Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unpreventable Infections?  (Read 692 times)

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unpreventable Infections?
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:27:19 am »

In my current fortress I've made a fully stocked hospital which includes soap (with the exception of plaster powder...), with a well water source in a room right next to it (only a dusting of mud).

however, every dwarf that has been injured so far still ends up with infections in various wounds even after the history states their wounds have been cleaned with soap. Browsing the forums I've heard of things like nails and tissue never healing and being forever infected.

What might I be doing wrong? Is there any way for me to mod tissues and nails so that they heal up and prevent unfair infections?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Unpreventable Infections?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:24 am »

Drop the floor below the bucket one level -- you need two levels of water beneath the bucket to get unmuddied water.

You can alter healing rates of tissue in tissue_template_default.txt (DF folder/raw/objects, or DF folder/data/save/[current save]/raw/objects). All you need to do is add the appropriate token. I assume the numbers are linear, but have no basis for this assumption.

Sometimes infections will persist after there is only white text left for a body part. I've used DFHack to check on the blood count of the affected dwarves, and they've always been at 100% blood unless recently injured. Dwarves will go and clean off any pus that forms, which may keep the infection mild enough to not overwhelm the dwarf's 'blood regeneration'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:28:58 pm »

Ah, so the problem was that I didn't make a proper well afterall. It's only 1 z level deep!

Well, it's gonna be a pain to fix, but maybe I should start a new fort anyways due the encroaching FPS death.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 05:53:55 pm »

hence my ever spread advice: when building anything, make sure there is a way to make it stop. Better make two ways (a pair and a spare anyone?), and when working with water or magma, make sure you can drain the system in case you need to make adjustments or just want to expand the operation.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »

I managed to modify my well reservoir to be 2 z levels high and made it able to drain into the caverns too! However, it seems some goblin blood got washed off onto the floor of the reservoir during digging. As long as the blood is at the bottommost level of water it shouldn't pose problems, right?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »

That's fine. Blood can enter an Open Space tile and stay there, but that's something that normally happens when parts or corpses go flying through the air.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »

I'm currently looking at a way to deal with infection, though it seems so far only to delay death. Have only tried it on one subject so far, will purposely injure dwarves for more people to work with.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.