Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inflate error -3 upon loading  (Read 1252 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Inflate error -3 upon loading
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

I have transferred a save from an older version to the newest, and played it for a few hours last night.  Upon trying to load it this morning, a tiny window popped up claiming "Inflate error -3", and then Dwarf Fort closed.

I am not sure what this could mean!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Inflate error -3 upon loading
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:57:00 pm »

It means the save died partway through.  I've received a few of these files and the save always seems to die around the same place, but I don't have any other leads.  I'll continue working on it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00:00 pm »

Is there anything that can be done?  I can send you my data.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:11:00 pm »

Yeah, I could always use another broken save to look at where it died.  I've identified two separate places now where this is happening.  The files are shot when this happens, so it continues to be the highest priority, but it's harder to approach than some of the others.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 10:40:00 pm »

I had a crash while saving, and when I tried to start it up again I got Inflate Error -3.  I was running version 100_19a at the time.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »

Sent!  I hope by shot you don't mean 'damaged beyond repair'.   At least, I hope my world is okay.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 10:47:00 pm »

Sorry, I should have clarified -- I need the region folder too.  A savegame is the save file and the region folder.  Hopefully when you back up your saves, you've been backing up both of those things.

Generally inflate errors are very bad and the world won't be recoverable.  Most of the time it has been dying halfway through saving changes to the world map in any case.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 11:00:00 pm »

Darn.   Oh well, it's to be expected, right?  

I'll have the save folder uploaded and email the link to you shortly.

EDIT:  I really appreciate the time you're taking to check these out.  It's heart-warming.

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »

He he he.  The game is ultimately garbage if I don't fix the more catastrophic save bugs.  A lot of the future goals depend on the world holding up more than a few games.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 11:14:00 pm »

Sent!  

<OFF>
I admit, I'll be a bit forlorn should I have to abandon my world.  In the past week or so, I've grown quite attached to its locations and such. The name was "The Eternal World"- which is short and sweet.  This sort of relationship is what I feel will make this game great; imagine how I'd feel if I had played on this one world for a year, and populated it with dwarven holds and adventurers, and been a driving force behind it.  It makes it seem alive, and that is something only a handful of games have.
</OFF>

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 11:44:00 pm »

Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese.

So, even if you haven't done a dwarf mode, it has some stuff laying around, and it was playing with the economic value of various things, including hypothetical cheese made from extracts from plants that don't currently exist, and I had... forgotten something.  This floated through the game, occasionally killing it.  Your inflate error broke out in the exact right place for me to find it, so good came of your sacrifice!

Until the autosave is in, you'll have to get some kind of "backup now!" alarm, like a kitchen timer.

Thanks for the help!

edit:  then there's the other inflate error...  still working on that...

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 12:22:00 am »

Well, it is a worthy sacrifice for the future of the game.   Thank you, Sir.

Buffered

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 12:49:00 am »

I received this error as well, though I deleted the save files in question and reverted already.

However, the possible cause for my case is that the disk was completely full when I was saving, which I hadn't noticed until I got the error. In this case, the save seems to have failed without any notification. (or maybe it did say something, which disappeared becuase I hit space when it started saving and switched to another application)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 11:00:00 pm »

Yeah, it's quite lax on helpful messages about things like running out of memory and full disks.  Kind of crappy software from a technical perspective all around, really.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 09:06:00 am »

With my luck, I knew this was going to happen to me...
I played last night, then a dwarf went fey. As he obviously wanted a *lot* of things, I decided to save and backup my save, to see if what I thought was right, and in case it wasn't, I could always go back to the previous save.
So, I choose "save game", and, as it takes forever, I do something else. The screen didn't moved... I think it's due to winamp running in the background. The supposed end of the save happened when the current song changed. I think that's what screwed the whole thing up.
So the screen stayed on "saving...".
The keyboard was responding, but I coumldn't do anything.
Praying for the save to be OK, I reboot my PC, then make a backup of that save,  overwriting the previous one (now I know I shouldn't have...).
I sleep.
Today, I load that save, and guess what ? "Inflate error -3".
I have a very low internet connecxion, and so I can't upload anything, it would take all day.

So, out of despair, I ask you (all of you) : is there any way to save me (or the save, maybe) ?

I know it's impossible but...I spent a lot of time on my fortress...it's...I feel like everybody and everything is against me these days.
And sorry for the too long (and maybe not very clear) post.

Pages: [1] 2