Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Age - Nearly extinct dwarf civ  (Read 1756 times)

surferin85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Age - Nearly extinct dwarf civ
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »

Hey guys,

I started with DF two months ago and finished my terrifying fortress today (get bored at a population of 170 and not enough sieges took place).

Now I would like to play on a map where the "Goblin Age" is running and my civ is near extinction.

Civilized World Population
274 Dwarves
5160 Goblins
287 Kobolds
Total: 5721

I checked the sites to make sure that the last 274 dwarves aren't a part of the goblin civ. The problem is that only 144 dwarves live in the capital of my civ.

3: Gusilkeskal, "Coppershoots", mountain halls
Owner: The Hall of Universes, dwarves
Parent Civ: The Paper of Palms, dwarves
144 dwarves
529 goblins

Can anyone tell me what the 529 goblins are doing in this city? I read the history of the world and it is mentioned that there was war between the dwarves and the goblins. There is peace at the moment and the king is still alive.

Lokum Gearrack (b.79, Reign Began: 118), Inherited from mother, Married (d. 116)
5 Children -- Ages: 154 153 152 151 135

Do you think it is still possible to start a fortress on this world with the intention to get the (a) king?! I read many threads here where people didn't get a monarch because he/she got killed in world gen or wanted to "become immortal". And is it possible to get huge migrations waves when the population of the current Mountainhome consists of 144 dwarves?

At the end my fortress shall be the new Mountainhome and the last "goblin free" place in this world... so I hope many sieges will take place.

Would be nice to hear some of your experiences toward nearly extinct civs, monarchs, migration and fortresses taking part in the Goblin Age.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:41:05 pm by surferin85 »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Age - Nearly extinct dwarf civ
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »

The goblins could be part of the dwarf civ.  That can happen if the dwarves conquer a goblin town, or reconquer a dwarf town that the goblins took over and then sent migrants to.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:48 am »

I have a map running right now that recently went into the Goblin Age. I haven't stopped the fortress to check legends. I can abandon, wrap up the save file, and send it your way if you want.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:02:59 am »

Sorry to derail, but how do you know how many dwarves/goblins there are in the world?

surferin85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:39 am »

Sorry to derail, but how do you know how many dwarves/goblins there are in the world?

Everytime when you create a world... press "p" and you get three txt-files called "regionX-world_gen_param", "regionX-world_history" and "region1-world_sites_and_pops". In the last txt-file you can look up the total population and the population of cities, towers and so on. Oh and you get a picture-file of the map.

The goblins could be part of the dwarf civ.  That can happen if the dwarves conquer a goblin town, or reconquer a dwarf town that the goblins took over and then sent migrants to.

Hm, not good... I don't want a goblin king because I want to assign my monarch to his/her rooms.^^ And if I am right... it is possible that after time a dwarven civ gets a goblin king because they don't die of age.

I have a map running right now that recently went into the Goblin Age. I haven't stopped the fortress to check legends. I can abandon, wrap up the save file, and send it your way if you want.

Can you tell me how high the start population was? It sounds strange but I want my civ Mountainhome to extinct... so that my fortress is the last one against all the goblins. :D Maybe you can post the actual population of your world here and tell me... are there now many sieges going on?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:48:27 am by surferin85 »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »

If you build up wealth really fast (engraving native gold ore, exploiting the power of prepared meals (roasts)), you can still get a shot at a massive third-migrant wave. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »

Can you tell me how high the start population was? It sounds strange but I want my civ Mountainhome to extinct... so that my fortress is the last one against all the goblins. :D Maybe you can post the actual population of your world here and tell me... are there now many sieges going on?

I'm not sure how many dwarves there were after worldgen, or how many goblins, or whatever. Not a whole crapton of sieges. I'm not sure how to get the info you want, since I didn't export world info right after gen.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8317
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?