works out with TU/energy usage, but quick napkin math suggested handles can do a lot more damage. Could be wrong, but if so I’m not off by a huge amount I’m sure

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: May 01, 2020, 12:30:35 am »

Yeah I used to switch immediately to stun batons (I do switch to slavers’ canes when available, though the 2x2 inventory size is annoying) but handles get insanely powerful with Uber-level strength+bravery.

I’m not sure how it works out with TU/energy usage, but quick napkin math suggested handles can do a lot more damage. Could be wrong, but if so I’m not off by a huge amount I’m sure

You're right; normalized for TU, assuming a fully trained gal, handles do something like 30% more damage than stun batons, but they also take a much larger armor penalty (whereas batons get a bonus). Slaver's canes are still better by like 15%, but they're an annoying 2x2 and take more TU.

What's the weight threshold for a melee weapon to be training reactions though?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 01, 2020, 12:39:38 am »

And where on earth does sectoweed come from nowadays? I admit I'm playing super conservative with my mission unlocks, but I haven't seen any yet and it's early 2602 already.

In the playthrough I last started, it's February of the first year and I have 1 unit in storage. Pretty sure I've unlocked no new mission types. The only mission styles I've done so far are Shipwrecked Gal, Blood Rituals (Doom troops), Ratman Rodeo, Watchtower (Church and Guild), Save a Sister, and the early ambulance chasing.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 01, 2020, 01:04:21 am »

In the playthrough I last started, it's February of the first year and I have 1 unit in storage. Pretty sure I've unlocked no new mission types. The only mission styles I've done so far are Shipwrecked Gal, Blood Rituals (Doom troops), Ratman Rodeo, Watchtower (Church and Guild), Save a Sister, and the early ambulance chasing.

Lucky-- I have six total from getting lucky and shooting down two reticulan ships in the last half hour or so. Two more ships and I can finally build a Sectoweed Plantation and be free of this insanity. (What's kind of funny is that I got a gnome and guild stapler all in the first month, which are usually headaches to get...)

Edit: Well, technically a mad gnome.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:08:50 am by Aoi »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 01, 2020, 12:52:20 pm »

Handles fall off once enemies start having armor though. Once you get down to single-digit damage/attack, the number of TU stops mattering. And the size of weapons only matters if you plan to equip something different. It was uncommon enough when I was playing that I never minded (although packing a rocket launcher on most gals for tanks was a pain).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 01, 2020, 01:49:42 pm »

And the size of weapons only matters if you plan to equip something different. It was uncommon enough when I was playing that I never minded (although packing a rocket launcher on most gals for tanks was a pain).

I change my equipment all the time.

...Usually to first aid kits.  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 153